Tottenham Hotspur v West Bromwich Albion (Sun 21st Sep)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My thoughts to help you pass the time at work: http://windycoys.com/2014/09/getting-wba-off-my-chest/
Great article as always Windy. Thanks.

But I've got a question. If playing in Europe midweek screws teams' preparations for the subsequent league match, how come all the top teams don't lose more games against weaker opposition? Could it be that they fix their base style and system and let the opponents do the reshuffling and replanning.

I'm concerned that our recent managers do too much chopping and changing and this overdesign complicates things too much for our players, who then seem to switch off during the match.

Just seen on twitter some guy who is a "financial planner" and one of his clients is a spurs player..he was told by this unnamed spurs player that once things get tough on the pitch, the three captains all go into a shell which is just brilliant. Also dembele was tired as his mrs just had a baby, Poch doesn't fancy verts but he'll be allowed to buy who he wants in the next transfer window..interesting
My brother's cousin works with someone who knows a bloke whose penfriend sold Paulinho a pair of Toy Story underpants.
Apparently, he puts them on back to front and this slows him down during games.

Great article as always Windy. Thanks.

But I've got a question. If playing in Europe midweek screws teams' preparations for the subsequent league match, how come all the top teams don't lose more games against weaker opposition? Could it be that they fix their base style and system and let the opponents do the reshuffling and replanning.

I'm concerned that our recent managers do too much chopping and changing and this overdesign complicates things too much for our players, who then seem to switch off during the match.

The really big teams play *their* way and let the opposition adapt to them, because they're that good. The rest of us still need to actually consider the opposition's style, if not change tactics to accommodate them.

Noticeable that Liverpool and Everton also struggled this weekend after European games midweek...

The really big teams play *their* way and let the opposition adapt to them, because they're that good. The rest of us still need to actually consider the opposition's style, if not change tactics to accommodate them.

Noticeable that Liverpool and Everton also struggled this weekend after European games midweek...

I actually disagree about *their* way, two of the most successful managers in the PL era; Mourinho and SAF have often adapted heavily to suit opposition. Look at Chelsea's 2-0 win at Anfield last season for example, and I noticed that the better Spurs got in the late 00's how SAF kept putting out more negative lineups, looking to nick a narrow win. Also look at how differently RM play when they face Barca since Pep became manager.

It's all relative really.

I understand but my point is that maybe we try to "adapt" too much and should settle on a core style that can be tweaked to deal with particular threats or opportunities.

I thought that's what Poch was all about; a fairly constant style based on high energy pressing all over the pitch and fast transition.

Are we really playing very slowly and making bad decisions due to a lack of tactical prep and training time between matches?

I just don't buy it.

For the Woolwich game we are all expecting fuck all now and maybe a cricket score if we're not careful.

Makes a change from us going there on a high thinking "we'll do these bastards this time" so it probably won't hurt as much when the inevitable happens. On the flip side, should we do the unimaginable and actually turn up to a NLD away from home and put in a top performance the result will be even sweeter. A bit like the comeback a few years ago when we were down and out at 2-0 and getting pulled all over the place.

What a fantastic day that was. Kaboul scored the winner. Sadly the Kaboul turning out for Spurs currently is not the same player. Bale and Defoe may be a miss also.

I think this result will be a good thing. It'll give Poch a great excuse to shake things up and I expect we'll change at least two of our defenders around. We'll also have an excuse to try out someone like Mason in midfield and even replace Ade up top if Poch thinks it will help. It'll also give us an extra kick up our ass for the game against Woolwich and I reckon we might surprise ourselves with a half decent result.

I actually disagree about *their* way, two of the most successful managers in the PL era; Mourinho and SAF have often adapted heavily to suit opposition. Look at Chelsea's 2-0 win at Anfield last season for example, and I noticed that the better Spurs got in the late 00's how SAF kept putting out more negative lineups, looking to nick a narrow win. Also look at how differently RM play when they face Barca since Pep became manager.

It's all relative really.
Whilst I know what you're saying, these games are few and far between because they don't need to adapt to the majority - so it's definitely easier for them to cope with the extra demand. And, of course, they have better players, so a little drop in quality is not necessarily game changing.

I understand but my point is that maybe we try to "adapt" too much and should settle on a core style that can be tweaked to deal with particular threats or opportunities.

I thought that's what Poch was all about; a fairly constant style based on high energy pressing all over the pitch and fast transition.

Are we really playing very slowly and making bad decisions due to a lack of tactical prep and training time between matches?

I just don't buy it.

That's not the only reason but I don't think it helps. Genuinely think Dembele was the main reason for slow pace - you need someone setting the tempo in the midfield and he did - the wrong way.

:memeokay:
Melt. Crap result. Crap performance. We need another forward to kick our "guaranteed" starters up the hole. It's a sin to leave us without a plan B in a formation that doesn't work half the time. Melt over. It's the woppa Saturday. Let's just fuckin:smesh:

Don't give in to anger, that way leads to the dark-side...

Anyone called for Poch to be sacked yet or are we blaming it on:

1. ENIC
  2. Summer Transfer window (2013 or 2014)
  3. Kaboul or alternative scapegoat
  4. Bale
  5. The kit
  6. Modern football
  7. The stadium
  8. Archway
  9. Chick King
  10. The boogie
Enquiring minds want to know....

In order for me on Sunday it was...

Chiriches
Rose
Capoue
Adebayor
Dembele
Chadli
Eriksen
Dier
Kaboul
Lamela
Lloris

Special sub mention for Paulinho, almost worked his way above most of the first XI above!

How any professional manager could "not fancy" Vertonghen in his team is beyond me, i hope thats bullshit
His attitude has been stinking out the lane for a while now... maybe Poch sees right through him for what he is, wont win nothing if he is not committed to the cause.

That's not the only reason but I don't think it helps. Genuinely think Dembele was the main reason for slow pace - you need someone setting the tempo in the midfield and he did - the wrong way.
That's a great point and I'd like to see a true captain in that position, setting the tempo and leading by example.

Roberts was great. Were you at the home UEFA Cup match against Barcelona that turned into a bloodbath? The most brutal match I've ever seen and he was in his element.

Unfortunately No. I do remember the game although my memory plays tricks on me. They cheated big time especially in Spain, how times have changed?

In order for me on Sunday it was...

Chiriches
Rose
Capoue
Adebayor
Dembele
Chadli
Eriksen
Dier
Kaboul
Lamela
Lloris

Special sub mention for Paulinho, almost worked his way above most of the first XI above!
Funny old game, I thought Rose and Capoue were our best outfield players.

Back
Top Bottom