Poch's second season vs AVB's second season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At the risk of incurring Arcy's wrath, I have to say that I've never felt more disconnected with Spurs than during AVB's tenure.

Same for me.

I think it was a mixture of a cold manager, boring style of play, and a lack of compelling players to get behind. Not all AVB's fault, but it was difficult to care about the matches each week there for a stretch.

Same for me.

I think it was a mixture of a cold manager, boring style of play, and a lack of compelling players to get behind. Not all AVB's fault, but it was difficult to care about the matches each week there for a stretch.
No, it wasn't all his fault, and I still went to games of course, but the football was terrible and the atmosphere reflected that. We didn't seem to be going anywhere. Oh well, it's all in the past now.

I'm with you ArcspacE...AVB was never given the time or space to manage his squad.
He arrived with the Chelsea fiasco still nibbling at his heels.
He inherited a squad of players, a number of whom probably were unable to communicate with each other and the existing squad members.
Bye the way how many of the Magnificent 7 are still with us?
Then, to cap it all, he was undermined by that snake Sherwood in the case of 'Pussy Galore' and did not
receive the backing of Levy.
Was he wrong to identify Pussy Galore as a destabilizing influence in the dressing room?
So he walked, as any professional would have done in the circumstances.
As for his managerial/coaching ability take a look at the UEFA's current season club coefficient rankings...whose top I wonder?

To a certain extent so am I.

I'm on board with Poch now but some of his earlier stuff was worse than AVB IMO.
And, while I like what I've seen recently, the debacle of the cup NLD defeat still hurts especially when a cunt like Flamini won the game for them as a direct result of Fazio playing.
I also agree that Poch takes the EL too seriously as I believe top 4 should take priority so playing 8 first teamers at Quarabaag just before the Chavs game was also a mistake and two points dropped!

AVB had a rough deal under Levy and was also undermined by Sherwood!
Yes he had a few poor performances but every side has that and he had some good ones notably two away defeats at Everton 1-2 and Liverpool 2-3 where we played really well and were desperately unlucky!
:avbhumph:

Chalk & cheese in terms of personnel & playing style. I liked AVB & was glad we employed him at the time. However, his tactics became predictable & many of our games were downright boring. As Joe Clash Joe Clash says, there was an element of detachment between club & fans. After Bale went, it all went belly up. It became obvious we had been very much a one man team. Whoever was responsible for squandering the Bale transfer money needs a kick in the bollocks. Too many heavy defeats ultimately did for AVB (& rightly so IMO because we became too predictable and were too easily outfought).

What we now have is a large majority of people buying into what Poch is trying to do. People are seeing the foundations of a very young, powerful & skilful squad. It's been said elsewhere but we don't have a soft side any longer. Fans are enjoying the ride again because the football is generally entertaining, we don't appear as likely to end up on the wrong end of a thrashing, we are highly capable of handing out a thrashing & the squad is only going to get better & stronger.

I don't know what would have happened any more than you do.

Obviously but it's my opinion that the odds on us beating the Chavs would have been much shorter had Poch rested more first teamers!

Of course we don't "know" what would have happened on this or anything else which is why people express opinions on forums.

It's a balance of probabilities at the end of the day,

(even if I did want a few more not to travel to Baku, but that is beside the point)[/QUOTE]

That's exactly the point but of course we'll "never know"!

Obviously but it's my opinion that the odds on us beating the Chavs would have been much shorter had Poch rested more first teamers!

Of course we don't "know" what would have happened on this or anything else which is why people express opinions on forums.

It's a balance of probabilities at the end of the day,

Ok, if top 4 is so important to you, why do you slate Poch for playing a weak team against woolwich in the cup when the 1st team dismantled City 3 days later? We got the qualification we needed and now we can coast a little bit against Monaco. If we'd have lost the Qarabag game we'd have needed a result against Monaco. You say you're onboard (and I don't mind either way) but as Millbanks Millbanks said, as soon as he does a couple of things you don't agree with and the knives will be out again - which is fine. As you say, forums are there for people to express opinions.

Ok, if top 4 is so important to you, why do you slate Poch for playing a weak team against woolwich in the cup when the 1st team dismantled City 3 days later? We got the qualification we needed and now we can coast a little bit against Monaco. If we'd have lost the Qarabag game we'd have needed a result against Monaco. You say you're onboard (and I don't mind either way) but as Millbanks Millbanks said, as soon as he does a couple of things you don't agree with and the knives will be out again - which is fine. As you say, forums are there for people to express opinions.

And I also said to Millbanks that the knives wouldn't be out as I've seen enough to support his tenure now but you've conveniently left that bit out.

You asking why I slated a Spurs manager for fielding a weakened side against Woolwich who subsequently knocked us out of a cup competition as a result beggars belief!

Are you really a Spurs fan?

Do I have to point out to you that Woolwich are the enemy and any Spurs manager must pull out all of the stops to beat them no matter what?

I fucking detest them with a passion closely followed by the Chavs!
: ostrich:

Unbeaten after Europa League games, reckon the same old bollocks will still come out about not being able to play two games in 3 days.

(even if I did want a few more not to travel to Baku, but that is beside the point)
It's not so much a question of being unbeaten. We've drawn more than we've won. The problem is we're not winning enough.

Swansea - I'd say a 2-2 draw there is 2 pts lost. They were in a pisspoor run, being beaten by the likes of Watford and Norwich, and needing a soft pen to get a draw with Bournemouth. They've won 2 all season - Villa and Newcastle. Should have been 3 pts for us.

Goons - we bossed them for 70 mins, but they fought their way back and by the end we were hanging on for 1 pt. We couldn't sustain the high tempo.

Chavs - we never got out of the blocks. We covered about the least ground in a match all season. They too were in the middle of a shocking run. Yes, they raised their game and set out to nullify us, but they couldn't have lived with a display like v WetSpam.

Hardly coincidental.

Yes, we're doing better than in our post EL matches than last season, but we're a very different team. Toby in defence, Dier as CM protecting them, Dembelé performing like AVB 1st season where we were getting 2pts+ every match he started.

Without EL I'd say we'd be possible champions. With it, no more than evens for top 4. It's Poch's one blind spot. In everything else he's playing a blinder.

And I also said to Millbanks that the knives wouldn't be out as I've seen enough to support his tenure now but you've conveniently left that bit out.

You asking why I slated a Spurs manager for fielding a weakened side against Woolwich who subsequently knocked us out of a cup competition as a result beggars belief!

Are you really a Spurs fan?

Do I have to point out to you that Woolwich are the enemy and any Spurs manager must pull out all of the stops to beat them no matter what?

I fucking detest them with a passion closely followed by the Chavs!
: ostrich:

But you believe top 4 is the nuts? And, no you're right, I'm not a Spurs fan, and I have no idea that woolwich are the enemy, thanks for pointing that out. I wish you'd told me that before I went to the fucking game you hypocritical old goat. I suppose you were throwing things at the TV, with your passion and all.

To a certain extent so am I.

I'm on board with Poch now but some of his earlier stuff was worse than AVB IMO.
And, while I like what I've seen recently, the debacle of the cup NLD defeat still hurts especially when a cunt like Flamini won the game for them as a direct result of Fazio playing.
I also agree that Poch takes the EL too seriously as I believe top 4 should take priority so playing 8 first teamers at Quarabaag just before the Chavs game was also a mistake and two points dropped!

AVB had a rough deal under Levy and was also undermined by Sherwood!
Yes he had a few poor performances but every side has that and he had some good ones notably two away defeats at Everton 1-2 and Liverpool 2-3 where we played really well and were desperately unlucky!
:avbhumph:

Not wishing to open up a war of words with you but surely the good performances you have highlighted ending in defeat surely speaks volumes when you consider the bad results that got him sacked were absolute drubbings.

But you believe top 4 is the nuts? And, no you're right, I'm not a Spurs fan, and I have no idea that woolwich are the enemy, thanks for pointing that out. I wish you'd told me that before I went to the fucking game you hypocritical old goat. I suppose you were throwing things at the TV, with your passion and all.

Lol

Less of the old you young whippersnapper!
:wansum:

I was going to the Lane when you were still crawling around in your nappies!

Yes I was throwing my false teeth at the tv during the NLD as I was major pissed off!

Anything else you want me to point out to you just let me know!

What's wrong Joe?
Is it because your mate Gibbsy's binned and you've no-one to fight with?

Lol

Less of the old you young whippersnapper!
:wansum:

I was going to the Lane when you were still crawling around in your nappies!

Yes I was throwing my false teeth at the tv during the NLD as I was major pissed off!

Anything else you want me to point out to you just let me know!

What's wrong Joe?
Is it because your mate Gibbsy's binned and you've no-one to fight with?

Nothing's wrong. Let's leave it.

Back
Top Bottom