Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll stick my head into the hornets nest that is the discussion of whether we have more than one striker, whether Clinton can be considered a striker and what have you.

I'll say right of that I'm not making excuses for Levy and company, as I agree with most (all?) that we need a striker signed by tomorrow. However claiming that a striker needs to be a certain build or size is an outdated view. A striker doesn't need to be built like Pelle. Just like we don't need to play like (Koeman's) Soton. Obviously you wouldn't want to be passing it to the feet of Son or Clinton when Huth is right upon the striker but look to pass into space instead.

Kane doesn't play as a classic lone striker either. People just insist on thinking so, because of his insane goal tally last season. He moves into a wide variety of positions. All the heat maps I remember seeing confirms this. Our play isn't set up to require a stationary striker. With the recent signings we have a number of players who can move into the space vacated by Kane or alternatively Son/Clinton. Those two - when not playing as the striker - can interchange both with the other winger and the striker as can Chadli, Mason (if played as one of the three behind the striker), Alli (same as Mason) and to a lesser extent Pritchard, Lamela, and Eriksen.

Claiming we have one striker option right now shows a limited and very basic understanding of football tactics.

I have a sneaky suspicion that we're not going to be signing anyone tomorrow.

Jeremy Peace seems intent on making Levy look like a melon over the whole Berahino saga; so unless we pay what he wants, then we're not getting him. Are there any other strikers that are going to give us 15 league goals within our budget that are going to want to join us without CL football?

I'm content with Dier at CDM. No real need to fork out for another one when we've got a young, English player who is talented and shows passion. So it looks as though we're only going to be getting a striker, if anything.

However, I've got a sneaky feeling that Levy's left it too late. With that being said I still hope that he proves me wrong by 6pm when we've resigned Bale and Modric and got Benzema on a free in exchange for Adebayor and a 20% off Sainsbury's voucher.

:levyeyes:

Wijnaldum
Estede
Ayew
Okazaki
Sterling
Benteke
Payet
Lanzini
Cabaye
Sako
Sinclair
M'Vila
Lens
Depay
Falcao
Pedro
Rondon

Got to be careful getting your players too early in the window, especially the free ones. So far only every single one of the above has managed to score a league or champions league goal. Shaqiri only got an assist in his first game and Thauvin only managed a goal in the league cup so they're shit as well.

As we head into the final day of the window, is there anyone here that would like to tell me why there are so many people hell bent on Levy signing Berahino. He is hardly prolific.
Unless Levy has a spectacular last day worldie surprise in store, I think Austin would fit the bill much better.
I agree, Berahino IS stupid money. Just look at Swansea's and Southampton's signings in the last couple of years. They seem to find reasonably priced strikers! We haven't got a decent attacking midfielder unless Eriksen and/or Alli perform. Kane can't play on his own up front. Chadli doesn't really cut it. He tries but all of his final touches are woeful.To score goals, we need to play 442 with more than one player able to kick the ball towards the oppo's goal.

With 18 hours to go we still don't have another striker.WBA want Fazio, we want
Berahino what's so difficult? Probably Levy's grasp of the purse strings. In the meantime we still have that piece of junk,Adebayor plus Dembele who has been a lot less than decent this season as well as Lamela who has been equally unimpressive. Too late for most deals but for christ's sake Levy, get something done to enable us to score the occasional goal.

Don't think they want Fazio anymore. They signed Johnny Evans from Man Utd a few days ago.

I'll stick my head into the hornets nest that is the discussion of whether we have more than one striker, whether Clinton can be considered a striker and what have you.

I'll say right of that I'm not making excuses for Levy and company, as I agree with most (all?) that we need a striker signed by tomorrow. However claiming that a striker needs to be a certain build or size is an outdated view. A striker doesn't need to be built like Pelle. Just like we don't need to play like (Koeman's) Soton. Obviously you wouldn't want to be passing it to the feet of Son or Clinton when Huth is right upon the striker but look to pass into space instead.

Kane doesn't play as a classic lone striker either. People just insist on thinking so, because of his insane goal tally last season. He moves into a wide variety of positions. All the heat maps I remember seeing confirms this. Our play isn't set up to require a stationary striker. With the recent signings we have a number of players who can move into the space vacated by Kane or alternatively Son/Clinton. Those two - when not playing as the striker - can interchange both with the other winger and the striker as can Chadli, Mason (if played as one of the three behind the striker), Alli (same as Mason) and to a lesser extent Pritchard, Lamela, and Eriksen.

Claiming we have one striker option right now shows a limited and very basic understanding of football tactics.

One Centre Forward then. Claiming we have satisfactory options is desperate in the extreme. Most of the players potentially being relied upon for such interchanging, positional cover and goals are also totally unproven for us and/or the league/level (including Lamela!). Mason lol.

It's a fucking shambles of a situation and that's a fact. Anybody disputing it is a prick who knows fuck all about football, they're not a great supporter compared to others just for being all positive or apathetic about it.

However, I've got a sneaky feeling that Levy's left it too late.
Disregarding your 'sneaky feelings' do you have anything constructive to say? Your opinions mean nothing to me, so what are you saying? You know - based on some kind of football knowledge. God forbid you are a Johnny come lately stroker with a shit username - that couldn't happen, could it?

Jeremy Peace seems intent on making Levy look like a melon over the whole Berahino saga; so unless we pay what he wants, then we're not getting him. Are there any other strikers that are going to give us 15 league goals within our budget that are going to want to join us without CL football?
It's a weird one. The lack of alternative strikers being brought in (and I do mean striker, not attacking midfielder or winger), and the apparent intention of us to lodge another bid for Berahino makes me think we're being told (privately) something rather different to Jeremy Peace's public statements.

Aside from the strong wording of 'not for sale' in his last statement, the whole thing has played out almost exactly as I'd imagined it would. Spurs bid > turned down; transfer request; second bid > turned down...

I'm a cynical cunt. My gut feeling is that the whole thing is a show - the end result being Berahino sold for £25m and Peace looking like his hands were tied, and got a damn good deal.

Time (thankfully not much left) will tell, of course.
The thing that interests me now is the whole Martial transfer to Man United, because if you think about it... wouldn't Berahino have been a safer/significantly cheaper alternative to boost their attack?

The fact they didn't go for him, to me, would be down to one of two reasons:

- Berahino is actually, properly, no kidding around, not for sale for any price (which for a player with only two years left on his contract, wants to leave, and has plenty of alternative strikers in the squad sounds like madness to me)
- Berahino to us is already done. In all but formal announcements.

- OR United really didn't bother with him. Which is... well, they're run like a shit show, so nothing would surprise me right now.

i was only messing with you mate. :dierpochhug:
Thought so, but just in case.
0iSvaNF.png

Ha ha - I agree, but he fools people like Benjamin Benjamin .

I'm not going to pretend that I know the ins and outs of Spanish football. I have no idea whether or not there is a presedent for a transfer extension over there. Marcotti was on ESPN and talking about it. I wrote that here. You don't like the guy? Not my fucking problem. Did I once claim that everything he says is gospel? Obviously, no, I didn't. Not exactly sure why the snide comment about him fooling "people like me" line was necessary.

It's a weird one.
It's not that weird. Desperate rich club gets fucked over by slightly less richer club who take exception to rich club fucking them about - just like you or I would. Rich club's wanky fans bitch like fuck and switch their attention to some bloke called Wilson, and pretend that that was the plan all along.

Unwanky fans moan at wanky fans, club goes into administration, and we all end up supporting west h, because they have loads of free tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom