Nabil Bentaleb

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Honestly think this is just agent talk, unless you guys have heard something about the credibility of this rumour from your side?

Brahimi was one of those 'new Zidane'. Graduated from that famous Clairefontaine academy and was really highly touted as a 17/18 year old. Likes of Real Madrid were keeping tabs on him.

Anyways he struggled with injury problems early on and when he finally recovered at around 20/21, he didn't get along with the coach at Rennes: Antonetti. It wasn't just him, likes of Yann M'Vila too, the coach was a bit controversial. He went to Granada and he's been great there for two seasons now.

This year, he led La Liga in dribbling over Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar. So, so gifted at getting past players with the utmost simplicity, such a joy to watch. Been linked to Juve, Everton, and Spurs.

If there's one thing he has to improve it's his end product though. Only 3 goals and 3 assists this season I think. He often gets himself in the right positions then makes the wrong pass or fails to finish. But I think it's something he can rectify fairly easily.

Watch this (starts at 1: 17)

Honestly think this is just agent talk, unless you guys have heard something about the credibility of this rumour from your side?

Brahimi was one of those 'new Zidane'. Graduated from that famous Clairefontaine academy and was really highly touted as a 17/18 year old. Likes of Real Madrid were keeping tabs on him.

Anyways he struggled with injury problems early on and when he finally recovered at around 20/21, he didn't get along with the coach at Rennes: Antonetti. It wasn't just him, likes of Yann M'Vila too, the coach was a bit controversial. He went to Granada and he's been great there for two seasons now.

This year, he led La Liga in dribbling over Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar. So, so gifted at getting past players with the utmost simplicity, such a joy to watch. Been linked to Juve, Everton, and Spurs.

If there's one thing he has to improve it's his end product though. Only 3 goals and 3 assists this season I think. He often gets himself in the right positions then makes the wrong pass or fails to finish. But I think it's something he can rectify fairly easily.

Watch this (starts at 1: 17)

so basically if we bought him, it would be lennon all over again? sign him up danny boy!

skikdi skikdi he is one of the players we really fear , how s your defence because your attack seems pretty strong

Lots of people in Belgium believe Algeria to be an easy game but i for one am more afraid of your team than Russia or South Korea, the only thing that might prove hard is for your players to deal with the experienced bastards we have on our team, we tend to get on the good side of red cards often.

Last edited:
skikdi skikdi he is one of the players we really fear , how s your defence because your attack seems pretty strong

Lots of people in Belgium believe Algeria to be an easy game but i for one am more afraid of your team than Russia or South Korea, the only thing that might prove hard is for your players to deal with the experienced bastards we have on our team, we tend to get on the good side of red cards often.
Defence is a bit shaky.

This team is the antithesis of 2010, when we played a 3-5-2 (3-6-1 vs. England) and institued a low bloc. Focus was on snuffing out opposition attacks and relying on a few individuals to carry us offensively.

Certainly not the case anymore and even if Brahimi doesn't start vs. Belgium, Mahrez, Djabou, Soudani are good enough to hurt you as well. But you're right in asking about our defence. Quality is there, but chemistry isn't and it's a bit worrying.

Defence is a bit shaky.

This team is the antithesis of 2010, when we played a 3-5-2 (3-6-1 vs. England) and institued a low bloc. Focus was on snuffing out opposition attacks and relying on a few individuals to carry us offensively.

Certainly not the case anymore and even if Brahimi doesn't start vs. Belgium, Mahrez, Djabou, Soudani are good enough to hurt you as well. But you're right in asking about our defence. Quality is there, but chemistry isn't and it's a bit worrying.
Really good insight into the strengths & weaknesses of an up & coming nation. I hope you do well in the World Cup, & that your best players get the recognition they deserve-particularly Bentaleb. I reckon this guy can be incredible for Spurs. Of all the mess of last season, he was brilliant - his age & the fact that he had no high profile. Nothing but respect for this kid right now

Nabil has a massive opportunity to show Poch he is capable of being a 2014/15 starting player.
Dembele not starting, Sandro not in Brazil squad - two players at risk of being a backup !!!!

No doubt. Impressive performance from him in a game Poch undoubtedly had a keen eye on.

Unpopular opinion but I would already play him over Paulinho and don't think he's that far from beating out Dembele. His skill set is much larger than Dembele, just needs more experience.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion but I would already play him over Paulinho and don't think he's that far from beating out Dembele. His skill set is much largely than Dembele, just needs more experience.

I agree. I think as Bentaleb fills out in the next year or so he could come to encompass some of Dembele's best skills, and therefore become a more versatile player at an earlier stage in his career. I'm looser on agreeing on vs Paulinho because the latter provides goals and Bentaleb doesn't yet provide the threat of assists and key passes to compensate (as Badelj, Clasie, and Banega would), but I think he could come to do so with a bit more pace in his game and more aggression that comes with confidence and experience. His passing ability is top notch for his age though, so he has an excellent foundation from which to build upon.

Whispers of a 12 month loan to Charlton? Anyone lend some credence to that?

I hope it doesn't materialize. Would love for him to have a season similar to last year. Not sure I want him to play every game, but maybe some 20+ appearances. If he is loaned out, I hope it's to a Premier League side. Maybe Burnley or something.

As most of you noted he was pretty good vs. Belgium. He played in a beautiful one-time chip pass for a pre-assist that Feghouli converted. Hard for him to really express himself as we tried to shut up shop, but he still played some 30 passes, which was amongst the highest in the team.

He's expected to start vs. Korea tomorrow, but he's on a yellow so he'll have to be cautious. One more and he'll miss the final match vs. Russia.

Back
Top Bottom