Next Seasons Kit Sponsor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

AIA Or HP ?

• Total voters
I think this was answered above, but I'll reiterate it: a company like AIG isn't ever going to make money off a regular Joe (unlike, say, Chang). But when they come in to put a giant bid insure a skyscraper, the team of City boys deciding who will get the bid will have at least heard of AIG from the Man U shirts. Man U fans or not, that carries with it some kind of intangible appeal, gives the illusion of stability, and ties the firm with a winner (er…).

IIRC, in an earlier post you suggested that you'd just pick whatever bid was the cheapest, but that's not the criteria followed by all companies. Some will get swayed by what it means to partner up with AIG, which would include Man U tickets, etc., as well as AIG's possibly good services.

I mean, every big-time insurer I can think of I either know about from reading Matt Taibbi's articles (bad) or their sponsorship of football clubs (good). With neither resource, I'd have no idea. Of course, I'll also probably never have to deal directly with such an entity…

I never realised the corporate world was so vain and shallow...I suppose now I think about it, it makes sense.

No, but I have NOT bought stuff 'coz they sponsor other teams!

Indeed, but apparently it doesn't matter that a large percentage of people from North London and surrounding areas will irrationally refuse to by JVC appliances, because in an office somewhere in London a JVC executive was still getting deals tied up off the back of a few Woolwich freebies.

To all who have tried explaining this to me, I apologise if I've sounded facetious but I really, really don't understand the thinking behind how this works. If I were one of these guys working in the City and went looking for a company to insure my skyscraper or to fly my board members around the world, and one of these companies said "hey we're partners with Man United...yes, that Man United, how would you like some tickets to a game?" ..or worse still, tickets for a Woolwich game! I'd probably look at the fella like he'd just raped my dog and refuse to do business now or at any point in the future. But then, this is just how football polarises opinions and why I feel that companies who advertise via football teams can potentially alienate more customers than they attract.

I never realised the corporate world was so vain and shallow...I suppose now I think about it, it makes sense.

Indeed, but apparently it doesn't matter that a large percentage of people from North London and surrounding areas will irrationally refuse to by JVC appliances, because in an office somewhere in London a JVC executive was still getting deals tied up off the back of a few Woolwich freebies.

To all who have tried explaining this to me, I apologise if I've sounded facetious but I really, really don't understand the thinking behind how this works. If I were one of these guys working in the City and went looking for a company to insure my skyscraper or to fly my board members around the world, and one of these companies said "hey we're partners with Man United...yes, that Man United, how would you like some tickets to a game?" ..or worse still, tickets for a Woolwich game! I'd probably look at the fella like he'd just raped my dog and refuse to do business now or at any point in the future. But then, this is just how football polarises opinions and why I feel that companies who advertise via football teams can potentially alienate more customers than they attract.

Alienate people on the ground, absolutely you are correct. But the people that those people in private planes are watching the game with? Nah they absolutely couldn't care less.

If I were one of these guys working in the City and went looking for a company to insure my skyscraper or to fly my board members around the world, and one of these companies said "hey we're partners with Man United...yes, that Man United, how would you like some tickets to a game?" ..or worse still, tickets for a Woolwich game! I'd probably look at the fella like he'd just raped my dog and refuse to do business now or at any point in the future.

No offence intended, but that would be quite a large obstacle to being in that sort of role. Part of the secret to success in corporation, from my experience, is having zero negativity, or not letting personal views affect your work life. If you ever refused a deal in business because of football-related reasons then you'd be committing career suicide.

You'd be more likely to find that they'd say "we've got some hospitality for a football game, here you go - maybe you could reward your staff, run a competition or do a charity raffle", it wouldn't be a testicle measuring exercise.

Out of interest though, as you don't seem to have been afflicted by industry so much, what sort of work are you in? (if you don't mind me asking?)[/quote]

This 'red-color-on-the-shirt' debate is really silly. :avbshock:

It's only 'silly' 'cos WE associate RED totally with THEM...
...whereas THEY are 'lucky' enough to already have WHITE as part of their kit (sleeves) ...THEY don't associate WHITE with US... therefore, there is no comparison. (and if there is, it's an unfair, skewed comparison.)

Mind you, I do recall there being some outcry over there about the NAVY bands on the sleeves/collar!
But nowhere near as much fuss as WE made over anything red coming within spitting distance of ours.

The irony being, 4 of the last 5 sponsors (since HOLSTEN) have had red in them in some shape or form!
So much for NEVER RED!

i see that on the southampton shirts

talking of that, based on the rest of the thread, here's an interesting extract showing the effect of PL sponsorship, taken from aap3.com (So'tons sponsor)

Southampton FC Sponsorship
Our partnership with Southampton FC first began when we gave our backing to the Saints Foundation, working with the organisation to give vital assistance to local charities, communities and individuals.

Due to our association with the Club our partnership expanded and, following discussions whilst Saints were in League 1, we were delighted to become Main Club Sponsor entering into a 3 year sponsorship period commencing in the 2011/12 season. Little did we know that they would win promotion to the Championship at the end of the 2011 season and the first year the aap3 logo was displayed on their shirts was not only during the Championship season but Saints stormed to a glorious second successive promotion into the English Premier League after seven years away at the end of the 2011/12 season. We hoped that the aap3 logo had been a lucky omen for the club.

Life in the Premiership was so different … and so very exciting when playing teams such as Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool! The fact that the aap3 logo had literally “gone global” overnight immediately elevated our branding throughout the world and, at the same time, emphasising our support for all at the club.

Everyone at aap³ is proud to be sponsoring the team as the players take on some of the biggest names in football at St Mary’s during 2013/14, and we’re equally honoured to continue our involvement with the good works of the Saints Foundation.

We are a global company but have our roots deep in the city of Southampton where we were founded and our headquarters is still located. We’ll be marching on with the Saints every step of the way.

Lucky break to get a League 1 deal that ran all the way through to the Prem! I'm willing to be that they got a lot of deals through that exposure over the last 2.5 years

Lucky break to get a League 1 deal that ran all the way through to the Prem! I'm willing to be that they got a lot of deals through that exposure over the last 2.5 years

Perfect example, and undoubtedly since there's no way they could sustain sponsoring a Prem-level team without a consequential boon in business.

Perfect example, and undoubtedly since there's no way they could sustain sponsoring a Prem-level team without a consequential boon in business.

Thats the thing - they signed for 3 years in the 11/12 season, meaning the last two seasons have been on the same terms? So I guess now they've renewed (judging by the fact they're on next season's kit?) that it shows they now have had either great success worth investing in the sponsorship, and/or great growth as a result and can now afford it?

Thats the thing - they signed for 3 years in the 11/12 season, meaning the last two seasons have been on the same terms? So I guess now they've renewed (judging by the fact they're on next season's kit?) that it shows they now have had either great success worth investing in the sponsorship, and/or great growth as a result and can now afford it?

There's no way there's not at least an agreement for add-ons in that contract. Southampton would be depriving themselves of quite a bit of money if that weren't the case.

There's no way there's not at least an agreement for add-ons in that contract. Southampton would be depriving themselves of quite a bit of money if that weren't the case.
Perhaps, but you'd be on drugs to expect the success they've had! Two successful promotions and now drawing with the league leaders 2-2

Perhaps, but you'd be on drugs to expect the success they've had! Two successful promotions and now drawing with the league leaders 2-2

Of course, but no club sees that possibility and doesn't protect themselves in their contracts, even if it is a local company. No doubt they discuss add-ons and conversely drop-downs if they are promoted or relegated, respectively.

Michael Jackson & AIG.

If you don't watch or read the news, I don't see how you'd expect to know who companies are and what they do, really?
:avbcringe:

FFS man. First of all I assumed you were joking about this AIG/Michael Jackson thing, but I've read you whanging on about it over a few pages of this thread now and have had to assume you're being serious. AIG, former sponsors of Man Utd are an insurance company who, as far as I'm aware, have not had any dealings with Michael Jackson. I think you're getting confused with AEG, the events promoter. See the article below as evidence of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24375844

Incidently, AEG do have a football connection as they were the company that we were in partnership with in our bid to get the Olympic Stadium:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/oct/05/spurs-olympic-stadium-aeg-bid

I imagine If it's 5 years then it's a big one. I can't remember a time when we had such a long term sponsorship agreement.

But really, it feels like levy trolling again with the red on the shirt. I don't expect a professional board to put logo colour very high on their list of priorities for sponsors, but surely someone could have a word with aia about it? I guess if they are an Asian company then they will want to protect their corporate identity and ensure they have the 'lucky' color.

Still you have to laugh. Club says out the tout - signs a deal with stubhub.
Club says never red - puts red on the club shirt
What's next? Are they going to start a second hotspur?

Back
Top Bottom