Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s also about the overall flow of the game. Not individual moments. It feels to me like it’s hard to build a real dominating performance from the start when he starts. We could of easily conceded that goal when he was on as well.

We might have some good spells, but we always seem to lose momentum when he’s in midfield. feels like he wants to slow everything down even when we’re dominating and got momentum and off the ball I just think he leaves massive space with his lack of athleticism.

Our record is now 1W 2 D, and 4Ls in the 7 matches he’s started.

Not placing all the blame on him but he’s a big reason we struggle

Our record is now 1W 2 D, and 4Ls in the 7 matches he’s started.

Not placing all the blame on him but he’s a big reason we struggle
That’s incredible - he’s absolutely toxic. A debilitating presence, that’s saps energy and blunts progressive, intricate play

Why the hell is he still here

He was on for other 80 when our midfield couldn’t string two passes together?
It’s also about the overall flow of the game. Not individual moments. It feels to me like it’s hard to build a real dominating performance from the start when he starts. We could of easily conceded that goal when he was on as well.

We might have some good spells, but we always seem to lose momentum when he’s in midfield. feels like he wants to slow everything down even when we’re dominating and got momentum and off the ball I just think he leaves massive space with his lack of athleticism.
Whilst I don't disagree with his overall quality, it's more that every time we drop points the first player to get blamed is... Hojberg.

He isn't a long term player in this system, but we were winning 2-1 away from home up until the 95th minute, conceded a last minute goal when he's not even on the pitch and then it's Hojberg can't string a pass together's fault.

When he came on against Brentford in the week he changed the game.

Hog and Bent poor performances.
Not poor players. Let's give the Toffees credit.
Let's look back to the Brentford game as well and realise pretty football is all well and good but we must show character as well.
Hog has done more good than bad for us this season and it will be tough to improve on him in the summer.

Whilst I don't disagree with his overall quality, it's more that every time we drop points the first player to get blamed is... Hojberg.

He isn't a long term player in this system, but we were winning 2-1 away from home up until the 95th minute, conceded a last minute goal when he's not even on the pitch and then it's Hojberg can't string a pass together's fault.

When he came on against Brentford in the week he changed the game.
Good post....PEH is undoubtedly past his sell by date and Ange obviously trusts him more than we do otherwise he would not use him when there are other options available so what do we know.

Ridiculous to place all the blame on him when the responsibility lies with the team as a whole, his problem is being the easiest target to lump on atm.

Hog and Bent poor performances.
Not poor players. Let's give the Toffees credit.
Let's look back to the Brentford game as well and realise pretty football is all well and good but we must show character as well.
Hog has done more good than bad for us this season and it will be tough to improve on him in the summer.
Hahaha it’s easy to improve on this basic, rigid oaf without even going outside of our squad / youth set up

People are totally missing the point here with the talk of "aaaah well, he was not on when Everton scored equalizer". That is not the point.
Also people missing the point when they point out that "aaah, look, he gave gazillion forward passes. his number of forward passes is high!". Not the point either.

We were IN THE LEAD but problem for me is that we were never really IN THE CONTROL of the game. We started brightly, but Everton was pushing us most of the time. Their goals felt almost inevitable.

My issue with PEH has never been about his forward passing. It is his style of play and (lack of some) ability. He is not commanding. With him we never have the control of the tempo of the game. He is unable to up the tempo or slow down the tempo.

He is what I would call a pin-ball midfielder. Ball bounces off him in blink of a second, because he cannot hold on to the ball, turn with it and dribble with it. In Ange system it is not a crack that can be painted over. We could get away with it, if others around him are performing very well, but against Everton, Bentancur also had a poor performance, and combined it very much showed. We need players that can hold it up on their own, not ones that have to rely on others having flawless performances not to be noticed.

But now Bissouma is coming back, Sarr can start and as things stand we could hopefully soon see midfield trio of Bissouma-Sarr-Madders, cause Bentancur has to take a breather after poor performances by his own standards. And going forward, there is no other way than to move PEH and GLC on, bring in top level midfielder + possibly having Bergvall and Devine also around to help out.

No point of keep pushing square peg into round hole going forward.

People are totally missing the point here with the talk of "aaaah well, he was not on when Everton scored equalizer". That is not the point.
Also people missing the point when they point out that "aaah, look, he gave gazillion forward passes. his number of forward passes is high!". Not the point either.

We were IN THE LEAD but problem for me is that we were never really IN THE CONTROL of the game. We started brightly, but Everton was pushing us most of the time. Their goals felt almost inevitable.

My issue with PEH has never been about his forward passing. It is his style of play and (lack of some) ability. He is not commanding. With him we never have the control of the tempo of the game. He is unable to up the tempo or slow down the tempo.

He is what I would call a pin-ball midfielder. Ball bounces off him in blink of a second, because he cannot hold on to the ball, turn with it and dribble with it. In Ange system it is not a crack that can be painted over. We could get away with it, if others around him are performing very well, but against Everton, Bentancur also had a poor performance, and combined it very much showed. We need players that can hold it up on their own, not ones that have to rely on others having flawless performances not to be noticed.

But now Bissouma is coming back, Sarr can start and as things stand we could hopefully soon see midfield trio of Bissouma-Sarr-Madders, cause Bentancur has to take a breather after poor performances by his own standards. And going forward, there is no other way than to move PEH and GLC on, bring in top level midfielder + possibly having Bergvall and Devine also around to help out.

We need to be comfortable to release this oaf for free in a few months. No-one will pay a fee
Get rid of his wages and get rid of his toxicity on the pitch. Debilitating one paced munster

It's obvious he's not going to play many more matches, Bissouma and Gio will make sure of that.

It's obvious he's not going to play many more matches, Bissouma and Gio will make sure of that.

Gio with what exactly?

Did he steal a scalpel from the clinic and is now out to take PEH out with him?

Cause sure as fuck he has nothing to offer himself. Just saw news of him being ruled out from next game as well...

I think only thing we can hope for is with Bissouma and Sarr being back in good form and then we can somehow operate with Bissouma, Sarr, Bentancur and Madders midfield. PEH is not fit for this way of playing, Skippy has no real position and influence, GLC is disabled physically and... well thats it with our midfield as we speak.

Gio with what exactly?

Cause sure as fuck he has nothing to offer himself. Just saw news of him being ruled out from next game as well...

I think only thing we can hope for is with Bissouma and Sarr being back in good form and then we can somehow operate with Bissouma, Sarr, Bentancur and Madders midfield. PEH is not fit for this way of playing, Skippy has no real position and influence, GLC is disabled physically and... well thats it with our midfield as we speak.

What?

Gio with what exactly?

I think we need to accept that Bentacur and Biss may not hit top form this season, Bentacur almost certainly won’t. Hopefully he’s fully recovered by the start of next season, not against him being used as a squad player this season as he seems a long way from peak fitness

You said Gio will make sure PEH doesnt play.

I asked how. He is crippled and almost always unavailable. That includes previous game and will include next game. Statistically speaking 80% of further games as well.

So if he plays 20% of the time or whatever he's still keeping Hojbjerg out the team thus proving my point...

We need to be comfortable to release this oaf for free in a few months. No-one will pay a fee
Get rid of his wages and get rid of his toxicity on the pitch. Debilitating one paced munster
I didn’t keep a close eye on the winter window. But I thought quite a few decent teams were Interested in buying hojberg. Juve, Napoli & Fulham I think I read. So should be able to get 15m for him at least?

I think PEH is ok as a squad player for certain games, for this season anyway. But we need to start blooding our young stars, otherwise they will stagnate or will want to move on.

I didn’t keep a close eye on the winter window. But I thought quite a few decent teams were Interested in buying hojberg. Juve, Napoli & Fulham I think I read. So should be able to get 15m for him at least?
That's the issue. Loads of top clubs want him-for free. Or on loan.
THFC rightly believe he is worth millions and will endeavour to get those millions but clubs are pleading poverty.

That's the issue. Loads of top clubs want him-for free. Or on loan.
THFC rightly believe he is worth millions and will endeavour to get those millions but clubs are pleading poverty.
I see. So that’s why we thought we may as well keep him as a squad player for now. Not because ange was desperate to keep him Or anything. Loan fees & ‘obligations to buy’ seem to be the norm now. It’s a lot harder to shift players on now for a sale fee.

I see. So that’s why we thought we may as well keep him as a squad player for now. Not because ange was desperate to keep him Or anything. Loan fees & ‘obligations to buy’ seem to be the norm now. It’s a lot harder to shift players on now for a sale fee.

"Obligation to buy" IS essentially a sale.

Nah they are skint and have decent scouting and data

A ten year old can see the trend pattern in our form / style of play in the last 7 games he’s started. You must be fucking simple if you think we will get a fee… unless someone like Warnock or fat Sam gets the fulham or Juve job

He’s a fucking menace

Back
Top Bottom