Dejan Kulusevski

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When a release clause is met then it has to be up font.

That's not true, only if it's written into the contract.

It makes no sense for a club to get the money upfront from a tax perspective, unless they plan to spend all of that money that tax year or they have a debt that has to be paid. All player values are amortised in accounts over the length of their contract.

I think it might be in Spain, but yeh, not the case here.....

It makes no sense for a club to get the money upfront from a tax perspective, unless they plan to spend all of that money that tax year or they have a debt that has to be paid. All player values are amortised in accounts over the length of their contract.

In Spain its law that a release clause has to be written into the contract

The process is that 100% of the release fee is paid to Spanish FA who pass it into the selling club. Spanish FA also deal with the paperwork of validating an international transfer, so there is no bypassing them.

It makes absolute sense for clubs to get money up front so they can invest it and get a return or pay high debt (I doubt these big clubs are paying high interest rates).

The only way it would make sense for clubs to want money paid later is if they are getting a higher sum in the future than the present (for example the offer was 30 mil now or 35 mil in 2 years) or if they expect deflation to occur which would just be a dumb gamble.

At least in Spain, it most certainly is true.

The player has to go to the La Liga offices and slap his wad on the table, otherwise no dice.

The player, Dias, who is much better?

Go Away Reaction GIF by Travis

https://tbrfootball.com/journalist-says-Woolwich-were-really-close-to-signing-dejan-kulusevski/

Journalist says Woolwich were really close to signing Dejan Kulusevski​

Jack Pitt-Brooke has told The Athletic’s The View From The Lane Podcast that Woolwich were really close to signing Dejan Kulusevski, and their reluctance to agree anything other than a straight loan allowed Tottenham to come in and land the Swede.

Tottenham, of course, pipped the Gunners to securing Champions League football next year. Spurs won on the final day of the campaign to wrap up fourth spot in the top-flight.

Jack Pitt-Brooke has told The Athletic’s The View From The Lane Podcast that Woolwich were really close to signing Dejan Kulusevski, and their reluctance to agree anything other than a straight loan allowed Tottenham to come in and land the Swede.
Tottenham, of course, pipped the Gunners to securing Champions League football next year. Spurs won on the final day of the campaign to wrap up fourth spot in the top-flight.

There were several key moments in the season. Certainly, the appointment of Antonio Conte was pivotal. But the final day of the January transfer window was also crucial.

Woolwich did nothing in the winter window. Meanwhile, Tottenham signed Rodrigo Bentancur and Kulusevski just before the month ended.

Bentancur has proved to be a smart signing. But Kulusevski has been a real difference-maker for Tottenham. The 22-year-old scored five goals and provided eight assists despite only playing the second-half of the campaign.

Unsurprisingly, Kulusevski is set to sign permanently. And if his form is a sign of what is to come, Tottenham have produced a masterstroke in bringing him in.

For Woolwich, the deal will be a particular sickener. Not only has the winger helped Spurs to fourth. But he is also a player the Gunners wanted.

Woolwich fans were well aware of the links in January. But Pitt-Brooke has now opened up on how close he came to moving to the Emirates, as well as the reason why the Gunners did not get a deal across the line.

“Woolwich were really close to getting Kulusevski on loan. They’d been speaking to Juventus but they couldn’t agree a deal because Juventus wanted more guarantees in terms of an option or obligation, which Woolwich didn’t want to do,” he told The View From The Lane Podcast.

“Woolwich just wanted the loan, so that move stalled. And then Paratici – who’s obviously been a huge fan of Kulusevski his whole career – he came in, he managed to do a more amenable deal to Juventus. And Kulusevski was delighted to go to Tottenham.

“He wanted to come here and work with Conte. But if Paratici hadn’t come in, maybe Woolwich would have come in and done a deal.”

Woolwich really close to signing Kulusevski​

Woolwich have done some smart business in the last 12 months. They are moving in the right direction. And they will be one team to watch this summer.

But not signing Kulusevski is clearly proving to be a mistake. Woolwich do have plenty of options in the areas Kulusevski thrives. But given that they struggled for goals from attack this season, it is hard to imagine the youngster not making a real impact.

Certainly, the Gunners’ need to produce something special this summer has increased given Kulusevski’s form since he ended up at Tottenham.

BUT HES SO SLOWWWW

The fools that doubted this man should forever hang their heads in shame.

Get off FIFA ffs. Acknowledge supreme technical talent when you see it - it's not difficult!
If Kulusevski had all his current technical ability but Son's body, would he not be a better player? Of course technique trumps simple physicality, but his lack of acceleration and agility does cause problems time to time.

Damn what a brace today! His first goal was crafty improvisation, and his second, absolute class. The best part is with him we know we have a legitimate future heir in the post Kane-Son era a few seasons away. It gives me shivers thinking about what could be if we had a top RWB to run alongside him.
that cut inside curler was a long time coming, that was a trademark of his from Juve/Parma, at least going by the highlights.

If Kulusevski had all his current technical ability but Son's body, would he not be a better player? Of course technique trumps simple physicality, but his lack of acceleration and agility does cause problems time to time.
If my uncle had tits he'd be my aunt.

The point is that you don't have to caveat his quality with 'but what if he was faster?' He's just a great talent end of.

I've heard him compared to Gazza, Modric AND Dembele at various times these past 24 hours... I'm not entirely convinced....

I'd like to throw Waddle into the mix...
Also not the quickest... (although Waddle was actually quicker in real life than he appeared on TV) as he - like Deki had very deceptive body language.
They both look exhausted from the first minute (but clearly isn't) and both possess a WAND of a left foot!!

Love the guy.... and he's at least 4 years off his PRIME!!

Last edited:
IDK i want to see more of Kulu before I call him a world class talent and a huge success. Some on here are acting like hes Messi. he cant seem to beat his man, and sometimes goes missing in games, but then crops up with a goal against weaker sides.

I do think we need that pace for balance.

If my uncle had tits he'd be my aunt.

The point is that you don't have to caveat his quality with 'but what if he was faster?' He's just a great talent end of.
well, if you want to be objective in analysing a player you do. Every player has strengths and weakness and his is lack of pace/agility/onefootedness.

It's great that he has the brains to be so effective regardless, but there have been plenty of instances he's struggled because of it. How is this at all controversial?

you can compare him to someone like Mane if you want, who's not exactly a pace merchant but his agility and acceleration helps in situations Kulu struggles with.

IDK i want to see more of Kulu before I call him a world class talent and a huge success. Some on here are acting like hes Messi. he cant seem to beat his man, and sometimes goes missing in games, but then crops up with a goal against weaker sides.

I do think we need that pace for balance.
Can't seem to beat his man, after literally beating his man and sticking it top bins.

Back
Top Bottom