Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How many English players, let alone players of any nationality has scored 20+ goals in 3 consecutive seasons in the Premier League era?
He's a very good player. Watch his goals last year compared to this year. He had an argument of being the best forward in the league last year.

His build-up play has fallen off this year. He does not pass as well and often only thinks about a shot. Worked great last year, but this year has goals have mostly come from team play or penalties and not individual play.

Sure I'll get hated for this, but whatever. I want him to be the best forward in the league, so it can help the team win. He has some things he needs to improve on this year, though.

He's a very good player. Watch his goals last year compared to this year. He had an argument of being the best forward in the league last year.

His build-up play has fallen off this year. He does not pass as well and often only thinks about a shot. Worked great last year, but this year has goals have mostly come from team play or penalties and not individual play.

Sure I'll get hated for this, but whatever. I want him to be the best forward in the league, so it can help the team win. He has some things he needs to improve on this year, though.
He's 23 years old. He will improve.
And he's already the best forward in the league imo. There isn't a single forward in the PL that I would start ahead of Kane.

Sorry forgot that criticizing Kane is not allowed on this board.

No one is saying Kane is above criticism, he's a young player and a very good one at that who is still learning. He's certainly not a shirker and if other teams are that bothered to try and take him out, thus allowing other players to do magical things I'm fine with that. Being top scorer is great but winning 3pts is better.

I suspect a lot of Kane's drop in involvement lately is down to how the team is playing. So many injuries mean we've frequently not been as fluent as last season. Couple that with teams increasingly playing 5+ at the back against us and he hasn't had the space to do anything. It's not like he's been fluffing chance after chance.

Additionally the contribution from midfield has been significant; every Dele goal is one fewer that Kane could have scored, same goes for Son.

Also I think that our players are denying him space. He likes to drift out wide and cut in, but with Son and Walker occupying those areas when we attack, he's forced to stay in a more central position, and therefore is looking a bit static.

Have to say, we have had about 5 Seasons-worth of penalties given to us this year...
What's that all about?? Does this now officially acknowledge our standing as One of the Big Boys?

It is odd for sure, though to be fair 95% of them have been actual penalties. So I'm going to say that now we've got better players, they're fouled more often equaling more penalties

It is odd for sure, though to be fair 95% of them have been actual penalties. So I'm going to say that now we've got better players, they're fouled more often equaling more penalties
Yep. Think it's a reflection of how well we are playing and how much pressure we are putting teams under.

When you spend 80% of a game in the opponents 18 yard box something's bound to give.

No one is saying Kane is above criticism

Not outright but many talk like he is beyond reproach.

Take this summer for instance, seemingly many would not entertain the idea of actually signing someone to challenge him as opposed to merely back-up.

Curious how many still cling to that stance given Jansen's struggles and HKs spell injured.

I like his honesty. He says he loves the club and will stay only if they match his ambition. No one seems to be emphasising the second part of that.
That will happen on the rare occasion we lose. The red tops, will probably get on that the next time we draw as we rear lose games these day. So, we drop two points = we our clearly not ambitious, he must therefore leave to join Manure as they are ambitious even though they have drawn the most games in the league. Think that about covers it.

I suspect a lot of Kane's drop in involvement lately is down to how the team is playing. So many injuries mean we've frequently not been as fluent as last season. Couple that with teams increasingly playing 5+ at the back against us and he hasn't had the space to do anything. It's not like he's been fluffing chance after chance.

Additionally the contribution from midfield has been significant; every Dele goal is one fewer that Kane could have scored, same goes for Son.

I think he's probably just a bit tired with a new born baby

The only striker who was on a similar level last year seemed to be Vardy - but in retrospect it's obvious that he was a pace merchant in an un-replicable patch of form where the Leicester team played perfectly to his strengths (and opposition seemed happy to let them do it).

Definitely agree that Harry needs to improve on his hold up play/passing.
I was tearing my hair out when he had the chance to set up Alli nicely on Saturday, only to overhit the simple pass and allow the counter attack to break down.

If we want to beat Liverpool this weekend, then we'll need to be lethal on the counter.

Also I think that our players are denying him space. He likes to drift out wide and cut in, but with Son and Walker occupying those areas when we attack, he's forced to stay in a more central position, and therefore is looking a bit static.
We've adapted our style to avoid certain key players getting, to put it bluntly, fucked. Last year, Kane was holding the line, scoring the goals, you name it... the balance this year is imo much better. We've yet to field a "full strength" XI. To be where we are speaks volumes about how good this team is.

Back
Top Bottom