SPURS v MOSCOW ...battle for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I enjoyed that.A good few positives.
I thought Harry (of the Winks variety) is fast looking the real deal.Toby..A joy to see him on the pitch.
Son looking peed off when he got substituted,and Harry hitting the net and Erikson hitting form again

I just feel sorry for those who didn't/couldn't go- in a genuine way. Missing out on a really good Spurs performance at Wembley. Yes, it was a dead rubber match, but getting a chance to see a strong starting XI in a European match at Wembley is something I won't forget. Few beers with my lad, bit of banter in the hotel, a lovely mild evening to watch football & a thumping win- the score genuinely didn't reflect how completely we dominated them.
Toby back, Eriksen looking superb, Dele back on his A game, Kane looking deadly, Winks putting in the shift of a seasoned top flight European player.

A very enjoyable evening for a dead rubber

Last edited:
All this sanctimonious bollocks is doing my head in. Fairly confident I've been to more games than most this season home and away yet apparently I'm now not a real fan.

I've got a hell of alot of my plate to get done before the end of the year and didn't see why I should have to put myself out for a fairly meaningless game when the team couldn't be arsed for the other 5. If it makes you feel important though, carry on
If you want to take it personally that's up to you, i'm sure your a top fan. But you can fuck off with the sanctimonious shit and making myself feel important bollocks. It was more a dig at tourists that bought tickets and couldn't be arsed. You can carry on telling us how much of a good fan and how busy you are though.

Perhaps the manager was looking at the league situation and felt like our best chance of Champions League next year was to win the Europa League? I'd really hope it wasn't on his mind, but if we go on to win the Europa League it will have been the best thing to happen to us this season.

Out of curiosity, which English sides will be with us in the Europa league last 32 as things stand?

I'm kinda with you on this one... not saying we engineered our 3rd position, because many other factors (some out of our control, like other results in the group) would mean we can't pick and choose where we finish (except bottom, and we lose all our games!)
But I think it occurred to the Club, pretty soon after we entered the CL Group stage, that we were never gonna win the CL this season, maybe we'd have got through to the knock-out stage, but then what? An extra two games perhaps... four if we got to the Qtr Final again, but realistically, to prolong our European adventure, and have a chance of winning something, maybe (dare I say it) The Europa League is our level at the moment! (sorry delusions of grandeur fans!)

We're not bigger than the Europa League, we're in with a genuine chance of winning the thing (or at least get to the Semis... wouldn't that be nice?)
...but we are certainly (as 'mighty' Monaco and Leverkusen proved) out of our depth in the CL.
We've had our Wembley sell-outs and achieved our highest 'home' attendance, we've all heard the 'CL Tune' plenty of times now...
I think it's time to cut our cloth accordingly, and go for the Europa League. It needn't necessarily be at the expense of the League either... after all, what the fuck were people expecting had we stayed in the CL knockouts? That the PL would suddenly take a back seat?
We are allowed to take more than one competition seriously each season... other clubs do it, or else no one would ever have done the Double/Treble!!

Besides,surely the added experience will enhance our longer term chances of getting back into the CL!

Europa League semi final 2nd leg date 11th May leading by 2 goals
Final home game at WHL current date 13th may (so the 14th) 4 points needed to secure champions league spot secured

Do we play a full strength side in the cup or rest players to try and win final game at WHL....

Final home game at WHL current date 13th may (so the 14th) 4 points needed to secure champions league spot secured

Do we play a full strength side in the cup or rest players to try and win final game at WHL....
I really really hope we have to actually face that dilemma

Far too many trying to justify having a ticket and not going. You choose not to go for your own reasons, don't be bitter about missing out on a performance or the team selection. I'm glad I went with the kids if anything it reinforced their desire to go again, they got to experience seeing Kane, Alli, Eriksen, Verts, Rose, Toby all playing for the shirt. Also having Europa League means more opportunities for us to go again as the tickets at Wembley are much cheaper and easier to come by than getting WHL presently.

I'd also like to say the CSKA fans weren't any trouble at all.

All this sanctimonious bollocks is doing my head in. Fairly confident I've been to more games than most this season home and away yet apparently I'm now not a real fan.

I've got a hell of alot on my plate to get done before the end of the year and didn't see why I should have to put myself out for a fairly meaningless game when the team couldn't be arsed for the other 5. If it makes you feel important though, carry on
so at least we know you're not a foul arsed bastard.....
every cloud and all that.............

Aa strong as possible in both....whatever team got us that far in the cup should play the 2nd leg. If that's the first team then so be it.

Apparently these are the teams we could face in the round of 32. I presume some of these will be eliminated tonight though. Bilbao for me, its a great town, great food and drink, friendly fans and their new stadium looks lovely. There's a ferry from Portsmouth too
:king:

Fenerbahçe
Feyenoord
Apoel Nic
Olympiakos
BSC Young Boys
Anderlecht
Saint-Étienne
Mainz 05
AZ Alkmaar
Dundalk
Maccabi Tel-Aviv
Astra Giurgiu
Austria Vienna
KRC Genk
Ath Bilbao
Standard Liege
Celta Vigo
Sporting Braga
KAA Gent
FK Krasnodar
FK Qarabag
PAOK Salonika
Hapoel Be’er Sheva
Osmanlispor
Villarreal
Steaua Buc
FC Zürich

Or that Europe League semi was against Utd, with our final home game is also against Utd?

All ifs and buts, let's just see where we are come Feburary, March, April and May.

Apparently these are the teams we could face in the round of 32. I presume some of these will be eliminated tonight though. Bilbao for me, its a great town, great food and drink, friendly fans and their new stadium looks lovely. There's a ferry from Portsmouth too
:king:

Fenerbahçe
Feyenoord
Apoel Nic
Olympiakos
BSC Young Boys
Anderlecht
Saint-Étienne
Mainz 05
AZ Alkmaar
Dundalk
Maccabi Tel-Aviv
Astra Giurgiu
Austria Vienna
KRC Genk
Ath Bilbao
Standard Liege
Celta Vigo
Sporting Braga
KAA Gent
FK Krasnodar
FK Qarabag
PAOK Salonika
Hapoel Be’er Sheva
Osmanlispor
Villarreal
Steaua Buc
FC Zürich
Dundalk jumps out at me for some reason. Bilbao would be great, as would Villarreal. None of this Qarabag shite though please.

Back
Top Bottom