You support spurs be honest,what does it mean to you

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spurs... fucking centre of everything, days, weeks, moths resolve around the Lillywhites. I can love it (Spurs) unconditionally and it won't judge me, thus making our relationship acceptable, even if horribly one sided. But hey Spurs, I'm hopelessly devoted to you to quote Sandra Dee

Is that just moths, or do butterflies have the same effect ?

I have always wondered what it is about the club we love. In fact, what is it about any club anyone loves. It's not the stadium, because if it was knocked down we would still support the same team. It's not the team, because that evolves and changes at an alarming rate. In most cases it's not where it is situated, because how many of us live in Tottenham, or have lived in Tottenham. In the cold light of day, it's purely the name

I have always wondered what it is about the club we love. In fact, what is it about any club anyone loves. It's not the stadium, because if it was knocked down we would still support the same team. It's not the team, because that evolves and changes at an alarming rate. In most cases it's not where it is situated, because how many of us live in Tottenham, or have lived in Tottenham. In the cold light of day, it's purely the name
The name, yes, but more so the club identity and history. To me Spurs is the cockerel on the shirt and on top of the stands; it's the cup wins, the glory glory nights, Bill Nic and the famous old teams of the 50s and 60s, glorious highs and miserable lows, club legends like King and Perryman, Chas n Dave, the walk up the High Road, away days, and my own personal memories of the most memorable matches I've witnessed.

To me supporting Spurs shows a real strength of character, especially at times like this when fans of other teams keep taking the piss! I'm always proud to say I support Spurs, and have done for over 30 years now. For me, its also something I share with my son - the highs and the lows, watching the games on tv, huddled round the laptop searching for an illegal stream or, when I'm not skint, at WHL.

I remember my dad taking me to my first trip to The Lane, and hearing "Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur" as the players came down the tunnel - real hairs standing up on the back of my neck moment. That was mid 1980's and I've never forgotten it.

I remember going to Gazza's last game and that was like a bereavement. Then when Bale left, that ruined my entire Summer. The feeling after we've lost a cup final or been knocked out of a competition is like nothing else - the depression is still there when I wake up next morning. Its mad that a football club can make me feel like that, and its not done much for my Christmas this year either.

Most of all, to me supporting Spurs means never-ending optimism every August ..... then come December, beginning to think "oh well, next season will be our year" and the cycle starting all over again!

Its very hard to put into words, all I know is I love Tottenham Hotspur as much as I love my family members. It's such a huge part of my identity. Part of me wishes I didn't feel the passion as much as I do, but it really can't be helped. I was hooked from the minute I walked into WHL nearly 45 years ago, I still remember it as if it was yesterday. Nearly all the best and worst days in my life are Spurs connected. You can't explain how you feel to someone who doesn't 'get it' but then you don't have to explain it to those who do. After we beat Chelsea 5-1 in the League Cup semi in 2002, I went into work with the biggest grin on my face.... I was asked if that was better than sex - I replied better than sex and chocolate put together!

Pretty much the same as Mrs.P above, was April 1970 when I got to go to WHL for the first time and I too can still conjure up the image 43 years on. It was a mixture of smells...roll ups, westles hot dogs and horse shit!.
It was a night game too which just added to the drama, excitement and sheer thrill of seeing Tottenham Hotspur live.
At school in Kent you were either Spurs or Woolwich, no chelscum or man utd or liverpool in those days and me and my mates we firmly Spurs. Since then I, like many others, have experienced the highs and lows of supporting Tottenham. The best way I can describe it is when my son was born i was naturally delighted but that feeling of happiness comes nowhere near the feeling I had when we beat the chav vermin at Wembley in 2008. I asbsolutely despise chelsea, so when we did them that day it was a feeling like no other. I have seen us win 4 league cups, 2 eufa cups and 3 fa cups...9 trophies in 43 years..one every 5 years near enough....and the last was in 2008..omen??
I just love Tottenham Hotspur they mean the world to me.

Spurs bring balance to my life. They bring the heart attacks, ulcers, hair loss, high blood pressure, panic attacks and cirrhosis of the liver, to my otherwise healthy lifestyle.

Piss taking aside, why do I love this club? For me it was installed from a young age by a Father that saw the Double team of the 60's and the European Trail blazers, a club that had the highest average attendence of the 1st division in the 1960s'.......my first game was the charity shield of 1981, up on the coaches from Somerset, even now we have shed loads of supporters in the south west, people scaling the wallls to get in, all the kids down the front, being offer whisky by a Spurs fan, politely declining, but looking round to see him having a glug and a laugh with a fellow Yid, someone he would not even notice on a normal day in work or just out and about, but bonded by the bond that we all know and acknowldge when we go to WHL or go away......( fuck this is good even for me!!) we are Spurs, we are not United or City our Roots are true and our supporters are faithful. Going to WHL in the 90's was a mare, looking back my Dad was hurting on what we had, I never knew it, my boy knows we can play in the Champs league, the recent beatings by the Scousers and Citeh have showed him what being Spurs is.....But to my delight he has bounced back after the Utd victory, like we all do, and cant wait for the Palace game, which is our next visit.
So why? Having the piss taken by my Cov City mates after getting beat 4-1 at highfield, getting beat 7-0 at Newcastle, the points deduction, Everton 4-1 in the cup semi final, losing 5-3 to man fucking city after being 3-0 up, going to the 93 semi final and losing to that lot, Seeing Ian Wright giving the salute to us on the shelf when they got a lucky late winner, watching a bunch a wannabe fans celebrating in south west london, yes it all sticks in the throat, i was there at Oldham where we HAD to win, when we drew away at Peterborough in the FA cup, when we got dumped by ipswich in the cup, losing to Port Vale in the FA cup.........but fuck it, because for all those losses we had the Forest win in 91 and Gazzas free kick in the semi, We had Alan Neilsen's head, we had Woodys deflected header, Crocuhy at Citeh, watching my team in Milan was the ultimate..........and through it all despite players, coaches, kit changes is the one thing that unites us......ourselves, we are Spurs, we are the Yid Army, you know it, i know it, you see a fellow Spur and you say Hello or give him the Yiddo!! It can be on tube, on the piss, on holiday. We would probably disagree on anything else in life but we have that one bond and come what may tomorrow, if we win I share the news and beers with fellow yids, if we lose, so what they are wankers and we move on, we are spurs......

Back
Top Bottom