XI of best players you've seen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

04-Present
[formation=352, Lloris, Daws, King, Woodgate, Walker, Carrick, Davids, Modric, Bale, Berbatov, VdV][/formation]
It wouldn't be spursy if I didn't craft a team that would win every match 6-5.

Lloris
Walker King Woodgate
Modric Carrick Van Der Vaart Bale
Keane Crouch Berbatov

I think a few I may be looking back with rose tinted lenses.

[formation=442, Lloris, Bentaleb, Bentaleb, Bentaleb, Bentaleb, Bentaleb, Bentaleb, Bentaleb, Bentaleb, Bentaleb, Bentaleb][/formation]

It's funny because it's never been done before

I'll do mine later as I'm moving house at the moment
Bentalab, just another Livermore, without the pace or strength. Pass it sideways or backwards

I went to my first game in 1969 (Greavsie's last and hubby's first season), so its both a blessing and a curse to have so many players to choose from. But here goes:
Jennings - if you think Lloris is good, then sorry Big Pat would wipe the floor with him
Full backs - Perryman and Knowles (probably got my sides muddled as I don't know my left from my right)
Centre Halves - King and Woodgate (although I loved Gary Mabbutt, think this pairing were as close to perfect as is possible in two human beings).
Central Midfield - Hoddle and Gazza
Wide players - Ginola and Bale (see remark next to fullbacks, but I think Bale could play either side)
Strikers - Chivers and Greaves
Subs - this would be the longest sub bench in history, there's no sense of balance as I have chosen personal favourites rather than from a tactical point - Thorsvedt (just because I love him); Archibald; Conn; Mabbutt; BAE; Waddle; Roberts; Ardiles; Villa; VDV; Beal; Gilzean; Hughton. Last but not least, Maradona (made one appearance in a Spurs shirt in Ossie's testimonial).

Jennings
Perryman and Knowles
King and Woodgate
Hoddle and Gazza
Ginola and Bale
Chivers and Greaves

I was tempted to have Chivers in, like you and Nutter Naylor, but my feeling was that the choice was based on the length of time with the club and his ability to score a great goal now and again. If you wanted a guarantee of goals then I would play Klinsmann and Lineker before him, ze Cherman gets the nod for me, because of his ability to play to his partners strength. I went for Mabbs for reliability, as good as Woody was - you never knew if he was going to appear at WHL or Holby City.
I cheated with MacKay (sue me) but I would have Ossie in his place over Daveed, for his relentless contribution and consistency.

Weren't we spoiled with Jennings? I still can't get over seeing him play for the goons, what were the club thinking?

I was tempted to have Chivers in, like you and Nutter Naylor, but my feeling was that the choice was based on the length of time with the club and his ability to score a great goal now and again. If you wanted a guarantee of goals then I would play Klinsmann and Lineker before him, ze Cherman gets the nod for me, because of his ability to play to his partners strength. I went for Mabbs for reliability, as good as Woody was - you never knew if he was going to appear at WHL or Holby City.
I cheated with MacKay (sue me) but I would have Ossie in his place over Daveed, for his relentless contribution and consistency.

Weren't we spoiled with Jennings? I still can't get over seeing him play for the goons, what were the club thinking?
I couldn't imagine pairing Ledders with anyone else but Woodie - when they were fit, never thought that we would lose, although I get your point re his injury woes. A lot of my choices are because they are personal favourites and obviously Mr P and the lovely Daveed are definite personal favs.
Re Pat - its definitely one of the low points of our history that he was allowed to cross the road but its an indication of his stature that supporters never held it against him. A true legend and a thoroughly lovely, humble and gentle man. Best goal keeper - ever!

[formation="442, Lloris, Perryman, Gough, King, Hughton, Waddle, Hoddle, Gazza, Bale, Lineker, Klinsmann"][/formation]
1978 - now
My first game was in '81 and this is exactly my team. With apologies to Clemence, Thorstvedt, Mabbutt, Ginola, Ardiles, Modric, VDV, Berbatov, Archibald, Sheringham and Rory Allen.

Back
Top Bottom