Would you take Mourinho?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you take Mourinho as Poch replacement?

• Yes

Votes: 114 37.3%
  • No

Votes: 124 40.5%
  • Id rather shag my granny

Votes: 76 24.8%

• Total voters
Isn't Allegri on a hiatus from football?
in his own words yes. He wants a full year off so he can sharpen up his English skills if he wishes to move to England.

Doesn't mean a club cannot convince him to break his hiatus earlier but his plan when he left Juve was to take a sabbatical.

I don't think anybody is particularly excited by Mourinho, he has become too sour in recent years although he is still capable of delivering trophies. They just want a manager who is tough, who will react when his team is in horrible form and not just keep doing the same things. A manager who can be ruthless and pragmatic.

The thing with "winning" managers is that they hate to lose, nothing in life is worse than losing football games to them. Wenger, Mancini, Conte, Klopp, Mou, Ferguson, Pep, Simeone, Van Gaal, the reason they have had so many rants and meltdowns over the years is because they fucking hate losing. If you looked at Poch's interviews and body language this season you'd think we were ticking over nicely in 3rd place, it's as if nothing is wrong. Eriksen and Rose are still playing, he's saying he won't make signings and that we we only "need time", it's like bizzarro world. We don't need time, we need wins. If we had one of those other managers in charge they would be foaming at the mouth.

Don't get me wrong, there are winning managers with a more Poch-like mentality and serene demeanour, like Allegri, Emery and Ancelotti, but they are much rarer. They also have trophies under their belt so nobody can question their attitude. Poch doesn't have anything under his belt and if I'm honest, takes losing matches too well. I want a manager who is a bad loser.

Poch still has this attitude of "lads, it's Tottenham" which is reflected in everything he does. "You can't compare us to Liverpool, you don't understand our project, we need time". No. We have been above Liverpool for almost every one of the last 10 seasons and just played a CL final against them. You absolutely can compare us to them and we don't need more time. The problem now is him, the other stuff stopped being true 5 years ago. Compare Liverpool's starting XI last night to the team we put out against Colchester, do not tell me we cannot compete with Liverpool, that is utter hog shit. We just have a manager who is not quite tough enough and not quite brave enough to win decisive matches.

Nailed it.

I watched Liverpool closely last night, and my conclusion is that they don't have a lot behind that formidable first 11. If they had injuries to 4-5 first teamers for any length of time - like we had last season they would really struggle. I don't know if they just have the best medical team in the business, resilient AF players or are just the luckiest bastards going when it comes to injuries.

But look at what was on offer last night; Keita, Milner, Origi, Lallana, Chamberlain.

We have squad players to match that.

The difference between us and them and the reason they have overtaken us is they have a manager who is a winner who won't take poor performances, and they've built an aura of invincibility around themselves.

Poch is a soft touch, he's won nothing in his managerial career and is holding us back. Frankly he's lucky to be our manager and he's pissing away our best ever squad for 5 years now

If he does I bet they make top 4 at our expense.

But lets not take him because he's ex-Chelsea....
I think he is more likely to end up with us than them.

His gritty exterior aside, Mou has never really been proper "antagonistic" with us. Sure he's kicked at us but it has never been to the level of his feud with Woolwich/Wenger. He knows that those fans would rather kill him than support him.

It would be like him taking the reigns at Juve or AC Milan if he were to return to Italy.

If he does I bet they make top 4 at our expense.

But lets not take him because he's ex-Chelsea....

We had Gallas and Adebayor play for us, surely Mourinho is nothing compared to that?

Rolling up at Woolwich with Gallas as our captain for the 3-2 win was one of the greatest troll moments in the history of football. If someone wants to work for Tottenham then their history doesn't matter.

I don't think anybody is particularly excited by Mourinho, he has become too sour in recent years although he is still capable of delivering trophies. They just want a manager who is tough, who will react when his team is in horrible form and not just keep doing the same things. A manager who can be ruthless and pragmatic.

The thing with "winning" managers is that they hate to lose, nothing in life is worse than losing football games to them. Wenger, Mancini, Conte, Klopp, Mou, Ferguson, Pep, Simeone, Van Gaal, the reason they have had so many rants and meltdowns over the years is because they fucking hate losing. If you looked at Poch's interviews and body language this season you'd think we were ticking over nicely in 3rd place, it's as if nothing is wrong. Eriksen and Rose are still playing, he's saying he won't make signings and that we we only "need time", it's like bizzarro world. We don't need time, we need wins. If we had one of those other managers in charge they would be foaming at the mouth.

Don't get me wrong, there are winning managers with a more Poch-like mentality and serene demeanour, like Allegri, Emery and Ancelotti, but they are much rarer. They also have trophies under their belt so nobody can question their attitude. Poch doesn't have anything under his belt and if I'm honest, takes losing matches too well. I want a manager who is a bad loser.

Poch still has this attitude of "lads, it's Tottenham" which is reflected in everything he does. "You can't compare us to Liverpool, you don't understand our project, we need time". No. We have been above Liverpool for almost every one of the last 10 seasons and just played a CL final against them. You absolutely can compare us to them and we don't need more time. The problem now is him, the other stuff stopped being true 5 years ago. Compare Liverpool's starting XI last night to the team we put out against Colchester, do not tell me we cannot compete with Liverpool, that is utter hog shit. We just have a manager who is not quite tough enough and not quite brave enough to win decisive matches.

Really good post, especially the point about Poch and 'crunch' games. I wonder if Mourinho imminently is feasible though. I think Levy would baulk at the cost of sacking Poch and employing Mourinho in one swoop - would cost a bomb and there is definitely risk in it, as an approach.

Really good post, especially the point about Poch and 'crunch' games. I wonder if Mourinho imminently is feasible though. I think Levy would baulk at the cost of sacking Poch and employing Mourinho in one swoop - would cost a bomb and there is definitely risk in it, as an approach.
But the money is not paid out in one fell swoop right I think?

Like, we just keep Poch on the salary list until he finds a new job/his contract runs out.

And Mou would not be given his salary in one bulk payout either. Sure it would be hefty, but it is money that we can spend if need be.

in his own words yes. He wants a full year off so he can sharpen up his English skills if he wishes to move to England.

Doesn't mean a club cannot convince him to break his hiatus earlier but his plan when he left Juve was to take a sabbatical.
in his own words? I can only see a link from the Sun with no quotes and then others referencing the Sun article.

But the money is not paid out in one fell swoop right I think?

Like, we just keep Poch on the salary list until he finds a new job/his contract runs out.

And Mou would not be given his salary in one bulk payout either. Sure it would be hefty, but it is money that we can spend if need be.
Typically that's in Italy, they remain employed by the club, its why you sometimes see clubs taking back managers they have sacked (they are still on the payroll)

In the UK I believe its agreed between the club and player how its structured and may or may not include a clause on the next club. If they don't agree terms it goes to tribunal.

&

Paying off managers is expensive. Manchester United’s half-yearly accounts revealed it had cost £19.6m to pay off Mourinho and his assistants, who had previously received a total of more than £8m from Chelsea.

&

I quite like Mourinho on TV as a pundit, he can be quite witty at times and worth listening to.
But I would rather he stayed with Sky than came to Spurs.

Wow, Chelsea have paid out an awful lot of money to the managers they've sacked.

I really do completely understand the arguments for getting Mourinho in, but I just can't see it working in reality. I don't think he'd work well with Levy and I don't think Levy would pay anything like the £24m a year JM was on at Man Utd.

I do think we are reaching the end of the line with Poch, how soon the parting happens I don't know, but it's inevitable. That will then be another opportunity for the board to show their intentions. They'll either need to splash the cash to get a proven winner that can take our club to the next level, or they go cheap and leave us in mediocrity.
What I don't want to see happen is another manager merry-go-round that costs lots of money and unsettles the squad. I want us to choose the right manager first time.

“Jose bitterly disappointing to exit the league cup today, your thoughts?”

“I’m a 4 time league cup champion, including beating Tottenham in 2015, this is football heritage”

You sellouts deserve everything that you’re gonna get.

“Jose bitterly disappointing to exit the league cup today, your thoughts?”

“I’m a 4 time league cup champion, including beating Tottenham in 2015, this is football heritage”

You sellouts deserve everything that you’re gonna get.

Sellouts in what sense?

That we have finally lost patience with Poch after 5 trophy less seasons? or we want an ex Chelsea manager to come in and win us some trophies?

Sellouts in what sense?

That we have finally lost patience with Poch after 5 trophy less seasons? or we want an ex Chelsea manager to come in and win us some trophies?

Ex Chelsea.

Shit ugly football

Thinks he’s bigger than the club

Might as well cancel the entire youth program

And it’s no guarantee he’d win us a trophies with this declining, wantaway bunch.

Plus he needs to outspend everybody to win something.

Jose: “I need £500mil to fix this team”

Levy: “better hold a charity bake sale!”

His legacy at United was that things got soooooo bad, they thought hiring Ole was a good idea.

We had Gallas and Adebayor play for us, surely Mourinho is nothing compared to that?

Rolling up at Woolwich with Gallas as our captain for the 3-2 win was one of the greatest troll moments in the history of football. If someone wants to work for Tottenham then their history doesn't matter.

Gallas gave his all in that game. I remember after the final whistle he basically just laid down on the pitch exhausted.

On the plus side Mourinho knows how to win.

On the negative side, the way to win is often by buying the best players.

Mourinho guided an awful United squad to a 2nd place spot in the EPL and a Europa League title. He was quite open that they players weren't good enough to achieve more.

The argument that he doesn't promote youth is debatable. Didn't he give Rashford and Mctominay their breaks at United?

I can't see him working well with Levy, and becoming frustrated when he is unable to upgrade players. In saying that, I would have no doubt that if he took over for 2 or 3 seasons; we would win a domestic and possibly a European trophy.

Rashford no, McTominay yes.

Back
Top Bottom