Would you swap top 4 for a trophy?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do we need to win a trophy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My answer is still 'yes', if it's only for the forthcoming season. But no matter how much we don't like it, CL is the place to be, if we want to be seen as a so-called Big Club.
Maybe as you say for one season only.

After that it's a big detriment to recruiting players that could enable us to win a trophy.
How many times have we seen a player say "I want to go to a club in the CL" and that's aside from the financial aspect.

I would say no in as much as, hypothetically, finishing top 4 again this season would continue the ability to spend more/attract better players which I think would make keeping Conte easier (assuming it was clear we'd improved)

One also needs to cast a quick glance over at the scum and their multiple FA Cup wins in recent years to see that they didn't really do anything to arrest their overall decline.

However, while Woolwich getting that silverware did fuck all for them, it would be a far more significant monkey off our back and I do wonder if there's that mental block that needs to be banished. Man City's current run of success began with an FA Cup win under Mancini, did it not?

Edit: one last thought though because the top 4/cup question seems to be eternal - I honestly don't think it should really be relevant this season as I think Conte will have us safely in the top 4. The real question should simply be about chasing that cup on top.

You didn't say which trophy, so I would swap top 4 for the champions league trophy or PL trophy and as we are the winners we would qualify for the CL any way.

If it's the League Cup, no. If it's the FA Cup, I need more context, like for example who am I losing 4th to? United or the scum? It depends, because I love the FA Cup, but I don't want the scum to get UCL football, ever. If it's the Champions League or the Europa League, absolutely.

Win the fucking quadruple and shut up every manc, scouscer, scum and chav. Ram it down their fucking throats.
to shut up the spanner’s we need to win the fucking World Cup and that’s a tall order.

It's a bit depressing but I think top 4 by just a small margin. It means you've had a great season - more enjoyable matches- and are playing in the CL next season. More revenue, better players, and more chance of winning cups anyway.
Domestic cups are important as a historical marker and bragging rights. But I'd rather get established as a CL team, and the cups will follow naturally.

The football world has changed, but the fans haven't.

Elite footballers see nights in the Champions League as the pinnacle of football.
They don't see winning the Worthington Paint Trophy to gain a spot in the Ropey league to play Thursdays against Carrybag FC as an achievement or a moment of glory.

Back
Top Bottom