Would you swap top 4 for a trophy?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do we need to win a trophy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Of course it would be great to win trophies. It would be a great increase for the current status of the team when it's an important trophy.

But let's not take as a motivation that other teams will stop mocking us with the trophy-thing. The banter will just change to "only 1 trophy in 14 years". Would have to be one of the really big ones like the Premier League title or the Champions League to lessen the banter. And honestly, can't see us winning that. Would be already fantastic to win a trophy like the FA Cup.

Well, our rivals mock us all the time for not winning trophies. Don't blame my thread.
It is a fact, we haven't won a trophy for 14 seasons.
They do, and I’m desperate to win trophies. But even asking the question is embarrassing.

What a ridiculous question.

Of course they're important.
They're not the be all and end all though, otherwise we'd have all given up years ago.

No because Liverpool, ManU, Chelsea, Woolwich, Mancity have won trophies in the last 5 seasons.

Spurs hasn't won a trophy for 14 seasons.

I'm well aware.

Shouldn't make us delusional about how important trophies are. Our lack of them in recent years is a colossal failure.

As has been said, rivals will (correctly) have a giggle at a thread like this. We're meant to be one of the top clubs in the country, of course winning trophies matters! Goes without saying..

Other fans are going to see this thread and mock us.
So what? Who cares what they think? Everton haven't won anything since 1995. Aston Villa haven't won anything since 1996. Leeds haven't won anything since 1992. Newcastle haven't won anything since 1969. West Ham haven't won anything since 1980. Before their billionaire takeover, Man City hadn't won anything since 1976.

Our longest gap without a trophy is the 30 years between 1921 and 1951. We've won trophies before and we'll win them again. It's what we do.

Yes and no.

1981, 82, 84 etc were all fantastic experiences, where winning a trophy really did mean something. Even the League Cups in 71 and 73 (which I just about remember) were special even though the victories in the finals were against 'lower-rated' teams - Villa were in the 3rd tier of football at the time. Football was much more black and white back then - you either won something or you didn't, and it was easier to do so - football was more of a level playing field (although you still had the haves and have-nots). Nowadays, 4th position is classed as 'winning' something. I'm not particular proud of finishing 4th but the field is, of course, nowhere near as level as it once was.

However, more recently, and it's maybe because we have had 14 year+ drought of silverware, individual occasions and games have had just a big an impact on me - Crouch at Man City in 2011, Man City full stop in 2019, Ajax 2019, the 2017 season as an entirety (easily the best season of football I've seen from us since I started supporting the club) - I even look at the 2-2 at Chelsea, even though that cemented the title for Leicester, and think that's was a turning point for the club. I rewatch/review part or all of these (and other) occasions, and I'm immensely proud and happy (there are of course occasions where we have been an embarrassment - a tiny sample being Woolwich away 2-5 twice, Chelsea away almost exclusively (although how much pleasure do I get from watching Dele's goals in the League Cup at the Emirates and in the 3-1 at Stamford Bridge).

Do I want us to win things? Of course I do. But tempered within the hope, desire and expectation (we all have expectations, no matter what the reality is), I know, at the moment, we can't compete over the course of a season with Manchester City and Liverpool. Chelsea I think we can get close to but our league goal at the moment, as I see it, is keeping ahead of Manchester United (who will at some point in the next few seasons come good again as the simply have the resources to do so) and the Gooners.

I don't expect us to win the league in the near future. Cups yes, and we now maybe have a squad capable of us being serious contenders, and a coach who demands the best from everyone and won't keep the dead wood for the sake of it (I know Mourinho wanted to win every cup but he didn't have the squad that Conte has, and was past it too, of course). Bottom line is as long as we remain properly competitive, and do it with a degree of style (as important as any of the above), I'll accept that, but of course I want us to win things.

Last edited:
So what? Who cares what they think? Everton haven't won anything since 1995. Aston Villa haven't won anything since 1996. Leeds haven't won anything since 1992. Newcastle haven't won anything since 1969. West Ham haven't won anything since 1980. Before their billionaire takeover, Man City hadn't won anything since 1976.

Our longest gap without a trophy is the 30 years between 1921 and 1951. We've won trophies before and we'll win them again. It's what we do.

I like the cut of your jib.

Fuck em all.

Trophies will come. 100%.

Hmmm... why has the question been changed? That might change peoples views. It’s a stupid thread anyway, just delete it it rather than changing the narrative.

No because Liverpool, ManU, Chelsea, Woolwich, Mancity have won trophies in the last 5 seasons.

Spurs hasn't won a trophy for 14 seasons.

The true hardcore fans of football in my opinion support the lower league teams and even non league sides. If you see the joy of winning the Johnsons Paint trophy or the FA vase , ( names might have changed ) I think that tells you winning a trophy is what really matters.

Sadly not getting top 4 is such a huge financial penalty it blurs the lines, trophies for me though

Why has the question been changed ?

I assume that some people will now want to change their vote.
My answer is still 'yes', if it's only for the forthcoming season. But no matter how much we don't like it, CL is the place to be, if we want to be seen as a so-called Big Club.

Only if it's the Champions League itself.
With Conte at the helm, regular champions league football will bring other trophies..

Could also look at it more ambitiously and say the ultimate trophy is the Premier League itself.

Back
Top Bottom