Would you swap top 4 for a trophy?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do we need to win a trophy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm sure Kane and Son would definitely turn down moves from City and Madrid if they finished 25 points off top in 6th place but won a league cup.
Not relevant to my thread makes the post meaningless in the scope of the discussion.

Please don't branch out.

Not relevant to my thread makes the post meaningless in the scope of the discussion.

Please don't branch out.
The point is, what is bigger for the club. And those players and players in their "league" wouldn't get excited about a near mid table finish and crappy domestic cup.

If the FA Cup got CL football, it would suddenly become a lot more interesting.

Not at all. We finished 7th in 20/21, below wetspam & Leicester and no trophy, that what I call a failure.

How can you call a season of a trophy and top 6 finish as a failure? For a club with no trophy for 14 seasons and yoyoing around top 6 for the last 20 seasons, is beyond belief. You have to get real.
don't mind how you finished, you were 14th when poch was sacked.

I will explain why it would be a failure: kane and conte won't stay in a team whose ambition is to win carabao cup. and without them it will be a failure also for the years to come

don't mind how you finished, you were 14th when poch was sacked.

I will explain why it would be a failure: kane and conte won't stay in a team whose ambition is to win carabao cup. and without them it will be a failure also for the years to come

I think the big problem here is some fans cannot put themselves in modern footballers mindsets.
A fan wants a day out at wembley and some kind of sad bragging rights that they won a cup no one cares about.
A player wants to play in the biggest games, against the biggest teams. The added attraction being more money and more chance for said team to get bigger still.

It's not really possible for the those fans and those players to co-exist.

It's also worth noting that our 14 year spell is absolutely nothing compared to 15 other teams in the PL. Everton, Villa, Newcastle, West Ham etc have gone decades. 40-60 years for West Ham and Newcastle. What do their fans want most?

1. I didn't say the ambition is to win Carabao cup.
2. We need to win a trophy to learn how to win trophies. We have to start somewhere.
Even when Chelsea and Man city had the rich owners, their first trophies were domestic cups.
3. I bet Kane, Son and the team including Conte will be the happiest to win any trophy this season. The league table will take of itself,
4. No big club can justify not winning a trophy for 14 soon 15 seasons is not a failure no matter how hard jack sparrow jack sparrow , Matt1882 & co try to.

In summary:
1. A big club with no trophy for 14 seasons is a failure.
2. Top 4 or top 6 is status and financial benefit, opportunity to win CL and EL cups.
3. A trophy is a trophy, specially for a club with a dusty trophy cabinet.
4. Spurs state of the are stadium tour does not include trophy cabinet is a massive embarrassment.
5. I am shocked and embarrassed over 43% of a big club fans voting for we do need to win trophies.

1. I didn't say the ambition is to win Carabao cup.
2. We need to win a trophy to learn how to win trophies. We have to start somewhere.
Even when Chelsea and Man city had the rich owners, their first trophies were domestic cups.
3. I bet Kane, Son and the team including Conte will be the happiest to win any trophy this season. The league table will take of itself,
4. No big club can justify not winning a trophy for 14 soon 15 seasons is not a failure no matter how hard jack sparrow jack sparrow , Matt1882 & co try to.

In summary:
1. A big club with no trophy for 14 seasons is a failure.
2. Top 4 or top 6 is status and financial benefit, opportunity to win CL and EL cups.
3. A trophy is a trophy, specially for a club with a dusty trophy cabinet.
4. Spurs state of the are stadium tour does not include trophy cabinet is a massive embarrassment.
5. I am shocked and embarrassed over 43% of a big club fans voting for we do need to win trophies.

With respect to Summary point #5, the poll question changed after most of us had already voted. The question used to be "Would you give up a spot in the Top 4 to win a trophy?", or something of that nature. Why it was changed, which changed the whole dynamic of the conversation, is beyond me.

I'd take top 6 and an FA Cup. The cartoon cup is a non-entity. I'll celebrate it if we win it, sure, but not too loudly and it's not worth finishing 5th for.

Anything less than 6th is abject failure, unless you win the CL. That's just the way life is. The 80s are over.

With respect to Summary point #5, the poll question changed after most of us had already voted. The question used to be "Would you give up a spot in the Top 4 to win a trophy?", or something of that nature. Why it was changed, which changed the whole dynamic of the conversation, is beyond me.

When I voted it definitely was "would you swap 4th for a trophy"
You only need to read the vast majority of replies to know that's the question people were responding to.

When I voted it definitely was "would you swap 4th for a trophy"
You only need to read the vast majority of replies to know that's the question people were responding to.
I do see now that the name of the thread is "Would You Swap Top 4 for a Trophy?", whereas the title of the poll is "Do We Need to Win a Trophy?". These are two separate questions, and I would say in many cases, they have different answers. I would like to think most of us think that we need a trophy, but most of us probably wouldn't give up a Top 4 spot to get it. In some cases, some would say they would if it was the UEFA Cup, because that would put us in the Champions League without having finished in the Top 4.

I do see now that the name of the thread is "Would You Swap Top 4 for a Trophy?", whereas the title of the poll is "Do We Need to Win a Trophy?". These are two separate questions, and I would say in many cases, they have different answers. I would like to think most of us think that we need a trophy, but most of us probably wouldn't give up a Top 4 spot to get it. In some cases, some would say they would if it was the UEFA Cup, because that would put us in the Champions League without having finished in the Top 4.
I absolutely do want a trophy but only secondary to ensuring we qualify for the Champions league.
It has to be in addition to, and never, rather than.

The league really just needs to take a large portion of the annual premier league revenues it awards based on the place you finish, and alott it to the FA and league cup.

And if they can have the winner be automatically EPL bound, (and not relegated), it's even more incentive for lower league and bottom half EPL clubs.

Winning the champions league gives you automatic qualification for the comp the following year anyway, no? So if the trophy in question is the champions league then undeniably yes.

Hell, even the Europa (which also gives you automatic entry into CL) would have me saying yes

Does anyone think Kane will be happy with regular top 4 finishes and playing in the CLand not winning a trophy? He has made it clear he will not and wants trophies. If he is to renew his contract he needs to believe that will happen. Just concentrate on PL then he will run down his contract or be sold when only 12 months remain. We need to continue to play strong teams when playing cup matches like yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom