Would you strike against Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you be willing to not show up to your seat in protest of the clubs current behaviour?

• Yes

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 60.0%

• Total voters
Another day, another poll. Sorry.

In all my years as a Spurs fan this is the closest and at the same time the farthest that I have felt from the club that I love. It's the closest in that I'm feeling the collective pain and disillusionment of my fellow fans, not with the players but in what the club is becoming. Farthest in that I just don't have a clue anymore where we are going and how we're going to get there.

There's a fair bit of talk about what needs to change, what we'd like to see happen and loads of finger pointing. I've said elsewhere that in the current climate it would take a significant action to actually make the powers that be sit up and take notice (no I'm not planning on streaking on Sundays game, so don't get excited). As we know those powers couldn't give two-hoots about any grumbling on the internet or even in the stands.

Even worse is us supporters and the general apathy in this day and age to want to make a difference (I'm guilty). Whilst TFC (1882), the Supporters Trust and other amicable groups are doing their damnest most fans will generally be hoping that someone else will take the reins and sort it out. However when we want to be we can be the most vocal and passionate on the internet shouting at people we don't even know.

So thinking about it…(clearly the Tube strikes have got me going) if a hypothetical call was made to not show up to you seat for a game in protest…would you?

Ok there's going to be a lot of commentary on this. I appreciate that.
For example, would the club or the media even care? It would never work unless it was a whole block? If we protested outside would we be allowed to bring a drum? Would there be bacon sandwiches?

What I'm more interested in is whether us as supporters feel that we have reached a tipping point when it's actually time to stop typing and to be heard or are we blowing this all out of proportion and actually it's just us being Spursy and getting carried away.

The only way the club would care is if the tickets remain unsold. The problem being that a strike could be called but then those who go to one or two a season would happily snap up the tickets left unsold by others.

Yeah, the ground would look shit without all ST holders in their seat, but its not like the club don't have the cash for the game anyway, so why would they care?

Do you mean paying for the seat but not actually turning up? I doubt the club would care very much, they still get the money.

Boycotting games completely is the best way to go about it. Oh, and fans protest outside of the ground. Also, silent protests have been done on the continent (one was by Lazio Ultras) whereby the fans don't sing, cheer or jeer the opposition, but stand in silence to prove a point.

The reality is that a lot of these measures are only effective if the supporters are united and pull in the same direction. Half-hearted protests get nowhere.

100% behind some kind of protest. Something like everybody just not come out for the start of the match. Everybody just stay on the concourse watching it on the screens with the terraces empty as they kick off for the first 15 or 30 mins or so. Do it at a live Sky game.

I've considered this many times. I.think that something like having as many fans waiting for the first ten minutes in the concourse before taking their seats, ie every season ticket holder etc is one of the most obvious. If 20'000 or so fans waited in the aisles singing Stand up if you hate Enic, and chants of that ilk. It would certainly be noticed. But getting th the message across to that many people is an almost impossible task.

Also it would have to involve someone, or an organisation (ie the trust) communicating with the club to express why we're protesting and what we'd like to achieve from it. Getting media attention etc as well. So that when the cameras pan round people know why the stadium is empty.
And we'd need clear goals set out. A protest just to get Enic out is stupid and pointless and makes us look muggy. No better than gooners. But a protest at the lack of communication between board and fans etc will likely achieve far more.

More than any other thing recently, whats most pissed me off was the clubs meagre submission in the reduced ticket allocation at the shithole. An absolute sell out of the fans at the hands of our closest and bitterest rivals too. At the very, very least the club should have demanded that the 4000 extra tickets we were entitled to, yes entitled to as written in the FA rules, were left unsold and not handed over to the home team. A complete and utter disgraceful showing by the board of Tottenham Hotspur, and thats my honest opinion.

I started my own personal protest at the start of last season (2012-2013) when i decided £50 was my cut-off point for tickets. I have only attended two Cat A games in that time (Chelsea this year - but only as it was part of a 4 game package).

My Cat As have been replaced with Cat 1882s - 10% of the cost but 10X the fun.

Also, silent protests have been done on the continent (one was by Lazio Ultras) whereby the fans don't sing, cheer or jeer the opposition, but stand in silence to prove a point..

It would seem plenty have already been doing their 'bit' at The Lane this season!!!

Last edited:
I dunno - remember those actively using social media and message boards is still very very much the minority of our fan base I'd guess. Then you have all the others that simply don't have the all encompassing passion that many on here do - I don't mean that as a dig but these people simply have other priorities - families, jobs etc that take their time and energy and just come to football to watch a decent game and have no time to join in with 1882 or the Trust's protests. The West Upper will still be in there, the Paxton will still be there etc etc...would look daft with a small section of the Shelf and Park Lane just turning their backs. Even the protests in Italy with Lazio and Milan have bugger all effect on their owners.

Something needs to be done though - maybe boycotting merchandising, banners at away games where they let them in, protests pre match at the gates? We just need to be very clear as to what we are protesting against. Seems a bit woolly and just a general "feeling" rather than anything concrete that they couldn't answer at the moment tbf.

It would be epic....but as was proven with the way the Anti Stratford protesters were treated, and how many fans were up for leaving in order to "take the club to the next level", our fanbase is fucked beyond all repair.

The "Sheik" poll has shown what a large number of us prioritise these days.

Silent sitting down but with billions in the bank and trophies is appealing to the majority.

The others dont count.

If fans identified to a specific sign (facial mask maybe?) that expressed their feelings, it could be visibly demonstrated during a major televised home game.

Unless the Bayern board decide to take over Spurs I don't see anything short of a mass protest throughout the entire stadium working. When Newcastle fans didn't show up for a game in numbers what came of it? Other than a tiny bit of publicity on the day - nothing else.

The fan base is so fractured I don't know what the solution would be, you would need an entire stand allocated to specific individuals to get the atmosphere back, like a permanent stand for season ticket holders interested in the 1882 movement only.

Unless Spurs can get guaranteed ticket sell-outs from the same people for that one stand how's that going to happen? Perhaps the club need to poll all season-ticket holders who want to sing and shift their seats to the north or south stand permanently. If there's 21000 season ticket holders a third of those need to be willing to move. Otherwise they need to do this for the single tier when the new stadium is built but I feel that's going to be too late.

I know Woolwich season-ticket 'fans' - basically fair-weather supporters. This is what Levy is aiming for and wants unfortunately. Less hassle over more atmosphere.

Unless the Bayern board decide to take over Spurs I don't see anything short of a mass protest throughout the entire stadium working. When Newcastle fans didn't show up for a game in numbers what came of it? Other than a tiny bit of publicity on the day - nothing else.

The fan base is so fractured I don't know what the solution would be, you would need an entire stand allocated to specific individuals to get the atmosphere back, like a permanent stand for season ticket holders interested in the 1882 movement only.

Unless Spurs can get guaranteed ticket sell-outs from the same people for that one stand how's that going to happen? Perhaps the club need to poll all season-ticket holders who want to sing and shift their seats to the north or south stand permanently. If there's 21000 season ticket holders a third of those need to be willing to move. Otherwise they need to do this for the single tier when the new stadium is built but I feel that's going to be too late.

I know Woolwich season-ticket 'fans' - basically fair-weather supporters. This is what Levy is aiming for and wants unfortunately. Less hassle over more atmosphere.
I'm all for the segregation of fans into tiers of how they like to enjoy the game, as everyone enjoys the game differently.

The 1882 movement is fantastic and is growing, the more it grows the more the above will become possible. Even if it's not denoted by the club itself, singing in one section will soon be renowned within the faithful.

Assemble protesters outside WHL on a match day. Bring banners. Make noise. Demonstrate by the StubHub queue. Fight the police.

That's your best bet as far as getting the club and media's attention. A strike (or at least a noticeable one) isn't possible to pull off. Internet campaigning is invisible and a false hope. Take it to the streets.

Also, silent protests have been done on the continent (one was by Lazio Ultras) whereby the fans don't sing, cheer or jeer the opposition, but stand in silence to prove a point.
Don't think this would do much to change their minds. Seems that the English football establishment has made this their overarching goal.

Back
Top Bottom