Worst Spurs players ever

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's almost certainly already been said, but Paulinho was a shower of shit in so many different ways.

He was a fucking awful footballer to start with, which is fine, you know, there are plenty of shit footballers out there. But he was a mentally weak, bottling cunt as well which made it a lot worse. Players like Ryan Mason, for example, while not the most talented, made up for it with work rate, intensity, passion and desire, which is really admirable. The same couldn't be said for Paulinho.

An utterly detestable player.

Definitely. When it comes to the worst attitude award, he pips them all.

Came to us with a sob story about how he was hard done by in Estonia or somewhere, said he was determined to make it, then received one hard tackle and turned into a complete pussy with the attitude of a lifetime benefits cheat.

There have been so many, but one stands out above all others. Ramon Vega. He was worth at least one goal a game to the opposition

Think he might have a box at Spurs now. Certainly saw him in one last season at the Man Utd game where he was celebrating the win and waving to all the Spurs fans . He is a multi millionaire now so must have done something right even if it wasn't on the football pitch.

...agreed, and whilst he's probably worth a considerable amount more now...
he'll always be worth at least one goal a game to the opposition!!

For him and David Howells "pass it sideways" meant give it to Gazza. Which was always the right option to be fair.
Look at our FA Cup Semi-Final line-up against the Arse >>
1991 Team: Thorstvedt, Edinburgh, Van Den Hauwe, Sedgley, Howells, Mabbutt, Stewart, Gascoigne (Nayim), Samways (Walsh), Lineker, Allen

Remember, that was also our eventual FA Cup Winning team! ...and yet i'd say no more than three or four would get into our current side! (and i'm only including Thorstvedt as back-up to Lloris, not instead of him!)

We even played a not too dissimilar system in '91 to the one we play today... you could argue that any one of Jan, Toby or Dier are the solid dependable defensive leaders that Mabbutt so epitomised,
Dele :allitongue: clearly plays the Gazza role :gazza: in our team, Lineker is ably played by Kane :kanehand:

...yet compare the rest of the '91 team with the current team that beat the same lot on Sunday, and we are by far superior in every department (if you don't take into consideration Lineker's vastly superior experience and striking career compared to Kane's relatively early one!)

I remember thinking what a solid, yet wildly talented team we had back in the 1991 Cup run... but really and truly, we were only talking about Gazza & Lineker... the rest (especially the English core of Howells, Samways, Sedgley and Paul Allen would be journeymen midfielders at a mid-lower Premier League club today!
(...maybe i'm being a bit harsh to lump 'Clive's Cousin' in with the other three)

But you look at the core of our team today, and the likes of Dembele, Wanyama, Eriksen, even Son would walk the league back then... the overall technical standard (not to mention the endurance/fitness levels back then) of all the teams in England at the time was so much lower! How else did ArseAnal get away with 'doing a Leicester' consistently for the best part of a decade??

This is probably in the wrong thread now... but you get the gist! I just wanted to put a positive spin on our 'worst players ever' idea... as it was a very different game back then!
(incidentally, I just want to stress that I don't for one minute suggest that any of that 1991 Cup Final squad would be considered 'worst Spurs players ever'... we've had far worse!)

Do you also remember Vinny Samways? We used to call him Vinny Sideways as I don't think he ever made a forward pass in his life.
Samways was one of our better players in the late 80s early 90s. He also came through from the youth team and was a proper spurs guy. He was superb in the cup final when gazza nearly fucked it all up.the guy was ahead of his time, if he'd been around now he'd be getting hyped for pass accuracy and keeping posession. He was a great influence with Paul Allen and Howells in our midfield particularly in 92 when we had a young team with the likes of anderton and barmby.

Samways was one of our better players in the late 80s early 90s. He also came through from the youth team and was a proper spurs guy. He was superb in the cup final when gazza nearly fucked it all up.the guy was ahead of his time, if he'd been around now he'd be getting hyped for pass accuracy and keeping posession. He was a great influence with Paul Allen and Howells in our midfield particularly in 92 when we had a young team with the likes of anderton and barmby.

I think that says it all!!
But yes, to be fair, he definitely came of age in that Cup Final... whilst Gazza seemed to visibly regress!!

Definitely. When it comes to the worst attitude award, he pips them all.

Came to us with a sob story about how he was hard done by in Estonia or somewhere, said he was determined to make it, then received one hard tackle and turned into a complete pussy with the attitude of a lifetime benefits cheat.
Generally I don't 'hate' any player that pulls on our strip. I respect them for representing Spurs and wish every one of them does well. That changed when he and Adebayor actively avoided the football when they were in that wall defending a free kick against West Ham. I fucking despised the cunt after that. It was one of the most cowardly acts I've seen.

Sid Richardson was talking about him on the Spanish football podcast - how when he moved to Spain he was seen completely different player -think he was a hard man enforcer.

Generally I don't 'hate' any player that pulls on our strip. I respect them for representing Spurs and wish every one of them does well. That changed when he and Adebayor actively avoided the football when they were in that wall defending a free kick against West Ham. I fucking despised the cunt after that. It was one of the most cowardly acts I've seen.

Well, that and the reaction which you felt like they were trying not to laugh at it

Last edited:
No way Vinny Samways should be in this thread! Compared to some of our midfield maestro's since, paulinhio, Andy Gray, dozzell, Saib and Berti to name a few. Vinny is a god!!

Problem was previously we had Hoddle, ardiles, hazzard, Galvin, villa, Waddle, all top quality then we only really had Gascoigne.....the quality dipped for season after season.....Ginola being the one bright spark in those years.

Samways was immense in the cup final when gazza went off, but so was Nayim that day.

No way Vinny Samways should be in this thread! Compared to some of our midfield maestro's since, paulinhio, Andy Gray, dozzell, Saib and Berti to name a few. Vinny is a god!!

Problem was previously we had Hoddle, ardiles, hazzard, Galvin, villa, Waddle, all top quality then we only really had Gascoigne.....the quality dipped for season after season.....Ginola being the one bright spark in those years.

Samways was immense in the cup final when gazza went off, but so was Nayim that day.
Ye know, when I was mascot, I had a kick about with Nayim in the centre circle. He was alright, no McGinn, but alright.
I said to him: here, Naz, next time ye're in the dying embers of a cup winners cup final ye should take a pot shot from the half way line on the half volley.
He said: nae bother wee man, I'll remember that.

No idea what became of the man

Apologies if these players have already been mentioned. Mimms, Tremmezani, Rasiak, Toda, Gilberto, Kerslake, Dozzell, Cundy & Nethercott spring to mind at the top of my head. I don't quite get the fascination with Nicola Berti either !

Apologies if these players have already been mentioned. Mimms, Tremmezani, Rasiak, Toda, Gilberto, Kerslake, Dozzell, Cundy & Nethercott spring to mind at the top of my head. I don't quite get the fascination with Nicola Berti either !

...man, that's made me go all clammy... the memory of the sheer sinking feeling you'd have when any combination of those names were on the teamsheet... (and in some cases, 3 or 4 were in the same team!)

Horrible horrible days!

Back
Top Bottom