Worst Spurs players ever

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Seemed to me he was only interested in being a world class player, and when he realised the best he could be was a very good player, he lost interest.

I think he's admitted that he lost interest when he stopped enjoying football, which was due in part to the way he got dicked around under Harry's agenda.

Ryan Mason played more games for us than Bentley, so I don't feel he ever really got a chance.

I think he's admitted that he lost interest when he stopped enjoying football, which was due in part to the way he got dicked around under Harry's agenda.

Ryan Mason played more games for us than Bentley, so I don't feel he ever really got a chance.
Maybe that's why he soaked him in water that time after we beat Man City...

Nah, he did an interview where he said he loved Harry, and they did it out of affection, but apparently Harry went apeshit and exiled him
You may have a point about Harry and Bentley, I don't really know enough about it. But I would still wonder why Bentley didn't just go and find another club, or try harder when he did- on loan. Many times players have found themselves with a manager they didn't get on with, but they didn't let it ruin their careers. IMO there was something going on psychologically for him besides his relationship with Harry. Perhaps my earlier comment was harsh though.

You may have a point about Harry and Bentley, I don't really know enough about it. But I would still wonder why Bentley didn't just go and find another club, or try harder when he did- on loan. Many times players have found themselves with a manager they didn't get on with, but they didn't let it ruin their careers. IMO there was something going on psychologically for him besides his relationship with Harry. Perhaps my earlier comment was harsh though.

Found it now - he goes through it all here:

Has it been overhyped, or was drenching Harry Redknapp with water after Spurs got into the Champions League by beating Manchester City really something that broke your relationship with him?
Darren Walsh, via Facebook

I think it was, yes. He wasn’t happy; he thought I was being disrespectful. I did it because we all loved him so much. I had played a lot and been involved. I was dropped for the game, even though I had set up goals the week before – he picked Aaron Lennon ahead of me – so I could have had the hump with him but I didn’t. I was well happy. We’d done it. I was part of it, and because the whole dressing room liked him, I did him with the water. It got back to me that he wasn’t pleased, and that was disappointing because I really like him.

What’s the story behind that video of you kicking a ball from an office block into a skip?
Penny Hampton, via Facebook

It was when I was at Tottenham. We’d lost on the Saturday and I was having a bad time. Red Bull asked me to their offices in central London to do a stunt. I wasn’t interested but went along anyway, and the next thing I know I’m on the roof with a ball. I said I was going to hit a red bus, which worried them as they thought I might kill someone.

Instead, we aimed for a skip. Bang – it’s gone in. I'd bet my agent his expensive watch and the ball went straight in. It got lodged and just stuck. It was probably the best thing I ever did!

You were named man of the match on your Birmingham debut against Aston Villa. How did the Second City Derby compare to the north London one? Admit it: it’s more tasty!
Steve P, via email

They do hate each other, but it’s not as good as Woolwich vs Tottenham. Sorry!

How gutting was it to be injured so early on at West Ham? You’d started pretty well…
Greg Smyth, via email

That was a bit of a bummer because I was really enjoying it there. That injury was my first long-term knock, and I think I began to give up on it all. I had got some excitement back and the fans were good, so I was gutted.

Did you enjoy your spell in Russia at FC Rostov? How did the move happen?
Paddy Verrill, via Facebook

After West Ham I fancied a move away. Why not? It was sold to me well, the finances were very appealing and it was in the back of my mind that I might pack it all in soon. I thought three or four months would be good. Someone told me I would be the first English player to play out there and that milestone appealed to me, too. The club are in the south of Russia, the weather was great and I liked it. It was certainly an experience.

What was your second spell with Blackburn like? Did you find the club quite chaotic under Venky’s?
Chris Lawson, via email

When I came back from Russia, I went back to Spurs and waited it out to the end of my contract. Blackburn came in, and I’d liked it there first time around so I thought: ‘Let’s give that a go’. But I found a very different place. Venky’s had come in and the club was all over the place. The club I knew had gone. I think that was the last nail in the coffin for me. I had fallen out of love with football.

I see Paulinho scored a hat-trick for Brazil last night

Scenes

I am truly stunned by that.

Weird thing about Paulinho was when he first came he had some very good performances for us. (I remember the Stoke match where he played a blinder) It seemed like the longer he was with us the worse he got. His last 5-10 appearances I remember he would literally do nothing. It actually seemed like he was doing everything possible to not touch the ball.

I am truly stunned by that.

Weird thing about Paulinho was when he first came he had some very good performances for us. (I remember the Stoke match where he played a blinder) It seemed like the longer he was with us the worse he got. His last 5-10 appearances I remember he would literally do nothing. It actually seemed like he was doing everything possible to not touch the ball.

He was great his first few games. He completely ruined Palace which was his debut and was great against Swansea too. It started to go down hill from there though, not just for him admittedly.

If Pochettino couldn't get the best out of him the following then there isn't much hope. Maybe just one of those that didn't suit the club but flourishes elsewhere. It happens.

Ben Thatcher
- Signed by George Graham
- Developed at the football academies of Millwall and Wimbledon
- Only cost 5 mil (in 2000)
- and has a shit last name

This feels a bit unfair to say this but Mitchell Thomas sticks out in my mind. He had a really heavy first touch and every time the ball went near him you worried what might happen next. But IIRC the fans' attitude at the time was that he was a Spurs player so we backed him despite his comedy defending. How times change...

This feels a bit unfair to say this but Mitchell Thomas sticks out in my mind. He had a really heavy first touch and every time the ball went near him you worried what might happen next. But IIRC the fans' attitude at the time was that he was a Spurs player so we backed him despite his comedy defending. How times change...
Although top tier football players have always been paid well, since the PL and SKY, and the obscene wages they get, then people have less patience than what they may have in years gone by. There's also an element of the "want it now " brigade, too, but for me, I get pissed off with a combination of poor attitude and high pay, when it applies. Fortunately, it doesn't appear to be the case in the main.

LOL.... I was gonna mention Mitch, but felt mean!

Cult heros of my earliest days at The Lane... Erik The Viking, Vinny Sideways, Mitch, Jukebox, Nayeeeeeeeeem, Pauly-Pauly Walsh

Good times (albeit the eve of some darker days)!

LOL.... I was gonna mention Mitch, but felt mean!

Cult heros of my earliest days at The Lane... Erik The Viking, Vinny Sideways, Mitch, Jukebox, Nayeeeeeeeeem, Pauly-Pauly Walsh

Good times (albeit the eve of some darker days)!

Mitch scored at West Ham - a screaming left foot into the roof of the net. It was Bale-esque - except it was meant to be a cross and he had blatantly shinned it!

Back
Top Bottom