Woolwich v Tottenham Hotspur - September 1st 2019 16-30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A decade ago we'd be celebrating.
Yeah and remember the 90s and when we went down in the 70s.

Once we lost to West Ham, Burnley and Southampton too, 6 months ago, so right now I’m delighted we bottled a 2-0 lead, the manager destroyed our momentum and VAR stopped it being a total cunt and just kept it to normal levels of shit.

But yeah let’s celebrate the “fact” that ten years ago, throwing away 2-0 leads to the Scum was a laugh.
In fact, ten years ago this happened...

Slightly different wouldn’t you say

[55 mins] ...Spurs chant "stand up if you're Champions League". Gooners retort "stand up if you've won the league". Everyone stands up.
That moment for me epitomised their ignorant modern day: "football was invented in 1992 " Fan base!
Didn't they sing a similar song ;"Have you ever won the League...?" to (I think) Burnley a few years ago... and they all got laughed at by the Burnley fans!

Last edited:
15/16 was a good window
A long time ago.

We should have about a dozen new players in since that time. All things being equal, about a third would be regular first teamers.

We can't turn the clock back, but what a wasted opportunity those years were?

Yesterday's starting 11 (minus Lamela and Trippier) was a team that we started with many times last season (and the season before!)

A bit more spin on that Kane effort and it goes in off the post.... so frustrating.

Their defence is fucking pony.

Mixed emotions after what could have been, but grateful for the point.

A level headed perspective is that both this and the City fixture were losses last year, so that’s a positive...

Kane was fucked from at least the 60th minute. I thought he looked lean and mean pre-season but I fear that ankle injury may have a lasting impact. Not getting a striker will cost us this season. He gets injured every year, and this time no Llorente. And if we are going to rely on Parrot in the event, he needs game time and experience NOW.

Sanchez was fucking awful. When he was supposedly playing right back he kept going to the centre, leaving acres of space when they brought Mkhitaryan in.

Last note, Xhaka made 7 fouls before he got booked. At least two of the previous six were worthy of yellows - how he wasn’t booked for the penalty I don’t know - what’s the prick got to do to get sent off?

A bit more spin on that Kane effort and it goes in off the post.... so frustrating.

Their defence is fucking pony.
Honestly that was the main take away from that game from me, we were not at the races for large parts but still almost got the win and every time we looked forward looked threatening. Gave me confidence that we will have no issue getting CL again once we get up to speed if that's our competition. Still can't believe some places were talking about their 'best start to the season in 10 years' after they struggled in wins over Newcastle and Burnley. Both games they looked poor and defensively fragile. In saying that you would think they would improve when Bellerin and Tierney are back - people criticised Mustafi this season and I am sure Luiz will be their new scapegoat this year but Sokratis, Maitland-Niles and Kolasinac are just as bad. Not to mention Xhaka in the midfield who I think is a terrible footballer.

Would've taken a point before the game.
Bit frustrating after being 2-0 up but that's football, improvement on last year's result so reasonably content.

My main gripe is the standard of officiating in the 'best league in the world'.
Ignoring the penalty at the end (which was stone wall and no different to the one Aubameyang got a Wembley in the last minute last year). Ceballos rugby tackling Alli to the floor and no one even comments on it. Yellow cards to us for nothing challenges yet Xhaka gives away a penalty and makes 7 fouls before he’s booked in the last minute. Even the 50/50 tackles you want to see in a derby were classed as free kicks for Woolwich until it went 2-2 and we suddenly get 3 of them in a minute.

Everyone goes on about VAR ruining the game etc (different story!) but when will we actually take a step back and question whether the bloke in the middle of the pitch is up to the job? Not just in our game yesterday which was one of the worst refereeing performances I've seen for a long time, but in games throughout the league already this season the standard of referees has been called into question.

Officiating was poor, however the game changed when they scored before half time.

2 nil at half time would have caused Emery to make changes immediately to chase the game, and the way we were playing would have opened them up on the counter.

Like many here, I would have taken a point "before kick off ".
Now i feel its 2 points dropped.

I feel lucky that I had two seasons of not pacing the floor every time I watched a game but i'm back to thinking we're there for the taking and only one bad pass away from conceding. Briefly I watched game content knowing that we will push to the final whistle and very capable of overwhelming the opposition to grab a late goal, no it feels that we're hanging on again in every game.

Our build-up seemed less laboured at times yesterday however this was in part to the aggressive nature of the opposition, I though a lot of our players looked fatigued and sloppy, almost distracted resulting in silly passes. Lloris made a couple of fine saves but FFS how many times is he going to play us into trouble and not learn from it, its tragic that we know this is going to happen a couple of times every game.

Felt Davies should have come on for Rose at half time as he was tired and on a yellow, Ali for Lamella and Moura for Son with 20mins to go.

There were some positives to take from the game but i'm not sure if that was our doing or how the opposition lined up. Still a point away was very much needed, i'm not sure what the international break will achieve but i'm praying for something.

I had a good day out. The atmosphere was decent. We needed to go in at half time 2-0 up. Haven’t seen any highlights, but was it a pen on Kane at the end?

That's a good point. Where is he?

Didn't get to watch the game till 8pm last night... Just having a read through the wreckage now....

A few take-aways:

- Son, Lamela, Winks did well.
- We seem a bit shot shy... Shame, cos Leno is dodgy as fuck.
- Serge may as well leave if he can't even get a game as 3rd RB.
- Rose cost us for the first goal. Time to give BD a run.
- Shoulda gone 3CBs when it became evident Sanchez was struggling (MS to RWB).
- Ref was the proverbial 'home ref' > No point in VAR. (See Dele pen shout and Zhaka farce).
- Subs weren't great.
- Again, I don't see anything about the way we play that means players need to be 'eased in' so slowly (see GLC).
- Need to get Skip broken in pronto > need options.
- Sissoko: Shooting practice is an easy fix... No excuses.
- Kane wasn't as bad as some made out.

.....and John Thomas John Thomas is an abhorrent little snide. :)

After sleeping on the result I’ve had a few thoughts.

- Kane didn’t dive. If that’s Kane with his hands on Skoratis’ back then I bet a freekick is given to Woolwich. Atkinson had a terrible game, but nothing will come of it.

- Winks done the job of 2 men yesterday. Sissoko is a great squad player but don’t think he’s good enough to start with the current squad.

- Davies needs a run in the team. Rose has been poor in the 4 games so far.

- We’ve picked up points at Woolwich and City, we’d have taken than at the beginning of the season, and that’s without a fully fit and available team. Once the international break is out the way I think we’ll really improve, with 2 tough fixtures already played.

On the face of it, yes 2-2 draws AWAY at Man City and Arse ARE good results (and better than last season)

What we're ALL thinking is that it's the Newcastle game last week that has 'apparently' already killed our season!

On the face of it, yes 2-2 draws AWAY at Man City and Arse ARE good results (and better than last season)

What we're ALL thinking is that it's the Newcastle game last week that has 'apparently' already killed our season!

I think it's looking back on last season when games against teams like Newcastle proved to be our Achille's Heel. It's the dread that we have learnt little from that and once again those types of matches are going to cost us dearly. The next batch of fixtures prior to the Liverpool game should either prove or disprove that theory. :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom