Woolwich v Tottenham Hotspur - September 1st 2019 16-30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I still wanna know what Poch was trying to achieve by dropping Eriksen for Villa & N'Castle, but not City & Goons....
Long term planning, we need to find a way to play without Eriksen, you try options against the "easier" teams that you should win regardless. Short term pain for long term gain. If not against these teams then who?

If you don't agree with it that's fine but you can see why he did it.

Woolwich could not have played us at a better time given our injuries and uncertainty around certain players, and they still just managed a draw. I don’t think Chelsea have a shot but I hope United get their shit together and give Woolwich a run for fourth.

Exactly! Fully fit squad and no uncertainty would have meant a spurs win.

Long term planning, we need to find a way to play without Eriksen, you try options against the "easier" teams that you should win regardless. Short term pain for long term gain. If not against these teams then who?

All of our other options to replace part of what Eriksen does we’re unavailable though. Lo Celso not integrated, Ndombele and Dele out because of injury/fitness. Probably not the best time to experiment. Let’s wait until we are settled before we start rotating.

Our biggest rivals have become our definitive bogey team of late. Never do I today predict the result anymore, be it win lose or draw - be it in the league or cup - not when it comes to the @rsenal. A one goal lead early doors today means absolutely nothing and so too the same is true regarding a two goal lead as is evident two years consecutively now. I don’t know either why is it that the killer third goal is so elusive anymore than do I understand why it is [they] clearly somehow seem to want it more than we do.

We have the players that on their day can do a job and do it well but those same individuals need to in the cold light of day - to take a long hard look at themselves and their understanding of the importance of winning the north London derby because the team that couldn’t make top four two years running and likely won’t this season are currently laughing at us!
Yes- but did they get it?

Woolwich could not have played us at a better time given our injuries and uncertainty around certain players, and they still just managed a draw. I don’t think Chelsea have a shot but I hope United get their shit together and give Woolwich a run for fourth.

I think it will be Chelsea not Manchester United that get their shit together.

All of our other options to replace part of what Eriksen does we’re unavailable though. Lo Celso not integrated, Ndombele and Dele out because of injury/fitness. Probably not the best time to experiment. Let’s wait until we are settled before we start rotating.
It was newcastle... I know the result but it is a game to try new things.

The first time I remember watching football was the 1976 European championships finals final I-believe Czechoslovakia won on pens: I would have been nine.The first time I watched Tottenham Hotspur at the lane was the 1979-80 FA cup quarter final at home to Liverpool 0-1 ( Terry McDermott).

If that’s a couple of weeks I’m surprised you can even spell pedantic much-less know what it means.
and very touchy I see. Lighten up mate, it's clearly a fucking joke. Perhaps it was just better to assume that you think the team scores first always wins.

Yes- but did they get it?

You’re over-looking the issue here. When they got in to gear we begun looking very desperate with much flapping going on in midfield and defence. They looked calm and in control for far too long in that second half. If we don’t match that sort of hunger whilst at the same time introducing some footballing foresight we will be in the Europa league next season rather than them.

...Last note, Xhaka made 7 fouls before he got booked. At least two of the previous six were worthy of yellows - how he wasn’t booked for the penalty I don’t know - what’s the prick got to do to get sent off?
Sign for us!!!

You realise that means they're gonna give US a run for 4th too...
Unless you have us nailed on for 3rd?

That experimentation is three points lost and three points lost that will matter greatly when the fat lady sings. Major balls-up by the head coach; he should have shown the Geordies more respect so we could beat them! You can’t disrespect any premier league side!

Combined with Poch's pressers of late, he was certainly projecting a weird message either way.

That aside, bit of a futile effort when the player most likely to fill that gap is kicking his heels under the pretentious notion that our football is more advanced and more demanding than other teams. Similarly, futile if you're not gonna try and play any differently (we knew ages ago that we struggle creatively without Eriksen) so the pure grind of Villa/Newcastle should have proved no suprise.

There were no signs that anything new had been worked on in training.

I'd like to think we could devise a plan before trying to execute it.

Last edited:
That experimentation is three points lost and three points lost that will matter greatly when the fat lady sings. Major balls-up by the head coach; he should have shown the Geordies more respect so we could beat them! You can’t disrespect any premier league side!
Yes hindsights great... If it worked it may mean more options in the future meaning 3 points in that game etc...

You can't disrespect any team but you do need to plan for the future

Sa
I don’t know what you were watching or drinking while you were watching.We were saved by VAR and but for VAR that would have been two consecutive seasons - two up at the @rsenal only for them to comeback and us to to lose again. I went nuts at that final whistle - very happy for a point rather than a defeat. We have no killer instinct and when they step up to the plate we flap - yes they had the last laugh again!
saved by VAR? What did miss?

Sign for us!!!

You realise that means they're gonna give US a run for 4th too...
Unless you have us nailed on for 3rd?
I’m extremely bullish on this Spurs team. I think Ndombele and Lo Celso are special. I think Dele will be able to play further up the pitch and have a big year. Eriksen and Toby are staying. Kane finally had some rest. Our bench may be the 2nd best in the league behind only City. FBs are a problem but Poch has his projects in Sessegnon, KWP and Foyth.

I just think we are closer to Liverpool than whoever will end up 4th and nothing I’ve seen his season has convinced me otherwise.

Sa

saved by VAR? What did miss?
Whether it was the lines-man better known today as the (assistant-ref),or indeed the referee “proper” or the bloke watching on a monitor in the VAR room - is neither here nor there. The officials officiate don’t they?

Combined with Poch's pressers of late, he was certainly projecting a weird message either way.

That aside, bit of a futile effort when the player most likely to fill that gap is kicking his heels under the pretentious notion that our football is more advanced and more demanding than other teams. Similarly, futile if you're not gonna try and play any different (we knew ages ago that we struggle creatively without Eriksen) so the pure grind of Villa/Newcastle should have proved no suprise.

There were no signs that anything new had been worked on in training.

I'd like to think we could devise a plan before trying to execute it.
It was shit but it was different, I think it's obvious why we are looking at other options and trying it against these teams regardless of his replacements.

Whether it was the lines-man better known today as the (assistant-ref),or indeed the referee “proper” or the bloke watching on a monitor in the VAR room - is neither here nor there. The officials officiate don’t they?
The offside was offside. Way off and flagged early

We weren’t saved by a mistake that got later picked up so as to count ourselves lucky

He was off. It got flagged.

Yes hindsights great... If it worked it may mean more options in the future meaning 3 points in that game etc...

You can't disrespect any team but you do need to plan for the future

Domestic cups are ready made experimentation laboratories- experiments during bread and butter premier league must wins is not very bright!

Back
Top Bottom