Where will we finish this season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Final league position 2020

• Top 4

• 5-6

• 7-8

• 9-11

• 12-14

Results are only viewable after voting.
Meh. I’d like us to be in Europe as it’s a potential trophy, an opportunity for some squad players, and another route to the CL.

On the other hand a season without European football has proven to be beneficial for other teams around us, so I’m pretty relaxed about either of those possibilities.
Financially beneficial to be in Europe. You know Levy will be eyeing up that aspect

What about this scenario:

- We get the win against Palace; 6W, 2D, 1L after the break.

- Wolves beat Chelsea.

- Chelsea beat Woolwich in the FA Cup.

- Wolves are EL Champions.

We would be out of Europa League, but it wouldn't really be our fault. The worst-case scenario in which Woolwich are champions wouldn't exist - while they already finished behind us in the League.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a EL hater. But considering how tight next season's shedule will be, it would be a massive advantage, from a pragmatic point of view, not having to travel so much and play Thursday-Sunday at least 15 times during the season - not even counting the national cup(s). While, if we were to focus on the national competitions, we would basically have one game to play p/week.

Would you take it?
We wouldn't be out of Europe in that scenario.

Simply put: we're guaranteed 7th minimum now so if Chelsea beat Woolwich in the FA cup we'll get Europa League.

In your hypothetical we finish 7th below Wolves and they qualify for the CL by winning the EL - but that would just mean 5 CL spots with 5th and us getting EL.

We wouldn't be out of Europe in that scenario.

Simply put: we're guaranteed 7th minimum now so if Chelsea beat Woolwich in the FA cup we'll get Europa League.

In your hypothetical we finish 7th below Wolves and they qualify for the CL by winning the EL - but that would just mean 5 CL spots with 5th and us getting EL.
Of course, I don't know how I missed this. Thanks!

What about this scenario:

- We get the win against Palace; 6W, 2D, 1L after the break.

- Wolves beat Chelsea.

- Chelsea beat Woolwich in the FA Cup.

- Wolves are EL Champions.

We would be out of Europa League, but it wouldn't be our fault. The worst-case scenario in which Woolwich are champions wouldn't exist - while they already finished behind us in the League.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a EL hater. But considering how tight next season's shedule will be, it would be a massive advantage, from a pragmatic point of view, not having to travel so much and play Thursday-Sunday at least 15 times during the season - not even counting the national cup(s). While, if we were to focus on the national competitions, we would basically have one game to play p/week.

Would you take it?

No. I want to compete for as many trophies as possible. I also want to give experience to the younger members of the squad.

Why wouldn't we want Europa League? Gives another route into the champions league and allows us to maintain a big squad.

Also, there is an expectation that next seasons Europa and ECL will be limited to single fixture ties (i.e. not played over 2 legs); with the home advantage going to the team with the best goal difference in the previous fixture.

Why wouldn't we want Europa League? Gives another route into the champions league and allows us to maintain a big squad.

Also, there is an expectation that next seasons Europa and ECL will be limited to single fixture ties (i.e. not played over 2 legs); with the home advantage going to the team with the best goal difference in the previous fixture.
Source?

Qualification usually goes as in the table below, with a maximum of seven European spots available.

CompStagePLCupAs things stand
UCL Group 1st LIV
2nd MCI
3rd CHE
4th LEI
UEL Group 5th MUN
FA*WOL
2QR EFL**TOT
*If the FA Cup winners finish in the top five, their UEL spot goes to the next-placed team in the PL yet to qualify
**If the EFL Cup winners finish in the top five, their UEL spot goes to the next-placed team in the PL yet to qualify

Should a Premier League club win the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League, they will automatically qualify for the group stage of next season's UEFA Champions League, regardless of their league finishing position.

A maximum of five Premier League teams are eligible for UEFA Champions League qualification.

If a Premier League club win the UEFA Champions League and another win the UEFA Europa League, and neither finish in the top four, the club lying fourth in the Premier League will drop into the UEFA Europa League group stage.

If you remember the early 90s, when we had some real weaklinks in the side, now we have some very decent players - world cup winner Hugo (whose found some form), Toby A (given new life), Son and Kane.
This means we have a good chance to win whatever competitions we are in, thus we should be in as many as possible. With Mourinho's style of play, our players will not be so exhausted and can play across competitions.
You could argue this season will go down as our Furlough season - where we rest a bit, then go again. I'm far more optimistic about next season than I've been for a long time, so long as Levy backs Mourinho with one or two good signings and we ship out the players he wants rid of.

Been holding off to vote on this but I wanna make my prediction now.
I predict 6th - 7th
No higher than 6th. No lower than 7th.

Anyone know what the bookies are offering on that?

I'm going for a top four finish. Yes I know the first two places are probably nailed on but after that I think it's any one of about four teams for the 3rd and fourth spot. If we finish 6th this season and with a place in Europe then I can only see things improving. A couple of astute signings during transfer window and Spurs are on the up !

Back
Top Bottom