Where will we finish this season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Final league position 2020

• Top 4

• 5-6

• 7-8

• 9-11

• 12-14

Results are only viewable after voting.
Indeed. All that Wolves winning the Europa league would do is gift the PL another CL spot.

The reality is that we have to root on Chelsea on Sunday while also getting the job done ourselves against Palace. 6th is the only potential finish with a guaranteed EL qualification without knowing the outcome of the FA Cup final.

I thought this too up until recently - but it seems the extra CL place would be at the cost of one of England Europa places. We can only relax if Chelsea win the Cup, or if Wolves get knocked out of Europa if we do secure 6th. First club to lose the CL spot in 2012, Wouldn't put it past us being the first to miss out on Europa following the rule change

I thought this too up until recently - but it seems the extra CL place would be at the cost of one of England Europa places. We can only relax if Chelsea win the Cup, or if Wolves get knocked out of Europa if we do secure 6th. First club to lose the CL spot in 2012, Wouldn't put it past us being the first to miss out on Europa following the rule change
Ah, well I stand corrected.

Though of the things required to get fucked over - I certainly have more fear of Woolwich winning the FA cup final than Wolves winning the EL.

I pray that this time next week the results have gone our way and we can relax (or feel more relaxed anyway).

Ah, well I stand corrected.

Though of the things required to get fucked over - I certainly have more fear of Woolwich winning the FA cup final than Wolves winning the EL.

I pray that this time next week the results have gone our way and we can relax (or feel more relaxed anyway).

Feel exactly the same ! - If not - Will be rooting for Inter and one final favour from Eriksen!

Then again, I'm looking on here and I'm not certain of a EL spot being taken away by having 5 CL teams...

Edit: but then again, looking at the season where United won the EL to qualify for the CL, we only saw two EL spots given at the end of the season...

Are you 100% sure on this?

This was on Sky Sports yesterday:

Near the bottom:

How does winning Champions League, Europa League affect qualification?
The Premier League can have a maximum of seven teams qualify for European football.

Also See:
Four teams will be in the Champions League, three in the Europa League. However, if a team finishing outside the top four wins the Champions League or Europa League they will be rewarded with a Champions League group stage spot for next season and one of the Europa League qualifying places will be given up (five teams qualifying for the Champions League, two for the Europa League).

Was just looking for some reassurance than 6th would mean it's done ... made it a whole lot worse

So long story short:

>it's better to snatch 6th on the final day regardless.
>if we do that we can await the FA cup result and are fine if Chelsea win.
>if Woolwich win we have to sweat on EL results regarding Wolves.

The real spanner in the works here is that FA cup final. 7th would be fine otherwise. Chelsea need to do their fucking jobs.

I have heard it differently on other media but maybe they had it wrong. On the Dazn feed (not sure what network it is over there) they have repeatedly said 6th is guaranteed Europa League.

I have heard it differently on other media but maybe they had it wrong. On the Dazn feed (not sure what network it is over there) they have repeatedly said 6th is guaranteed Europa League.
They're semi-right.

You'd think that 6th was guaranteed EL because Man City won the League Cup, but people have now realised that the combination of Woolwich winning the FA cup and Wolves winning the EL (if they finish 7th) would stop 6th place getting EL.

So long story short:

>it's better to snatch 6th on the final day regardless.
>if we do that we can await the FA cup result and are fine if Chelsea win.
>if Woolwich win we have to sweat on EL results regarding Wolves.

The real spanner in the works here is that FA cup final. 7th would be fine otherwise. Chelsea need to do their fucking jobs.

Yep, exactly that.

Chelsea do their job and win the FA Cup we're good whatever we do at the weekend. But as you say, less fear of Wolves winning Europa than Woolwich the FA cup so nicking 6th would still be big

Yep, exactly that.

Chelsea do their job and win the FA Cup we're good whatever we do at the weekend. But as you say, less fear of Wolves winning Europa than Woolwich the FA cup so nicking 6th would still be big
On the plus side, whatever happens we don't have to wait longer than next weekend to find out the FA cup results and it's not like we're praying for Champions League qualification.

4th place and waiting for the Bayern-Chelsea final was far far worse than this could ever be.

On the plus side, whatever happens we don't have to wait longer than next weekend to find out the FA cup results and it's not like we're praying for Champions League qualification.

4th place and waiting for the Bayern-Chelsea final was far far worse than this could ever be.

Haha yep that's some consolation, this feels pretty minor in comparison.

Up until that point I'd never seen a penalty shootout win for Tottenham (of any significance) or England (too young to remember Euro 96). Finally I had a German team to back but we all know what happened

So one media says 8 teams from England and another says only 7.

And both say that UEFA regulations say that England can have 7 or 8 teams in.

So one media says 8 teams from England and another says only 7.

And both say that UEFA regulations say that England can have 7 or 8 teams in.

We'll have to wait and see I guess (and hope it's irrelevant) - although the same is on the Premier League website

"
Five clubs in UEFA Champions League?
What if a club win the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League and finish outside the top four?

In such a scenario, the Premier League would get a fifth representative in the 2020/21 UEFA Champions League.

As a result, only two spots would be available for the UEFA Europa League, with the FA Cup winners getting one of them if they have not already qualified for Europe through their league position.

"

Most other clubs probably wouldn't even bother checking this - Still not healed from 2012 though!

Now it's between 7th and 6th. We go to EL if Woolwich don't win the FA Cup and/or if Wolves lose points against Chelsea - if Wolves lose to Chelsea, a draw against Palace would be enough for us to get 6th; if they draw, we need a win to get 6th.
Incorrect. Because of goal differential, a tie would get us 6th if wolves tie chelsea.

What about this scenario:

- We get the win against Palace; 6W, 2D, 1L after the break.

- Wolves beat Chelsea.

- Chelsea beat Woolwich in the FA Cup.

- Wolves are EL Champions.

We would be out of Europa League, but it wouldn't be our fault. The worst-case scenario in which Woolwich are champions wouldn't exist - while they already finished behind us in the League.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a EL hater. But considering how tight next season's shedule will be, it would be a massive advantage, from a pragmatic point of view, not having to travel so much and play Thursday-Sunday at least 15 times during the season - not even counting the national cup(s). While, if we were to focus on the national competitions, we would basically have one game to play p/week.

Would you take it?

Last edited:
We'll have to wait and see I guess (and hope it's irrelevant) - although the same is on the Premier League website

"
Five clubs in UEFA Champions League?
What if a club win the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League and finish outside the top four?

In such a scenario, the Premier League would get a fifth representative in the 2020/21 UEFA Champions League.

As a result, only two spots would be available for the UEFA Europa League, with the FA Cup winners getting one of them if they have not already qualified for Europe through their league position.

"

Most other clubs probably wouldn't even bother checking this - Still not healed from 2012 though!
Chelsea might just phone it in against Woolwich, just to screw us over again.

What about this scenario:

- We get the win against Palace; 6W, 2D, 1L after the break. Wolves beat Chelsea.

- Chelsea beat Woolwich in the FA Cup.

- Wolves crowned EL champions.

We would be out of Europa League, but it wouldn't really be our fault. The worst-case scenario in which Woolwich are champions wouldn't exist - while they already finished behind us in the League.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a EL hater. But considering how tight next season's shedule will be, it would be a massive advantage, from a pragmatic point of view, not having to travel so much and play Thursday-Sunday at least 15 times during the season - not even counting the national cup(s). While, if we were to focus on the national competitions, we would basically have one game to play p/week.

Honestly, I like the prospect of it.

Would you take it?

Meh. I’d like us to be in Europe as it’s a potential trophy, an opportunity for some squad players, and another route to the CL.

On the other hand a season without European football has proven to be beneficial for other teams around us, so I’m pretty relaxed about either of those possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom