Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm sure you're right. But I also think people are getting used to those CL evenings and seeming like a truly big club and if we fall out of the top 4, people will miss that a lot. If we won 3 FA Cups in 4 years, Spurs fans would probably be a lot more forgiving than Woolwich fans for sure, but a single FA or League Cup win may not buy as much leeway for Poch et all as is being suggested if he can't keep regularly qualifying for the CL.

Also a money issue, no? CL round of sixteen and deeper = big money and marketing exposure (more money).

We are four games into the season. Only pussies fold from the start. I have more faith in our guys.

And like many many before you, you argue against something nobody has said.

Find one person that is only talking about 4 games. Our problems go back to the turn of the year, Have you seen our form since Jan 1 to now.

Do you think the problems of this season are somehow different to the problems that saw us lose to West Ham, Bournemouth, Southampton and Burnley in the space of about 8 weeks?

You´re the pussy...cant face a few simple home truths so you run around celebrating draws from being 2-0 up

Based on the last 16 league games we'd be 17th in the table.

Either Poch's not up to it or we're paying for years of under investment in the squad.

Which is it?
If it was just based on the 3 games this season I'd agree it's knee-jerk,

But it's not. We've been on a downward spiral since February.
Was going to answer these two remarks, but see that Totti has given a perfect summation.
Our downward spiral since February is largely that we ran CM into the ground. No options to rotate and they were knckered by season's end.
We no longer have this team.

D0edkr3X4AAHDBS

Or the key components that that team brought us.

So we no longer have attacking full backs on both sides, willing to provide that outlet with their pace and fearlessness. Willing to get behind the opponents full backs, get in the box and cause havoc.

We no longer have that feared midfield of style, steel, composure and skill. We don't quite have the same defensive consistency, due to a likelihood of injuries and age to those that were once involved.

We now have an ageing Rose, who looks a shadow of his former self. We have an older Lloris, Vertonghen and Alderweireld who all aren't as good as they once were. We've had three starting right backs in 2 years since that photo was taken and none of them have provided us the same sort of threat Walker did (Trippier provided a different threat but in a different team).

We don't (or haven't had) have Dele further forward and allowed to roam, create and score and we don't have Eriksen performing at the same level due to the issues with his future.

We now have Lucas and Son, who we have to try and fit in the squad. Lucas, doesn't really fit in anywhere in how we play, but to his credit has done an admirable job and never complains. Still not sure whether Son is a winger, wide forward or a forward to play alongside Kane and I don't really think Poch knows either.

We'll get through this - no doubt about it.

Probably take a few more weeks, maybe a month or two but I think once Ndombele is up and running, Lo Celso is in the squad and Dele is back, we'll start seeing something that resembles a classic Tottenham team.

Today, we dine on disappointment but we'll be back.
Top comment. I feel the regression at fullback is now our biggest achilles heel.
No wonder Kane had his lowest shots per game average last season, Dele didn't score as much and Eriksen had a so-so season.

Walker and Rose marauding forward, pulling defence's out of shape and formation and causing havoc as you say, was precisely what opened up pockets of space for Kane and Dele to thrive.

Now we can't break down a bus, and clubs like Newcastle and West Ham can come to our new stadium and grind out 1-0 bus park wins. Poch selecting Sissoko and Moura in these types of games doesn't help, they need room to move into. Just like in that last minute counter in the NLD and Sissoko's fluffed shot. They both need space.

We need to fix fullback.
Hopefully Ndombele and Lo Celso help forge a midfield that 'just worked' like the Dier and Dembele partnership.

And like many many before you, you argue against something nobody has said.

Find one person that is only talking about 4 games. Our problems go back to the turn of the year, Have you seen our form since Jan 1 to now.

Do you think the problems of this season are somehow different to the problems that saw us lose to West Ham, Bournemouth, Southampton and Burnley in the space of about 8 weeks?

You´re the pussy...cant face a few simple home truths so you run around celebrating draws from being 2-0 up

During that time we also made the CL Final.

I agree. They're pathetic really, anybody would think we were finishing bottom half year after year.

Maybe it would be better if we were, get rid of some of the self-entitled bitches and leave just the real fans.

Right now I've fucking had enough of these whinging cunts.
Yeah, and all you fucking get is "But trophies" or "Pochettino always picks the same players"

Was going to answer these two remarks, but see that Totti has given a perfect summation.
Our downward spiral since February is largely that we ran CM into the ground. No options to rotate and they were knckered by season's end.
Absolutely right.
The decision not to Back Poch with a single player last summer after he heroically giuded us into the top 4 during a full season at Wembley was criminal.
To then not make amends half way through in January, and actually weaken our midfield even further was nothing short of a humiliating piss take.

I said last summer, when the transfer window slammed shut in Poch's face, he'd be the one getting the shit as the inevitable weariness, lethargy and complacency of the board took it's toll.

And here we are today.

People don't go with the flow and enjoy football for what it is any more....it always has to be a success on their terms...win this, buy him, play like that, win every fucking game, don't do anything for other fans to banter us about...fuck that shit, you'll never be happy...

Our back 4 is badly in need of a refresh. Our fullbacks were the worst set in the top 6 last season, and they are still the same this season. And our CB's are getting up there in years and don't move particularly well anymore.

We had maybe the best back 4 in the league 4 seasons back. Losing Walker and the aging of the two Belgians has really hurt us.

People don't go with the flow and enjoy football for what it is any more....it always has to be a success on their terms...win this, buy him, play like that, win every fucking game, don't do anything for other fans to banter us about...fuck that shit, you'll never be happy...

Couldn’t agree more. Spot on.

Well said, too many people treating it like it's Fifa or Football Manager and think it's easy to create a winning team.

Any of you guys know why he just won't play Aurier ? Yes for sure a liability at times , But can be decent going forward .....and who else can he play there at the moment ? Unless he keeps faith with KWP .

Yeah, and all you fucking get is "But trophies" or "Pochettino always picks the same players"

You forgot:
Going 1-0 down in 90% of games
Losing to bottom half teams
Boring football
Not using the full squad
Playing out of form players due to their name
Poor ineffective subs
Talking shit that should be private
Not defending set pieces properly
Not taking set pieces properly

But don’t let that get in the way

Last year it was Wembley and fatigue.
This year it’s the foreign transfer window

Laughable

That’s fine if the team is playing a brand of football that’s possible to enjoy

This thread is poison. Accept the constraints we have and the fact that the club is in a much better position compared to ten years ago.

Agreed we do need to win something soon, but it will happen soon. Some people’s expectations are far too high and forget we have a stadium to pay off.

Definitely better off now , I remember the nineties well , Dear me it was drab apart from the odd game here and there ....That's what the performance against Newcastle reminded me off , A nineties performance . Please let's not go back to that .

You forgot:
Going 1-0 down in 90% of games
Losing to bottom half teams
Boring football
Not using the full squad
Playing out of form players due to their name
Poor ineffective subs
Talking shit that should be private
Not defending set pieces properly
Not taking set pieces properly

But don’t let that get in the way

Last year it was Wembley and fatigue.
This year it’s the foreign transfer window

Laughable

That’s fine if the team is playing a brand of football that’s possible to enjoy
But that's football, any shit can happen at any time...you just enjoy the fuck out of the highs and then endure the lows until the next high....you know, like drugs...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom