Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not negative but truthful the mentality is still not good enough, defence is poor, and the movement ahead of the ball is not where it should be, so I can't see what is wrong with these quotes we are not good enough and that's it.

What's wrong with it is that you are publicly showing a negative and demoralising attitude currently exists within the club. It may well be truthful but you don't tell the world. Man City and Liverpool must be laughing their socks off after reading that. Four games into a new season and our Captain is announcing
"I think, at the moment, there's something missing from us ".
The rest of the team must be feeling truly elated after seeing the goalkeeper make such a statement. Poch hasn't exactly inspired everyone with confidence at the moment with some of his questionable and negative comments and it would now appear to be slowly seeping through the ranks.

Think it perhaps but don't declare it to the world . If there is something missing then sort it out but do it behind closed doors and away from the media's prying eyes.
I really do despair when some members on this forum are criticising others for not having a more positive attitude towards the coming season after the first few results and then Hugo says something like .
Honesty is one thing but diplomacy is another :thumbup:

All of it mate your saying that one day into the future we might get it right and yet in pochs reign so far we have reached and lost two cup finals, another three semi finals and challenged both Leicester and then Chelsea only to not win anything.
And yet Leicester can go from relegation fodder to EPL winners within a season because they had genuine belief I themselves along with situations going their way, and yet we are still slowly very slowly trying to get there but what is there and what is the real excuse why we can't.
I was being sarcastic, of course. We have built this house on sand.

What's wrong with it is that you are publicly showing a negative and demoralising attitude currently exists within the club. It may well be truthful but you don't tell the world. Man City and Liverpool must be laughing their socks off after reading that. Four games into a new season and our Captain is announcing
The rest of the team must be feeling truly elated after seeing the goalkeeper make such a statement. Poch hasn't exactly inspired everyone with confidence at the moment with some of his questionable and negative comments and it would now appear to be slowly seeping through the ranks.

Think it perhaps but don't declare it to the world . If there is something missing then sort it out but do it behind closed doors and away from the media's prying eyes.
I really do despair when some members on this forum are criticising others for not having a more positive attitude towards the coming season after the first few results and then Hugo says something like .
He did the same thing after the CL Final.

I think Sessegnon will surprise a few people this year at left back. He has the attributes to stretch and menace defences and the pace to recover when needed.

If winks and Ndombele stay fit I can see our midfield thriving.

We have enough up top in the final 3rd to have a cracking season.

It’s just our CB’s we need to find some form and one of our right backs to step up that’s the worrying part.

He did the same thing after the CL Final.

To quote an old saying "You don't wash your dirty laundry in public". Can you imagine David Silva, orJordan Henderson making similar remarks about their clubs ? . They would probably be fined internally and given a disciplinary warning. Conveys totally the wrong message to both our opponents and supporters.

To quote an old saying "You don't wash your dirty laundry in public". Can you imagine David Silva, orJordan Henderson making similar remarks about their clubs ? . They would probably be fined internally and given a disciplinary warning. Conveys totally the wrong message to both our opponents and supporters.
Coming from the top down, isn't it? Poch and Lloris are as good as lovers.

We can only wonder what or why he has come out with this but maybe he is revealing to the wider audience part of the problem, it definitely isn't a happy camp anymore even poch is arsey these days all is not good along with football and the results.

We can only wonder what or why he has come out with this but maybe he is revealing to the wider audience part of the problem, it definitely isn't a happy camp anymore even poch is arsey these days all is not good along with football and the results.
I agree it probably isn't a happy camp at the moment but why share the club's internal problems with the world ?. What possible benefit is making such a statement to team morale or supporter's confidence. I really do try and look on the bright side and believe things will pick up after the break. I also believe our league position after the Liverpool game will either confirm or refute this optimism. I'm a 'pint half full' type of guy normally, I do not however need Hugo snatching the glass from my hand and smashing it in front of a crowd of people.
Sorry but reading this sort of thing really incenses me..... Why not....
"We realise the result against Newcastle was disappointing for our fans but we have addressed the issues and we intend coming out all guns blazing as soon as the International break ends !"
Say something positive for us to read and cause our opponents concern instead for fuck's sake....

Monday, June 03, 2019 - 05:45 AM

“I don’t think Tottenham is the type of club to challenge for the Champions League each season, we have to be honest about that.

“In the past three years we have shown a lot of improvement and development in the right direction in this competition, and with the new stadium, it will bring pressure and confidence for the team, the fans, the club.

"There is a lot to learn from this defeat and the whole campaign, for the future, and now it is up to us to get back to work and come back stronger next season.”

“It is difficult to compare both projects,” said Lloris when asked about Liverpool’s greater financial muscle.“

"There is one club who sets out to win every competition in which they play, and that is not the case with Tottenham. We try to stick with the philosophy of the board, manager, and the club.

"We look to improve every season and we have shown improvements year after year, so we now cannot throw everything in the bin after a Champions League final defeat.

"It’s been a big step for the club and the only thing we can look to do is come back stronger next season."

What those next steps might be, it is, as Lloris says: “too early to talk about”.

I agree it probably isn't a happy camp at the moment but why share the club's internal problems with the world ?. What possible benefit is making such a statement to team morale or supporter's confidence. I really do try and look on the bright side and believe things will pick up after the break. I also believe our league position after the Liverpool game will either confirm or refute this optimism. I'm a 'pint half full' type of guy normally, I do not however need Hugo snatching the glass from my hand and smashing it in front of a crowd of people.
Sorry but reading this sort of thing really incenses me..... Why not....
"We realise the result against Newcastle was disappointing for our fans but we have addressed the issues and we intend coming out all guns blazing as soon as the International break ends !"
Say something positive for us to read and cause our opponents concern instead for fuck's sake....
I get what your saying just keep it in house however as for the Liverpool game I feel our arses are going to get handed to us.

I get what your saying just keep it in house however as for the Liverpool game I feel our arses are going to get handed to us.
Shhhhh don't tell everybody 😎. We certainly haven't helped the situation for that match by this latest outburst from our Captain. However, as I said, if we can string together some really impressive and conclusive wins between now and Oct 27th then we may just surprise everyone (myself included) when we visit Anfield. Keep the faith brother !
:coys:

This is the first time since Poch arrived here that I have become alarmed by his man management. Having favourites was OK when results were good, but when you start to fall out with some of those favourites, and fail to keep those favourites motivated because they will play no matter what, then throw in his lousy eye for a player, I think you get a lot of the ingredients for what we are seeing-a demotivated team which no longer believes.

So much negativity. There’s little to zero fun around the club and specially the forum now. I remembers four years ago when we were getting battered by stoke and would have better mood in here than now after coming second in the biggest club competition

Not going to be the most popular view but I think Winks is a little overrated. Just a very small amount.
I like the guy, and want him to get good minutes every week.....but building a midfield around him I’m not convinced.

What he gives us is drive, passion, forward play and determination and for me that is exactly what we need.

But I just feel that he’s not going to be the guy that controls a midfield.
Whether it’s Winks and Ndombele, or Ndombele and Sissoko the way forward, I don’t know, but one things for sure, I never, ever want to see him removed from the middle of the pitch for Dele Alli.
You might be right but I would say "expectations are too high" rather than overrated. Here's a young English guy who plays like a Spaniard. "My little Iniesta". In his position his is capable of determining what gear we are playing in, the best midfields are a machine with 3 cogs. The destroyer, the artist and the grease monkey. Winks is a grease monkey - arguably the most important cog in the machine that ties it all together. I will never expect him to take a game by the scruff of the neck single handedly but all bias aside, I don't see a better English player who is capable of greasing the wheels and making the unit function better than the sum of their parts.

I am assuming that our players and manager are obliged to speak to the press, and that they have all had media training! What happened to the usual cliches and platitudes that people used to spout? It seems that everything is spun to meet the media's agenda, just don't give them the ammunition!!

I think one of the problems is having Hugo as your captain. Dude stops shots, but he doesn't bring a whole lot of confidence to the backline when under pressure and has publicly looked naive.

It could be that we don't have a natural leader our ranks, but someone else needs to be grabbing the reigns and lighting a fire within the team.

I would almost call Son into action. He is rarely a negative Nancy and plays with desire, something the fans see and love.

Hugo saying Pool and City have a more competitive edge is sad to hear. We should have just as much desire to win. That is a top down attribute. So clearly Poch is coming into the season already defeated.

I really should have said who the other cogs are ( in a perfect world):
Destroyer - NDombele
Artist - Lo Celso

Not Poch's formation, but I was always the better man for the job.

I think one of the problems is having Hugo as your captain. Dude stops shots, but he doesn't bring a whole lot of confidence to the backline when under pressure and has publicly looked naive.

It could be that we don't have a natural leader our ranks, but someone else needs to be grabbing the reigns and lighting a fire within the team.

I would almost call Son into action. He is rarely a negative Nancy and plays with desire, something the fans see and love.
A lot of us have been saying the same for years now, and last year after his drunk driving, that was the perfect reason to strip him of the captaincy. Harry or Jan were a much better bet. Not so sure who can do the job now, TBH.

Hugo saying Pool and City have a more competitive edge is sad to hear. We should have just as much desire to win. That is a top down attribute. So clearly Poch is coming into the season already defeated.
He could've said (what everybody knows): City are miles ahead of us and it's almost impossible to finish above them this season, but something else is clearly bothering him now he questions the desire.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom