What do you want from a Captain

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

james-kirk-main.jpg

Nailed it

someone called Tiberius

The thread title was what do I want from a Captain...I gave my definition of the qualities I felt the position required. I then gave my opinion that Hugo wasn't the guy for me. I don't have to justify that opinion to you or anybody, neither do I have to base it on concrete facts, it's simply my viewpoint. If you don't share it then fine, you go your way and I'll go mine and we shall agree to differ. Nobody sees what goes on inside the club but I certainly don't see anything like a team spirit or synergy at the moment from the squad. That comes under the responsibility of the manager and team captain as far as I'm concerned and I think both need changing. My opinion and not one that's up for debate.
That's all absolutely fine mate, I've no trouble with that. I do have trouble with anyone claiming to know what actually is going on, this is how I took your post, I'm sorry if I got that wrong.

You made a list of what you want from a Captain, which is absolutely fine but the reason to list those traits was designed to slate the current Captain (you use the attributes as a measure) and promote a new one. In both cases you can't prove that the list of functions and therefore measures are being performed, nor that the one you want to be promoted as Captain actually performed them also at the weekend, in fact, Kane by your measures performed worse as he didn't front up after the game as Lloris always does.

First and foremost a Spurs man through and through, doesn’t necessarily have to be born Spurs but understands it’s a privilege to play for this club. Someone who will go on an interview and call out a performance for what it is and not make excuses....

Ps: does Hugo actually ever do post match interviews?

Yes... Loads.

It this level the only difference between the captain and the rest is that he makes sure we kick at the south stand in the second half, if possible. Ain't cricket or egg chasing, they dont make tactical decisions, and they shouldn't need someone to give them the hurry up. IMO
Finally some sense. Like you said in cricket, the captain sets out the field and all. But in football the manager makes al those decisions. But more importantly, someone whining and shouting at you is not going to make you play better if you are already not playing well. In fact a shouty captain will make things worse than they are.

What do we want or indeed need, from a Captain, any Captain.

Following on from the BM match, although IMO Hugo wasn't at fault for the goals, his attitude towards the other players wasn't good enough.
In the Hugo thread people were, quite rightly, criticising him for not being more passionate and bollocking the defenders. Some people want Harry to be Captain but he doesn't bollock people either, although he does put everything on the line.

That being said I don't want this to become a "Who should be Captain" discussion but, as the title says, What do you want from a Captain.

I'm old school and want a shouty, bollocking, organising Captain.

Although, in the modern game a Captain is mostly an "honourary" title and doesn't affect how the game plays out (with regards to tactics)

So what do we think ?

The captain must embody everything but should also represent the best qualities of a team.

The heart and soul. The strength. The message carrier.

It ain't Lloris that's for sure.

At least not in my opinion.

Seriously how the fuck do you know Hugo doesn't do all that and more? Are you at the training ground, are you at their homes? Are you in the dressing room? (Have you ever been on a football pitch in front thousands of fans, if you have then you will know you can't hear the person standing next to you, let alone someone 15 feet away? But I suppose you love managers that bounce on the touchline too, because this is really, really important apparently, must do clappy things, must beat chest, must puff out chest in an exaggerated fashion because it shows you care, it shows that you have passun, it can be used on social media loads of times as examples of strong leadership LOL!!)

You don't seem to be aware that Lloris and Kane were voted Captain and Vice-Captain by their teammates along with the clubs management.

Now seeing as you know what goes on behind closed doors, please give me the examples of Kane doing this on Sat. He took the armband on 3 mins, so had in effect the entire game to demonstrate these things that you have said "now trust me" so time to show why we should "trust you" please nice and slowly break it down what did he do? How did we lose 0-3 to Brighton with Captain marvel wearing the armband? What was his speech at half-time? Who did he berate when the 2nd went in & then the third went in? Who did he put his arm around and encourage them, gave them confidence? When he fronted up in the press afterwards what did he say?

For the record: I think Kane is a good leader as I do Lloris and as I do with other players in the squad, not based on some hypothetical job description and equally worse subjective and frankly bullshit analysis of whether it's actually being performed or not based on nothing than guesswork.
Very true, all guesswork and opinion...never said otherwise. No I don't want a 'bouncy' manager, just a new one will do.

I think the club should only consider replacing Pochettino if we're really, really struggling in the league.

But if a change was made, I would like to see Ancelotti take over.

I don't mind so much if our captain doesn't speak to the media. Maybe we need to create a siege mentality like Ferguson did at United.

Something needs to change, I don't agree that after a certain number of years players go stale at a club (which is what some pundits are saying) but maybe there are some players who have no intention being there next year and it's affecting their performances.

I gave my view on what Pochettino should do about that in my very first post.
Nothing needs to change regarding a Captian though, that's the only point I will make consistently on this. I don't believe there is one player that makes a difference, you should be aiming to have many leaders within the group and I think we have this.

Any changes to be made are on the playing personnel, I do believe players get stale and/or just don't have the legs to press if they have been doing it in a high pressing team for long periods. The best example of this is Dembele, he physically couldn't do what he was asked to do, when he did it broke him and he started to pick-up injuries and/or get fatigued etc.. but this has nothing to do with Captains.

Nothing needs to change regarding a Captian though, that's the only point I will make consistently on this. I don't believe there is one player that makes a difference, you should be aiming to have many leaders within the group and I think we have this.

Any changes to be made are on the playing personnel, I do believe players get stale and/or just don't have the legs to press if they have been doing it in a high pressing team for long periods. The best example of this is Dembele, he physically couldn't do what he was asked to do, when he did it broke him and he started to pick-up injuries and/or get fatigued etc.. but this has nothing to do with Captains.

Don't you think a goalkeeping captain is at disadvantage from being more isolated from the rest of the players?

Back
Top Bottom