What do you want from a Captain

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What do we want or indeed need, from a Captain, any Captain.

Following on from the BM match, although IMO Hugo wasn't at fault for the goals, his attitude towards the other players wasn't good enough.
In the Hugo thread people were, quite rightly, criticising him for not being more passionate and bollocking the defenders. Some people want Harry to be Captain but he doesn't bollock people either, although he does put everything on the line.

That being said I don't want this to become a "Who should be Captain" discussion but, as the title says, What do you want from a Captain.

I'm old school and want a shouty, bollocking, organising Captain.

Although, in the modern game a Captain is mostly an "honourary" title and doesn't affect how the game plays out (with regards to tactics)

So what do we think ?

First and foremost, a guy who plays for the badge. If he's a shouty bastard, Roy Keane type, it's even better, but, playing for the badge is most important to me. Also, he has to be a leader on the dressing room. Even if a captain doesn't talk alot, his words should be listened by everyone. This is why I'm not that critical of Hugos captaincy, and I would like the 2 Harrys to take over after him (until 2017, I thought Jan would be a brilliant option to be a captain, but I believe that Kane and Winks are more Tottenham than him)

A big hairy arsed central defender that takes no prisoners and will run through brick walls for the cause of Tottenham Hotspur! End of.........
EEF6-CEB9-3009-463-E-B7-A9-D1303144-DF68.jpg

No fucking about.

Last edited:
It this level the only difference between the captain and the rest is that he makes sure we kick at the south stand in the second half, if possible. Ain't cricket or egg chasing, they dont make tactical decisions, and they shouldn't need someone to give them the hurry up. IMO

First and foremost a Spurs man through and through, doesn’t necessarily have to be born Spurs but understands it’s a privilege to play for this club. Someone who will go on an interview and call out a performance for what it is and not make excuses....

Ps: does Hugo actually ever do post match interviews?

First and foremost a Spurs man through and through, doesn’t necessarily have to be born Spurs but understands it’s a privilege to play for this club. Someone who will go on an interview and call out a performance for what it is and not make excuses....

Ps: does Hugo actually ever do post match interviews?

Yes... Loads.

It this level the only difference between the captain and the rest is that he makes sure we kick at the south stand in the second half, if possible. Ain't cricket or egg chasing, they dont make tactical decisions, and they shouldn't need someone to give them the hurry up. IMO
Finally some sense. Like you said in cricket, the captain sets out the field and all. But in football the manager makes al those decisions. But more importantly, someone whining and shouting at you is not going to make you play better if you are already not playing well. In fact a shouty captain will make things worse than they are.

Back
Top Bottom