What do you want from a Captain

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It this level the only difference between the captain and the rest is that he makes sure we kick at the south stand in the second half, if possible. Ain't cricket or egg chasing, they dont make tactical decisions, and they shouldn't need someone to give them the hurry up. IMO

During the week,
Someone that the players feel they can go to whenever they are having problems either within the football world or their personal lives. A person who will listen and support them but not just nurse them in any way. Someone who will be part of the team but also be able to keep a 'distance' from the others that signifies his position as Captain and thereby earns (not demands) their respect.
A liaison officer between players and manager. Somebody who can have a 'quiet word' with the boss and keep him up to date with the current dressing room atmosphere and hopefully prevent any brewing problems from developing.
Match Day
Somebody who leads by example, gives 100% effort and is constantly communicating with his team, encouraging, advising and if necessary berating. He will be either your worst critic or greatest admirer depending on your performance, and no-one will be spared or regarded as a favourite. A warrior who has the words Spurs running through him like a stick of rock. Somebody the squad members aspire to be and are proud to run onto the pitch with. A leader of men.
Half Time
Somebody who has grafted his balls off for 45 minutes and has every right to look a player in the eye and demand to know why he hasn't. The person who with a simple "Well done" can lift your spirits and make you feel like a king because 'he' said it to you. The person, who after the manager's talk, is the first to the dressing room door, eager to get back on the pitch and show the opposition what he is capable of. The players follow him out not because they have to but for the fact that he is their leader and they will run through brick walls for him.

Now trust me, that isn't Hugo and I don't blame him for it but we need a true Captain, in every sense of the word. The best we have at the moment is Harry but that does not mean in the future he should be the natural choice. True leaders tend to simple evolve (Anybody ever read The Admirable Crichton ?). Giving somebody an armband as a thank you or a 'please stay at the club' award will never work and can do more harm than good. It has to be earned and worn with pride. The manager should be able to see this character development and make the right choice and never,ever hold a 'players vote' to determine the Captain (Xhaka at the Woolwich...really ?? :thumbdown: :thumbdown:).

So they are big boots to fill and most importantly you have to truly want the job, and not just be given it.
So who do you see in the team as a natural born leader at the moment ? Or maybe that's what is missing and should be first on the January shopping list :thumbup:

Not necessarily "shouty", Ledley was a great example of leading by example, but my feeling is that Hugo is not imposing enough and goalies are too remote to make a difference. My Stevie was a great captain and from a very early age too. Think back then, he would be the manager on the pitch, the bond between him and Keith was a two way street of trust and support.
Different game now though, God forbid you dare shout a player these days, the poor diddums would be crying to their agents, social media or that nice Sun reporter who just wants to print your side of the story!
Sorry for the sarcasm but modern footballers do get on my wick sometimes - just do your job and earn your obscene wages every week.
Rant over.

Based on the current squad, it’s Kane all day long. While he may not be running after balls as frantically as he once was, as I reckon the manager has given him strict instructions not too based on his injury record, he is the natural leader of this team. Anytime a ref calls over a Spurs player, he’s there with them talking to him and calming him down as required. He’s as cool as cucumber with penalties which says a lot to his temperament and demeanour. Lastly, he is a true Spurs player who I believe will stay here for his whole career.

In the ideal world, I always felt the ideal position for a team captain is centre mid or centre back. From there they can dictate the game far more than the goalie, striker or wings and can communicate to more of the team then the fringe players. Kane won’t be shouting back at his defence and Lloris won’t be shouting front to the attackers but I guess that’s why they’re captain and vice captain, between them they can influence the whole field.

On a side note, I’d love a Roy Keane in our team right about now.

james-kirk-main.jpg

During the week,
Someone that the players feel they can go to whenever they are having problems either within the football world or their personal lives. A person who will listen and support them but not just nurse them in any way. Someone who will be part of the team but also be able to keep a 'distance' from the others that signifies his position as Captain and thereby earns (not demands) their respect.
A liaison officer between players and manager. Somebody who can have a 'quiet word' with the boss and keep him up to date with the current dressing room atmosphere and hopefully prevent any brewing problems from developing.
Match Day
Somebody who leads by example, gives 100% effort and is constantly communicating with his team, encouraging, advising and if necessary berating. He will be either your worst critic or greatest admirer depending on your performance, and no-one will be spared or regarded as a favourite. A warrior who has the words Spurs running through him like a stick of rock. Somebody the squad members aspire to be and are proud to run onto the pitch with. A leader of men.
Half Time
Somebody who has grafted his balls off for 45 minutes and has every right to look a player in the eye and demand to know why he hasn't. The person who with a simple "Well done" can lift your spirits and make you feel like a king because 'he' said it to you. The person, who after the manager's talk, is the first to the dressing room door, eager to get back on the pitch and show the opposition what he is capable of. The players follow him out not because they have to but for the fact that he is their leader and they will run through brick walls for him.

Now trust me, that isn't Hugo and I don't blame him for it but we need a true Captain, in every sense of the word. The best we have at the moment is Harry but that does not mean in the future he should be the natural choice. True leaders tend to simple evolve (Anybody ever read The Admirable Crichton ?). Giving somebody an armband as a thank you or a 'please stay at the club' award will never work and can do more harm than good. It has to be earned and worn with pride. The manager should be able to see this character development and make the right choice and never,ever hold a 'players vote' to determine the Captain (Xhaka at the Woolwich...really ?? :thumbdown: :thumbdown:).

So they are big boots to fill and most importantly you have to truly want the job, and not just be given it.
So who do you see in the team as a natural born leader at the moment ? Or maybe that's what is missing and should be first on the January shopping list :thumbup:

Christian Eriksen.

I think I want a captain who has loads of experience and has already captained his side in a cl final and captained his side winning a world cup. Going to be hard to find one of these.

But there has to be an actual reason, evidence of what you want or don't want, not guesswork. Outside of just guesswork, you've given nothing and the guy you want didn't show (based on the same basis you judge Lloris) anything too, in fact, worse, he didn't even front up to the cameras afterwards as Lloris does.
The thread title was what do I want from a Captain...I gave my definition of the qualities I felt the position required. I then gave my opinion that Hugo wasn't the guy for me. I don't have to justify that opinion to you or anybody, neither do I have to base it on concrete facts, it's simply my viewpoint. If you don't share it then fine, you go your way and I'll go mine and we shall agree to differ. Nobody sees what goes on inside the club but I certainly don't see anything like a team spirit or synergy at the moment from the squad. That comes under the responsibility of the manager and team captain as far as I'm concerned and I think both need changing. My opinion and not one that's up for debate.

First and foremost, a guy who plays for the badge. If he's a shouty bastard, Roy Keane type, it's even better, but, playing for the badge is most important to me. Also, he has to be a leader on the dressing room. Even if a captain doesn't talk alot, his words should be listened by everyone. This is why I'm not that critical of Hugos captaincy, and I would like the 2 Harrys to take over after him (until 2017, I thought Jan would be a brilliant option to be a captain, but I believe that Kane and Winks are more Tottenham than him)

A big hairy arsed central defender that takes no prisoners and will run through brick walls for the cause of Tottenham Hotspur! End of.........
EEF6-CEB9-3009-463-E-B7-A9-D1303144-DF68.jpg

No fucking about.

Last edited:
Someone who doesn't smirk like an evil jester when conceding 7 goals at home. For starters.

In reality a new captain won't fix it. Rather we need a new captaincy potential player in CB and one more in CM.

The captaincy itself belongs to Kane, none other.

Back
Top Bottom