What do you want from a Captain

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the club should only consider replacing Pochettino if we're really, really struggling in the league.

But if a change was made, I would like to see Ancelotti take over.

But there has to be an actual reason, evidence of what you want or don't want, not guesswork. Outside of just guesswork, you've given nothing and the guy you want didn't show (based on the same basis you judge Lloris) anything too, in fact, worse, he didn't even front up to the cameras afterwards as Lloris does.

I don't mind so much if our captain doesn't speak to the media. Maybe we need to create a siege mentality like Ferguson did at United.

Something needs to change, I don't agree that after a certain number of years players go stale at a club (which is what some pundits are saying) but maybe there are some players who have no intention being there next year and it's affecting their performances.

I gave my view on what Pochettino should do about that in my very first post.

I believe in captaincy and what a good captain can bring can make a difference, I think Harry Kane could improve us as captain, I also think captaincy has lost some of its importance in the modern era, marketability captaincy like Messi really annoy me.

I don't mind so much if our captain doesn't speak to the media. Maybe we need to create a siege mentality like Ferguson did at United.

Something needs to change, I don't agree that after a certain number of years players go stale at a club (which is what some pundits are saying) but maybe there are some players who have no intention being there next year and it's affecting their performances.

I gave my view on what Pochettino should do about that in my very first post.
Nothing needs to change regarding a Captian though, that's the only point I will make consistently on this. I don't believe there is one player that makes a difference, you should be aiming to have many leaders within the group and I think we have this.

Any changes to be made are on the playing personnel, I do believe players get stale and/or just don't have the legs to press if they have been doing it in a high pressing team for long periods. The best example of this is Dembele, he physically couldn't do what he was asked to do, when he did it broke him and he started to pick-up injuries and/or get fatigued etc.. but this has nothing to do with Captains.

Nothing needs to change regarding a Captian though, that's the only point I will make consistently on this. I don't believe there is one player that makes a difference, you should be aiming to have many leaders within the group and I think we have this.

Any changes to be made are on the playing personnel, I do believe players get stale and/or just don't have the legs to press if they have been doing it in a high pressing team for long periods. The best example of this is Dembele, he physically couldn't do what he was asked to do, when he did it broke him and he started to pick-up injuries and/or get fatigued etc.. but this has nothing to do with Captains.

Don't you think a goalkeeping captain is at disadvantage from being more isolated from the rest of the players?

Don't you think a goalkeeping captain is at disadvantage from being more isolated from the rest of the players?
Why? When you can't hear what being said 10ft away what's the difference?

The most important aspect(s) of a Club Captain is stuff done not on match days but back at Hotspur Way where the players spend 95% of their working time whilst under contract.

But there has to be an actual reason, evidence of what you want or don't want, not guesswork. Outside of just guesswork, you've given nothing and the guy you want didn't show (based on the same basis you judge Lloris) anything too, in fact, worse, he didn't even front up to the cameras afterwards as Lloris does.
The thread title was what do I want from a Captain...I gave my definition of the qualities I felt the position required. I then gave my opinion that Hugo wasn't the guy for me. I don't have to justify that opinion to you or anybody, neither do I have to base it on concrete facts, it's simply my viewpoint. If you don't share it then fine, you go your way and I'll go mine and we shall agree to differ. Nobody sees what goes on inside the club but I certainly don't see anything like a team spirit or synergy at the moment from the squad. That comes under the responsibility of the manager and team captain as far as I'm concerned and I think both need changing. My opinion and not one that's up for debate.

The thread title was what do I want from a Captain...I gave my definition of the qualities I felt the position required. I then gave my opinion that Hugo wasn't the guy for me. I don't have to justify that opinion to you or anybody, neither do I have to base it on concrete facts, it's simply my viewpoint. If you don't share it then fine, you go your way and I'll go mine and we shall agree to differ. Nobody sees what goes on inside the club but I certainly don't see anything like a team spirit or synergy at the moment from the squad. That comes under the responsibility of the manager and team captain as far as I'm concerned and I think both need changing. My opinion and not one that's up for debate.
That's all absolutely fine mate, I've no trouble with that. I do have trouble with anyone claiming to know what actually is going on, this is how I took your post, I'm sorry if I got that wrong.

You made a list of what you want from a Captain, which is absolutely fine but the reason to list those traits was designed to slate the current Captain (you use the attributes as a measure) and promote a new one. In both cases you can't prove that the list of functions and therefore measures are being performed, nor that the one you want to be promoted as Captain actually performed them also at the weekend, in fact, Kane by your measures performed worse as he didn't front up after the game as Lloris always does.

Why? When you can't hear what being said 10ft away what's the difference?

The most important aspect(s) of a Club Captain is stuff done not on match days but back at Hotspur Way where the players spend 95% of their working time whilst under contract.

Because an outfield player has the opportunity to approach a team-mate and speak to him.

Admittedly, a goalkeeper can do that but each he does the team will concede a goal.

Not necessarily "shouty", Ledley was a great example of leading by example, but my feeling is that Hugo is not imposing enough and goalies are too remote to make a difference. My Stevie was a great captain and from a very early age too. Think back then, he would be the manager on the pitch, the bond between him and Keith was a two way street of trust and support.
Different game now though, God forbid you dare shout a player these days, the poor diddums would be crying to their agents, social media or that nice Sun reporter who just wants to print your side of the story!
Sorry for the sarcasm but modern footballers do get on my wick sometimes - just do your job and earn your obscene wages every week.
Rant over.

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM A CAPTAIN...?

Both arms fully functioning is always a good start.... :llorishuh:

In the modern game, a Captain is almost a nominal title.... a TRUE Captain in the old sense of the word would shout, herrange, encourage and motivate, but most of all, COMMAND RESPECT!

Gary Mabbutt is another good example of a 'quiet Captain' ...like Ledley and Mrs. P's husband, he wasn't 'shouty' but didn't need to be.
Lloris and Kane being 'quiet' isn't always a bad thing, but they need to be able to spot problems on the pitch, almost BEFORE they happen... and if they can't do that, then they need to command enough authority to do something about it WHEN it does happen!

I honestly thought Dier would be our long term Captain, based on his first few seasons with us... but look how that's turned out!

Jan or Toby would be my preferred choice, but even they seem to have missed the boat a bit on The Captain's duty... it's all they can do to concentrate on defending atm, without the added burden of Captaining the team!

Back
Top Bottom