West Ham United VS Tottenham Hotspur - Wednesday 31th August, London Stadium 19:45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

VAR is and never ever be used properly in this country because:
A. The refs didnt want it in the first place so will do there best (VAR refs) to fuck it up.
B. It can now be used to justify wrong decisions on the pitch
C. What's stopping someone from stockley park making the wrong decision for personal gain.
My understanding is that, with the exception of offsides and whether or not a foul was committed inside or outside the penalty area, VAR should only be used when a 'clear and obvious' error has been made by the on-field officials.

If it takes 5 minutes of frame-by-frame reviews from a multitude of camera angles to determine whether a ball hits an arm directly or not, then it's not a 'clear an obvious' error and shouldn't be overturned.

My understanding is that, with the exception of offsides and whether or not a foul was committed inside or outside the penalty area, VAR should only be used when a 'clear and obvious' error has been made by the on-field officials.

If it takes 5 minutes of frame-by-frame reviews from a multitude of camera angles to determine whether a ball hits an arm directly or not, then it's not a 'clear an obvious' error and shouldn't be overturned.
Great post - totally agree

It’s been 5 games

We are unbeaten and have won every game apart from 2 tough away games that we regularly lose, which we drew

The melting in here is crazy sometimes
Winks has gone, the air raid siren whiners need scapegoats and witches to pitchfork and burn.
But if you point out what a bunch of whining bitches they are, they start lecturing you on high standards and how you don't understand modern football like they do.
Wait until we lose.

While i agree, his passing is a huge let down again. Need our centre backs to be able to step forward but he cant
The thing is the spammers targeted Sanchez when he had the ball because like everyone else , they know distribution is the weakest part of his game .When he plays other teams will do exactly the same . Romero can’t return quick enough

Agreed but I wouldn’t have wanted to throw Lenglet into that London Derby

The big issue we have is our CB’s and wing backs aren’t of the required standard and Conte’s system is built on it.

Emerson is a good player and a good right back but he is not a wing back. Spence has the tools but is green at the moment. Perisic obviously is perfect.

Romero is elite in both defence and on the ball but all the rest of our defenders have weaknesses. In an ideal world we have:

Hakimi, Romero, Peak Toby, Peak Verts, Perisic

The would fix us as we could then play through teams from the back which is the hallmark of a Conte team. Dier, Davies, Sanchez and Emerson are good players but need to be upgraded.

Exactly - should be one VAR every 5 or so games. Complete obvious fuck ups only

This.

You can include Lloris too, just wanting to calm the game down all the time.
The move starts with them, they set the tone. If they take an age the intensity of the move is slow and easy to defend.

Seriously pissed off with the intensity we played the game at. If we had upped the tempo the 3 points were there for us.

West ham are shit at the moment, we gave them confidence by handing the initiative to them. They started so timid, the VAR call and us pissing about at the back gave them the confidence to press and play with more intensity.
Even when Dier had the ball in the very last seconds of injury time with no pressure he just literally walked toward the half way line for 5 seconds before passing. GET THE BALL IN THE FUCKING BOX! Frustrating.

The big issue we have is our CB’s and wing backs aren’t of the required standard and Conte’s system is built on it.

Emerson is a good player and a good right back but he is not a wing back. Spence has the tools but is green at the moment. Perisic obviously is perfect.

Romero is elite in both defence and on the ball but all the rest of our defenders have weaknesses. In an ideal world we have:

Hakimi, Romero, Peak Toby, Peak Verts, Perisic

The would fix us as we could then play through teams from the back which is the hallmark of a Conte team. Dier, Davies, Sanchez and Emerson are good players but need to be upgraded.
I think the back 3 is ok with Romero. He makes the others play better IMO.

Not sorting RWB is actually a joke, unless they are aligned on putting Spence in shortly

It's a strange time and feeling at the moment.

We've got one of the world's best managers, we're on our best Premier League start - including playing Chelscum and Spam away - since the 60s. We've had a great window strengthening areas we need to. Yet the football is crap and everyone's miserable. Yet, the football is crap and we feel like we keep inexplicably fluking results. There just seems to be a cloud over the place. Even Conte doesn't seem to have his usual swagger and bravado.

Virtually every other club in the league would swap places with us right now. However i'm dreading once we stop pulling results out of nowhere.

I sort of feel we're a club that's never designed to be happy. Even if we won the league, we'd moan we only did it by 1 point and loads of dodgy ref decisions
Last night felt like a bit of a loss but we're doing ok. The more i think about it weve been away to a newly promoted team with bounce we won.
Away to 2 teams who's main aim is to beat us every year. We drew both.
Home to 2 teams we lost to at home last year we won.
Yes we're not playing flowing attacking football but i think we'll start to produce better performances.
Lets not forget the world cup is going to burn out players. We go full steam now our players will be burnt out by feb.
Although i agree we need to be making substitutions earlier

I think the back 3 is ok with Romero. He makes the others play better IMO.

Not sorting RWB is actually a joke, unless they are aligned on putting Spence in shortly

Spence is something special I have to admit watching him quite a bit last season how he took Woolwich and Leicester apart. He is ultra quick, strong, great dribbling, excellent control, can cross a ball, works hard in both attack and defence. He is blessed with talent way more than Emerson or Doherty.

All the tools to be a James or Hakimi level player but he is so green at this level, can Conte trust him positionally yet and if not when, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year? Also hard to know mentally yet if he will consistently use his talents.

A lot depends on him and for that matter Lenglet using their talent and stepping up.

We really need to replace Royal in the starting XI.

He should be a late game sub if we are trying to close a game out. His defensive work is fine but his lack of attacking ability completely unbalances the entire team

He should be a late game sub if we are trying to close a game out. His defensive work is fine but his lack of attacking ability completely unbalances the entire team

Also need at least one of Romero or Lenglet in, we have to have at least one ball playing CB.

It's not specifically him. It's a culmination of Lloris - Sanchez - Royal and each have shown their individual strengths. BUT specifically, when we are in possession these three are a weakness. West Ham shut down our left flank last night by not allowing the ball to get out to Davies/Perisic when we played out from the back. They allowed us to build-up from our right flank, the issue would exist if we played Doherty too (who is far worse than Royal in our build-up phase).

Again, we have to look to Conte on this. Why hasn't he changed/tweaked things? Why doesn't he make changes from the bench? Go to a 3-5-2?

The World knows our starting 11, how they will play and how to shut it down.

It's not specifically him. It's a culmination of Lloris - Sanchez - Royal and each have shown their individual strengths. BUT specifically, when we are in possession these three are a weakness. West Ham shut down our left flank last night by not allowing the ball to get out to Davies/Perisic when we played out from the back. They allowed us to build-up from our right flank, the issue would exist if we played Doherty too (who is far worse than Royal in our build-up phase).

Again, we have to look to Conte on this. Why hasn't he changed/tweaked things? Why doesn't he make changes from the bench? Go to a 3-5-2?

The World knows our starting 11, how they will play and how to shut it down.
Some of this has to be pride. Like, he is so confident in his system that he doesn't want to make changes unless he ABSOLUTELY has to.

It's a strange time and feeling at the moment.

We've got one of the world's best managers, we're on our best league start - including playing Chelscum and Spam away - since the 60s. We've had a great window strengthening areas we need to. Yet the football is crap and everyone's miserable. We feel like we keep inexplicably fluking results. There just seems to be a cloud over the place. Even Conte doesn't seem to have his usual swagger and bravado.

Virtually every other club in the league would swap places with us right now. However i'm dreading once we stop pulling results out of nowhere.

I sort of feel we're a club that's never designed to be happy. Even if we won the league, we'd moan we only did it by 1 point and loads of dodgy ref decisions
Your last sentence is exactly it. The football isn’t bad. You and your fellow Spurs “fans” are miserable because you guys are just miserable people. Go support City or something.

I really don't understand why people are moaning about the overturned penalty.

The rules are crystal clear, if the ball comes off your body onto your arm it isn't a penalty. It took a while to determine that was what had happened but once it was clear, the decision had to be reversed.

Unlucky for us but them's the breaks. Had it been the other way round every last one of us would have been screaming that it hit our defender's face first.
Did that change before or after the CL Final against Liverpool?

Back
Top Bottom