We: The Yid Army

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Still find it bizzare when I go to Israel and see Chelsea flags. If only they knew...
I was there last Feb and surprised how little presence or relevance Spurs had .
Talking to a bunch of very friendly 19 years ish jewish lads kicking a ball around , their families originally from Iran, Algeria and Eastern Europe had no knowledge of us and all supported Madrid. They all wanted to be identified with winners not cultural bonds , if there are any really. This was at Tiberius on the sea of Galilee .
The odd Sports bar l saw in Tel Aviv nothing there . Many recent arrivals from Russia have no links to anything in Western Europe.
AS from a Christian heritage it was hard maybe to break down barriers.

Talking to a bunch of very friendly 19 years ish jewish lads kicking a ball around , their families originally from Iran, Algeria and Eastern Europe had no knowledge of us and all supported Madrid. They all wanted to be identified with winners not cultural bonds , if there are any really. This was at Tiberius on the sea of Galilee .
The odd Sports bar l saw in Tel Aviv nothing there . Many recent arrivals from Russia have no links to anything in Western Europe.

Ye I diddnt notice us having much of a presence. Girl working in our hostel was a manu fan but said she kinda supported us because "we're the yid army" ha.

Ye I diddnt notice us having much of a presence. Girl working in our hostel was a manu fan but said she kinda supported us because "we're the yid army" ha.
I went to Jericho in the Palestinian controlled area and while munching a falafel and having a beer was surprised the Arabs new more about us than any Jews l met .
I was staying in Jaffa for a week and had dinner at a couple of Christian Arab houses. The greatest hospitality and kindness l have ever experienced. They were very well educated and in Israel are the most prosperous community . They are torn between their loyalty to the Jewish state for their success as a minority but always will be Arabs even if not Muslims . They were fascinated by English football.

What cultural bond is that? Do we sell platzels at half time? Slap mizuzahs on the stadium doorways? Shut down for Rosh Hashaneh? The only link is the once upon a time we were popular with Jewish football goers when there were a lot of Jewish Londoners. That was decades ago. Now actual Jewish football fans are a minority and plenty, sadly, support the scum as well. The idea of us being a Jewish club is mostly driven now by the fact that our owners and chairman are Jewish and by mostly gentile fans who have appropriated the identity, and the expression "yid", for themselves. For this reason I don't see why young Jews abroad should be drawn to us (or Ajax for that matter). It's also one of the reasons why I get a bit embarrassed when gentiles fly the Israeli flag at games as it neither represents the club or it's remaining Jewish fans.

Also to add to that. I heard a young lad sing "who the fuck is Palestine" in the torch before the Chelsea semi. Felt like giving him a slap but he was off his trolly and his mates were just ignoring him lol.

What cultural bond is that? Do we sell platzels at half time? Slap mizuzahs on the stadium doorways? Shut down for Rosh Hashaneh? The only link is the once upon a time we were popular with Jewish football goers when there were a lot of Jewish Londoners. That was decades ago. Now actual Jewish football fans are a minority and plenty, sadly, support the scum as well. The idea of us being a Jewish club is mostly driven now by the fact that our owners and chairman are Jewish and by mostly gentile fans who have appropriated the identity, and the expression "yid", for themselves. For this reason I don't see why young Jews abroad should be drawn to us (or Ajax for that matter). It's also one of the reasons why I get a bit embarrassed when gentiles fly the Israeli flag at games as it neither represents the club or it's remaining Jewish fans.
When in West Africa every second boy playing football had a second rate Arse shirt on , only an observation.
I agree with you and understand somewhat what your saying. I couldn't care less with our supposed Jewish links one way or another . Once again its only an observation and l state the supposedly bond as real or not .
I don't use the term Yid , or fly the Star of David as l agree it is an over exaggeration of any real cultural link to the Jewish community of London. I sit in the middle as the David Badilles of the world can knock but do little or criticise their own house of hate.
I think there are no answers but it's nice to be liked .

contradiction
kɒntrəˈdɪkʃ(ə)n/
noun
  1. a combination of statements, ideas, or features which are opposed to one another. "the proposed new system suffers from a set of internal contradictions"
    • a situation in which inconsistent elements are present.
      "the paradox of using force to overcome force is a real contradiction"
    • the statement of a position opposite to one already made. eg:
      There's a young hasidic jew who goes into the Yucatan pub in Stoke Newington to watch Chelsea games.

I remember my first game (West Stand) they were selling Bagels - didn't see that in many other grounds. Not in PLU though.

I remember my first game (West Stand) they were selling Bagels - didn't see that in many other grounds. Not in PLU though.
Bagels (or biegels as must London Jews used to know them) are hardly Jewish culture these days. They're pretty mainstream.

That said, I miss those bagels. I likes the, you guessed it, smoked salmon and cream cheese one. It's what inspired my username!

I agree. When I started going I was a kid, of 11. You don't see many kids unaccompanied at games anymore.
It's totally different.
The season in Div 2 was great. When we got relegated there was just as much passion from the fans as at the finale.
Yet I do remember Burkinshaw urging us to get behind the team in the programme for Everton at home, we drew 3-3.
It wasn't all good. We were treated badly with bad facilities and it was sometimes dangerous, crushes etc.
It all coincided with all seaters as well as the PL.
Seats were for those who wanted to sit and watch.
Terraces were for those who wanted to stand, sing and fuck about.
Used to be £1.50 to stand which is about £7 today.
Now it's roughly £30 for the cheapest ticket.

For me safe standing is the only way. It also has to be cheaper to stand. That's the point. Sell 2/3 as ST for £100 the rest to members at £10 a pop. Make it clear these will be not be family friendly areas.

Even if you got 5,000 like minded in the bottom third of the new south stand safe standing the atmosphere would be 10x better.

I also think its as important to ensure mates can sit together - just from 1882 you see how 30-40 people on the same wave length sitting in the same place can generate atmosphere.

My solution to this while also understanding the clubs reluctance to have paying on the day on the door. Have 300-400 tickets behind the goal on sale on the door. Can only be bought by members and on debit cards (cards match registered member) - then allocated seats on the ticket. Groups will be able to go from the pub to the ground and will also encourage people to get in and create an atmosphere early. Any rules on pre-game drinking on the stand (no drinking 20 minutes before KO)

I was only joking but I did read platzels as pretzels so that was where I was coming from... On a side note just picked a dozen biegels from Brick Lane if anyone wants any.
I prefer their platzels funnily enough (the onion ones, yum!). Am a regular visitor there, mainly because of the prices and great quality.

I also think its as important to ensure mates can sit together - just from 1882 you see how 30-40 people on the same wave length sitting in the same place can generate atmosphere.

My solution to this while also understanding the clubs reluctance to have paying on the day on the door. Have 300-400 tickets behind the goal on sale on the door. Can only be bought by members and on debit cards (cards match registered member) - then allocated seats on the ticket. Groups will be able to go from the pub to the ground and will also encourage people to get in and create an atmosphere early. Any rules on pre-game drinking on the stand (no drinking 20 minutes before KO)
How are you going to ensure those 300-400 tickets won't be bought by people simply looking for a ticket?

Bagels (or biegels as must London Jews used to know them) are hardly Jewish culture these days. They're pretty mainstream.

That said, I miss those bagels. I likes the, you guessed it, smoked salmon and cream cheese one. It's what inspired my username!
There was a bagel shop in Club Wembley for the Burnley game, the smoked salmon and cream cheese was delicious. The shop wasn't there for Dortmund though, at least, I couldn't find it (I'd had a beer or two so could easily have missed it). I will look out for it again tomorrow.

Can I ask not being from London my self but obviously knowing the yid/Jew link with Tottenham does local Jewish organisations associate with the club? Kids clubs,youth organisations ect ect being a Jewish area and the club supporting it in different ways redevelopment and investment are they included? Or do they do their own thing

Can I ask not being from London my self but obviously knowing the yid/Jew link with Tottenham does local Jewish organisations associate with the club? Kids clubs,youth organisations ect ect being a Jewish area and the club supporting it in different ways redevelopment and investment are they included? Or do they do their own thing
Tottenham is not a Jewish area. The only real Jewish areas these days are probably Golders Green, Stamford Hill and in and around Barnet. Tottenham is now mostly black, eastern European and white.

Back
Top Bottom