We: The Yid Army

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

RockTrumpet said:
Anyone else have 'Land of Hope and Glory' in their head in the background to that?
Flav should record this and put that in the background then sling it on YouTube! :niko:

this is why im gutted i couldnt make it up, not so much for me, i remember away games from the 70's and 80's but more for my son, he's 10 and he would have sen first hand what i often talk about.

There is this theory that, because of our recent success, a new type of "fan" has been infecting White Hart Lane - a cardboard fan with lots of cash.

I'm not so sure.

I guess there is some evidence of this, but whether or not it's to the extent that it effects the atmosphere amongst a crowd of 30,000 is questionable.

Everyone can see the noise reduction coincides with our team's upturn in fortunes but that does not necessarily equal more plastic fans. I wonder if it is a bit more simple than that and we, simply, have more on the line just now.

It's easy to sing on regardless if we are mid-table, neither here-nor-there. If we lose as many as we win and we don't really compete for honours nor fight against relegation then our pride comes through in our voice.

Now though, there's real tension about the place, and the knock-on effect of that tension is we all clam up. it's a natural response. in 2009-10 we were doing better than we ever thought, so we were excited, and we got the bonus at the end of the season of qualifying for the UCL. Then we had a taste of that & we wanted more.

in 2010-11 we enjoyed the UCL, and our nights in Europe (where you could easily argue were the nights most exposed to cash-saturated, wannabe fans) had the best atmospheres at the Lane by far. In the League though, we were struggling and we could all see UCL qualification for the following season was touch-and-go.

We all held our collective breath in the League as we ran it close but, in Europe where we could all just let go and enjoy the experience, we all sang loud and proud even when we saw ourselves get smashed 5 nil on agg by Real Madrid in the QF.

It's similar this season. We're playing our best football for years & we're pushing near the top of the league again, but we all know Spurs too well and we all know that it can quickly and easily slip away from us. We all want to be back in the UCL and seeing our beloved club back dining at the top table, and that brings more tension.

What we need to be able to do is manifest that tension in pure noise. I guarantee that screaming at the top of your lungs is a great release, but just as a song or chant can be contagious and once started it can quickly reverberate around the stadium, so can the quiet tension that grips one corner of the Lane and spreads all over.

Who knows really, it's just a theory

We need a fukkin cliff!

I sort of agree to an extent Bass, because I've been at games where the atmosphere has been shit and I've thought first-hand "it feels tense, that's why people aren't making as much atmosphere".

BUT, I've seen clubs fighting against oblivion, not even just relegation, but literally their club going out of business altogether, and their fans have made some of the best atmospheres I've ever witnessed in person. Now, if your club's very existence doesn't make you tense, I don't know what will. But still they made the noise.

Yet, when the tension happens to coincide with a team fighting for honours at the top of the Premier League, all of a sudden that tension stops people from making atmosphere. Seems too coincidental for me. I think if you can't make noise when you're playing Wigan or not winning 4-0 against Sunderland then you need to sort your shit out. That or just admit you aren't a noisy type supporter.

Blanchflower said:
I'm not sure football has changed as much as you think it has......it's natural to remember things in the past more fondly and forget some of the bad things

I've had this argument before. I find it immensely patronising.

It is completely different. The fact that many can't afford to support their team is testament to that.

its not patronising, years ago, if you wanted to go to a game, with your mates, you could, and did. now days its a mare getting tickets and being able to afford them. i used to go most away games with the same people, often 2 coach loads and i knew 90% of the people on them. massive sing songs in varied pubs and clubs around the country, especially miners clubs up north. with the loyalty points and prices, its much harder to get that atmosphere these days, if it wasnt, there probably wouldnt have been a 'spurs ultras' .

Back
Top Bottom