We: The Yid Army

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've had this argument before. I find it immensely patronising.

It is completely different. The fact that many can't afford to support their team is testament to that.
I agree. When I started going I was a kid, of 11. You don't see many kids unaccompanied at games anymore.
It's totally different.
The season in Div 2 was great. When we got relegated there was just as much passion from the fans as at the finale.
Yet I do remember Burkinshaw urging us to get behind the team in the programme for Everton at home, we drew 3-3.
It wasn't all good. We were treated badly with bad facilities and it was sometimes dangerous, crushes etc.
It all coincided with all seaters as well as the PL.
Seats were for those who wanted to sit and watch.
Terraces were for those who wanted to stand, sing and fuck about.
Used to be £1.50 to stand which is about £7 today.
Now it's roughly £30 for the cheapest ticket.

For me safe standing is the only way. It also has to be cheaper to stand. That's the point. Sell 2/3 as ST for £100 the rest to members at £10 a pop. Make it clear these will be not be family friendly areas.

Even if you got 5,000 like minded in the bottom third of the new south stand safe standing the atmosphere would be 10x better.

I went to Jericho in the Palestinian controlled area and while munching a falafel and having a beer was surprised the Arabs new more about us than any Jews l met .
I was staying in Jaffa for a week and had dinner at a couple of Christian Arab houses. The greatest hospitality and kindness l have ever experienced. They were very well educated and in Israel are the most prosperous community . They are torn between their loyalty to the Jewish state for their success as a minority but always will be Arabs even if not Muslims . They were fascinated by English football.

Nice! I worked not far from Haifa on an ngo project and travelled around with the missus for a couple of months. Bloke I worked with was a Liverpool fan because of yossi benayoun! Sadly he died a year or so ago (only in his early 30's).

Real Madrid and Barca defiantly seemed to be the most popular.

What cultural bond is that? Do we sell platzels at half time? Slap mizuzahs on the stadium doorways? Shut down for Rosh Hashaneh? The only link is the once upon a time we were popular with Jewish football goers when there were a lot of Jewish Londoners. That was decades ago. Now actual Jewish football fans are a minority and plenty, sadly, support the scum as well. The idea of us being a Jewish club is mostly driven now by the fact that our owners and chairman are Jewish and by mostly gentile fans who have appropriated the identity, and the expression "yid", for themselves. For this reason I don't see why young Jews abroad should be drawn to us (or Ajax for that matter). It's also one of the reasons why I get a bit embarrassed when gentiles fly the Israeli flag at games as it neither represents the club or it's remaining Jewish fans.

You're right. Most find it abit odd I think. I do know an Israeli st holder though who I think started supporting us when he got here because of the "yid army" thing.

Found it odd when lazio (?) fans had Palestinian flags. The conflict really doesn't need football lads hijacking it...

You're right. Most find it abit odd I think. I do know an Israeli st holder though who I think started supporting us when he got here because of the "yid army" thing.

Found it odd when lazio (?) fans had Palestinian flags. The conflict really doesn't need football lads hijacking it...

Celtic - have fines from UEFA for flying Palestinian flags

Bagels (or biegels as must London Jews used to know them) are hardly Jewish culture these days. They're pretty mainstream.

That said, I miss those bagels. I likes the, you guessed it, smoked salmon and cream cheese one. It's what inspired my username!
I was only joking but I did read platzels as pretzels so that was where I was coming from... On a side note just picked a dozen biegels from Brick Lane if anyone wants any.

But have they actually been priced out of going or is it a conscious choice for them to just refuse paying over a certain level.......is their support based on the cost of going being incidental to their wealth......

there are plenty of teams I wouldn't bother opening my curtains to watch, clearly that isn't the case with Spurs - it could even be argued that the ticket prices for many matches are too low given that virtually every match is a sell out

Personally I think football tickets are over priced but you've got rise tinted glasses on if you look back with fondness at a time when tickets were ten a penny and don't question why they were so easy to come by........something must not have been too great about the whole match day experience
If you are unemployed you can't afford football. Unless you have saved from previous employment or are involved with criminality.
If you are 16 and in college from a one parent family, you cannot afford to go to football. You get about £60pw.
Not everyone has a decent paid job and can afford a ST or credit card debt.
Like I said before if football prices rose to inflation it would be £7-£10 for the cheapest ticket.
Also our average attendance in 78 in div 2 was 33,000.

Btw the average weekly wage is supposed to be £500. £100 per day.
Yet who actually earns £2k a month working in shops, restaurants, labouring , customer services, or other non skilled jobs?
A friend doesn't even get that and he manages a restaurant. He relies on a decent trunc to get that.

Last edited:
The 1981 final cost £2.50. I assume that was the cheapest ticket, I was in the home end standing.
going by the Bank of England inflation calculater, and I've rounded it up, that would be £10 today.
Yet the cheapest ticket for a semi or final at Wembley today is £50 isn't it?
5 x the rate.
That's more than cigarettes which is about 3x

I was there last Feb and surprised how little presence or relevance Spurs had .
Talking to a bunch of very friendly 19 years ish jewish lads kicking a ball around , their families originally from Iran, Algeria and Eastern Europe had no knowledge of us and all supported Madrid. They all wanted to be identified with winners not cultural bonds , if there are any really. This was at Tiberius on the sea of Galilee .
The odd Sports bar l saw in Tel Aviv nothing there . Many recent arrivals from Russia have no links to anything in Western Europe.
AS from a Christian heritage it was hard maybe to break down barriers.
The absolute majority are manu\pool and arse*** after them. Our heritage as the Jewish club was rather unknown here up until the early 00's (as the british Jewish community is very "distant" from Israel unlike the American one and the fact that support for foreign football was superficial). Most know Ajax but a few know of us or Bayern.

Though in recent year there is a surge of new supporters also due to our image as the Jewish club becoming more known, but bottom line most pick teams according to success (local chelsea supporters don't understand why I go all red when I see them in the blue shirt as their NF\C18 history is also unknown). Imagine what it was like growing up back in the days here, I literally knew no other spurs supporter until the internet came and we created a network.

p.s. Tiberius...I doubt they can even point to Britain on a globe there. backwater shitehole. Also sports bars or bars in general are no where the "Anglophiles" watch matches, it's considered tacky.

Flav

The Fighting Cock
For many years the atmosphere in modern football has been on a steady decline. Sky Sports took over the broadcast rights of top flight football, the Premier League was formed, and we have seen the type of vocal support, once synonymous with football clubs, suffer ever since. Football had become sterilised, the fan experience less important. The key was money, and making lots of it. Football in England became a commodity, and the fans with it – easily taxable for a chance to see players of ‘world’s most exciting league’ in the flesh. Clubs would hire expensive branding consultants to redesign and re-launch the badge – it should be sleeker, advertiser friendly, free of symbolism that would confuse potential fans from far off lands, the latin slogans translated into English or dropped altogether.

Sky Sports pumped vulgar amounts of cash and launched news channels; the Premier League allowed them to reschedule football matches to make them easier to market. We had Grand Slam Sunday and Monday Night Football. Supporters suffered, while players, club owners, agents, and television stations reaped the reward. And so, fans sick of paying money out only to see their team perform with mediocrity (as they had no doubt always done) would sing and support less, and moan, mutter and boo instead. Winning became all-important, and to many club’s fans, the only thing that mattered.

One part of the reason why I love Tottenham so much is that for years our supporters bucked the trend. We would, win or lose, sing for the shirt and the players within in, loudly and proudly without a moment’s thought. The atmosphere at The Lane was heralded across the land by our own fans and the media alike:

Journalist Kevin Palmer of ESPN once said: Tottenham fans deserve credit for injecting the most electric atmosphere in London football. Chelsea's Stamford Bridge, Woolwich's Emirates Stadium and the rest are muted compared to this enclosed bowl.

But eventually, the inevitable happened. You’ll find some Spurs fans that still regard the support we provide the players as something to behold. And in certain games this remains fact. But the more honest of us will admit that over the last few seasons certainly, the volume at the Lane has been somewhat muted.

It’s a difficult thing to remedy. You’re attempting to stir the inner passion of 36,000 people. You’re up against everything that Sky Sports has instilled in your everyday fan. If your team wins they’re amazing, and if they lose they’re nothing. Tradition and love dissolve to nothing when your players have their backs against the ropes.

But then The Fighting Cock had an idea. The Tottenham Ultras. We wanted to find a fixture we knew would be poorly attended. White Hart Lane sells out every home game that the first team plays in. The academy team obviously doesn’t have such a luxury. We decided upon a FA Youth Cup fixture scheduled for 16 February 2012 against Charlton at The Valley.

Forget the word ‘Ultra’. When we decided to use that word we knew exactly what it meant. But we chose it so people instinctively knew what we wanted from those that attended: come along, support the young players who are as much part of the club as Gareth Bale or Luka Modric, and sing as loud and for as long as you can. Show them players, and more importantly, the shirt their wearing, what they mean to us. But the Tottenham Ultras was and is certainly nothing to do with violence. We only harnessed its proper meaning:

Ultras are a type of sports fans renowned for their fanatical and elaborate displays of "support". They are predominantly European and followers of football teams. The behavioral tendency of ultras groups includes the use of flares (primarily in tifo choreography), chanting/singing in large groups and the displaying of banners at football stadiums, all of which are designed to create an atmosphere which they believe encourages their own team and intimidates opposing players and supporters.

We thought that 100 would turn up. Actually we desperately hoped that 100 would turn up. On the morning of the game I had images of just 30, and you know what, we would have been happy with that. What we were not expecting is the Yid Army in force. 250 Tottenham Hotspur fans turned up and did not let up, it was a cacophony of noise, it was everything we had hoped it would be, and more. Neigh. It was the one of the best moments of our Tottenham supporting lives. Passion. Pride. Energy. Everything that following football was once about. And it was fiver on the door.

We sung our hearts out. Every minute flew by as the passion carried us through a tight and scrappy affair. Tightly packed in the corner of the stand, in front of a Blue and White Banner that simply stated ‘FOLLOW’, surrounded by cowbells, horns, and flags, we sung. Not even the confiscation of our marching drum – ordered especially from Germany at no small cost – could quell the tide of Tottenham euphoria. It was truly an amazing thing to be involved in, and no doubt bare witness to.

We lost 1-0. A quality free kick in the 94th minute to smash our dreams. But we were defiant. We would not be crushed. And responded with yet more song, louder than before. The final whistle went and the young players were crushed, many of them slumped to the pitch. But we cheered, and slowly they rose, and they came to us, looked at us, and saw the passion in our eyes. For that moment, we were one together. Tottenham Hotspur, player and fan, a unit, the Yid Army.

Back
Top Bottom