We are going to go on a run now...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We need to end the current run of league games without a win and start a new one of consecutive wins.

bullshit...u think avb stopped after giving shit to the media...
no fucking way, he has killed sammy and the other melters...u seen them posting lately

I was in the Sin Bin you fucking tit....

And Ive given AVB the praise he deserves for the Man U game.

One game at a time is the way Im taking it. For me it was the best performance of the season and a massive, massive improvement in our game.

For you, and countless others though, there was no improvement.....because there was "no problem". Maybe you think we've played that well all season? Odd.

Hopefully the improvement continues tonight. Its nice for me to see a difference in our approach. Shame for you its same same.

In one way, and this may sound strange, but the defeats by West Ham, Newcastle, etc. at home and the drubbing by City may actually help us out. Of course we'll miss those points dropped, but if it encourages teams who might otherwise have come and parked the bus to believe that perhaps the cracks are appearing and that they can get something from their games with us, then that might not be a bad thing. May leave some spaces for us to exploit and get our confidence back.

We need a run of 4-3 victories to keep things interesting and Spursy :avbpray:

One game at a time is the way Im taking it. For me it was the best performance of the season and a massive, massive improvement in our game.

For you, and countless others though, there was no improvement.....because there was "no problem". Maybe you think we've played that well all season? Odd.

Hopefully the improvement continues tonight. Its nice for me to see a difference in our approach. Shame for you its same same.

I think our position on this is very similar, Sammy. I think both your criticism of AVB and mine was based on issues that were worked out somewhat against United- mainly, the obsession with possession and constriction (and the refusal to mix this up with quickly, deadly breaks) which had previously deadened our goal threat.

AVB's looser 4-4-1-1 worked really well against United and left me feeling properly stimulated by Spurs for the first time in a long while, for which I give him full credit. I think we both made our opinions on our shortcomings under AVB pretty clear well before the game, and I think it was pretty obvious that AVB worked on those same problems before last weekend as even his fiercest supporters will admit we looked like a different (and more deadly) outfit.

I see your point, though just because many of us "didn't see a problem" doesn't mean we couldn't see an improvement, or take joy in the more direct play. I personally didn't "see a problem" because I believe AVB had the team play the way they did to avoid losing points while letting the new players gel and find the best 11 - I don't think he ever intended on playing that way the whole season, he just had to drop it and go for goals against united as a display of intent following the city debacle.

I think our position on this is very similar, Sammy. I think both your criticism of AVB and mine was based on issues that were worked out somewhat against United- mainly, the obsession with possession and constriction (and the refusal to mix this up with quickly, deadly breaks) which had previously deadened our goal threat.

AVB's looser 4-4-1-1 worked really well against United and left me feeling properly stimulated by Spurs for the first time in a long while, for which I give him full credit.

A few people shared our views and aired them...others were quiet, I guess they didnt want to be labelled as a gooner.

The Utd game, for us at least, was very, very different.

I see your point, though just because many of us "didn't see a problem" doesn't mean we couldn't see an improvement, or take joy in the more direct play. I personally didn't "see a problem" because I believe AVB had the team play the way they did to avoid losing points while letting the new players gel and find the best 11 - I don't think he ever intended on playing that way the whole season, he just had to drop it and go for goals against united as a display of intent following the city debacle.

And in doing so, we got a better performance out of many of our players. Walker was immense...no surprise that Lennon was in front of him.....

The point many made was that the talent in the squad was being restricted. I think the Utd game showed that to be the case. At least we can all agree we want that game to be a benchmark.

A few people shared our views and aired them...others were quiet, I guess they didnt want to be labelled as a gooner.

The Utd game, for us at least, was very, very different.

In fairness, I do understand people fighting his corner back when we were playing turgid, dull football. I think the difference between them and us is that they had faith that AVB was capable of changing up his system significantly whereas I thought he was just too stubborn to do so. Still to early to tell for sure but I will put my hands up and say last weekend was an indication that I may have been wrong.

Maybe we may have to forfeit the top four spot to win a trophy. Possibly our winning run will be cup games?
If we sacrifice the league for cups then there's a chance we'll get knocked out, not to be pessemistic. But, we need to aim for top 4 and try for a cup along with it, that way we can guarantee Champions League football next season and attempt a cup win and keep Mr. Levy happy with the Avie Bee.

In fairness, I do understand people fighting his corner back when we were playing turgid, dull football. I think the difference between them and us is that they had faith that AVB was capable of changing up his system significantly whereas I thought he was just too stubborn to do so. Still to early to tell for sure but I will put my hands up and say last weekend was an indication that I may have been wrong.

Absolutely....I have nothing against people backing him, but wont stand for being called a gooner, or being accused of wanting us to lose because I refused to deny that we had serious, serious issues in our game.

Great positive thread. I'm a guinness kinda half full myself also. Loads of winnable games and, hopefully, the opportunity to get a few goals and confidence back.

I mean, furfuxake, we've more points that last year. Lets get behind the team and get back up that bloody league.

Back
Top Bottom