Walter Tull on TV, 9pm Sat

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Walter Tull is a legend and we should have a statue of him out side our ground. He is a real inspirational figure and hero.
Why should we have a statue of him outside the ground? Seems like a stand up accomplished guy and that, but in terms of history of the club there are many many more important and influential to the history of the club ... shall we have a statue of Walter Tull over that of Bill Nic, Greavsey, Blanchflower etc etc ...

Why should we have a statue of him outside the ground? Seems like a stand up accomplished guy and that, but in terms of history of the club there are many many more important and influential to the history of the club ... shall we have a statue of Walter Tull over that of Bill Nic, Greavsey, Blanchflower etc etc ...
First black player for the club and even more impressive first black officer in the british army despite their being a colour to non white officers. Died fighting for his country and definitely deserves a statue. BTW I also think having a statue of the other legends would be great. Personally I would name the 'wall' after Bill Nick. Don't think the club will do it though with the stadium sponsorship/NFL deal.

First black player for the club and even more impressive first black officer in the british army despite their being a colour to non white officers. Died fighting for his country and definitely deserves a statue. BTW I also think having a statue of the other legends would be great. Personally I would name the 'wall' after Bill Nick. Don't think the club will do it though with the stadium sponsorship/NFL deal.

As others have pointed out it would be very hypocritical of the club since we binned him as soon as the levels of abuse got too much.

As others have pointed out it would be very hypocritical of the club since we binned him as soon as the levels of abuse got too much.
I disagree. Personally I feel it would be great statement about how the club has moved forward. As a history teacher who includes Walter Tull in our WW1 syllabus I have to say students find his story inspirational and having a statue would really help the club to engage with the diverse community it is part of. The fact that his story was buried so long by the club is shameful but they can put things right.

I disagree. Personally I feel it would be great statement about how the club has moved forward. As a history teacher who includes Walter Tull in our WW1 syllabus I have to say students find his story inspirational and having a statue would really help the club to engage with the diverse community it is part of. The fact that his story was buried so long by the club is shameful but they can put things right.

Can't really argue with that.
When I first read about him it was purely from the WW1 point of view.
When I realised that he had played for us I was really proud that we defied the prejudices (especially at that time).
I felt equally disgusted with the way the club treated him.

As you say a statue would go some way to acknowledge that.

On another note, the history syllabus has obviously changed a lot since I was at school. We spent 3 months learning about crop rotations in the 18th century!

Because his story completely transcends football. Tottenham is an incredibly diverse place and Tull could (should) be a symbol of the club and the community it represents.

Jesus christ. You must have chewed on the wrong peace of paella today son! God damn those that promote multiculturalism!
I just vomited a bit in my mouth. Please keep your lefty, multiculti activism out of our schools, if you would be so kind. It's an interesting story, that's all.

I still teach that bro hahahah
When I realised that he had played for us I was really proud that we defied the prejudices (especially at that time).

On another note, the history syllabus has obviously changed a lot since I was at school. We spent 3 months learning about crop rotations in the 18th century!

Walter Tull should get Military Cross, says Tottenham MP David Lammy

So this Tull then?

220px-Jethro_Tull_%28agriculturist%29.jpg

Walter Tull should get Military Cross, says Tottenham MP David Lammy
Rose and his two Spurs and England team-mates learned about the life of Tull at a presentation at St George's Park this week.
Rose said: "It's a shame that, growing up in England, I'd never heard of Walter and what he'd been through.
"It's a pretty emotional, moving story. I'm a bit embarrassed I hadn't heard of him before today. I'm going to do my research and find out as much as I can."
Hmmm... won't be the FIRST Spurs player you've had to Google then, Will it?:roseunsure:

It is somewhat disingenuous to view the time through the prism of our contemporary standpoint.
Black people were still rare in Western society and the prevalent attitude was that they were 'inferior.'

Measure then, the sheer courage of the man just to exist in that climate. To put yourself in that climate of abuse, probably bordering on hatred, week after week after week, would daunt even the bravest of men.

Add to that the patriotism, whatever your view of the word. to go and fight for a country that doesn't recognise you, into an industrialised killing machine, and show yourself to be a leader of men?
The man was a colossus, and it has long been remiss of the club to ignore the fact.

Know what you mean abou the syllabus changing. Same for me at my school back in the day. More Jethro Tull than Walter Tull.

Back
Top Bottom