Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is he taking the piss or actually being serious? Either way it's hilarious :roflmao:
Well I think if you have to ask... you'll never really know!!!
irony
ˈʌɪrəni/
noun:
irony
  1. the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
    "‘Don't go overboard with the gratitude,’ he rejoined with heavy irony"
    synonyms: sarcasm, sardonicism, dryness, causticity, sharpness, acerbity, acid, bitterness, trenchancy, mordancy, cynicism;
    antonyms: sincerity
    • a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result; ie: Vincent Janssen lifting a tin-pot end-of season meaningless trophy as if it were the Champions league and World Cup rolled into one!
      plural noun: ironies
      "the irony is that I thought he could help me"
      synonyms: paradox, paradoxical nature, incongruity, incongruousness, peculiarity
      "the irony of the situation hit her"
      antonyms: logic
    • a literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character's words or actions is clear to the audience or reader although unknown to the character.
      noun: dramatic irony; plural noun: tragic irony

Love the fact that he is still positive and genuinely looks like he is trying his best for the team.
That may be why Poch keep giving him a chance. He has the right attitude for the squad. Humble. Young. Works hard. Seems relatively happy despite his goal drought. No complaining to the media about not playing.

Levy went and signed the Dutch version of Jozy Altidore. Good for his country, good in the Netherlands, but send him to England and he's useless.

If anything, it's more likely that he just can't play like Kane. He's good at support, but he doesn't seem to get into the scoring positions to get the goals.

Some prolific strikers (like Ibra) are only good if they are stood around the box waiting for the ball, rather than pressing and dropping back.

Maybe he'll get better at it, maybe he won't. We'll have to wait and see, but it's too early to write him off

I still maintain Vinny is decent and feel insulted on his behalf that he has suffered the indignity of being compared to Altidore.
Not much love for Altidore here, lol. But I think there are some similarities.

-both relatively large, physical players
-both played for AZ in the Eredivisie
-both scored 31 goals in 34 games for AZ
-both have solid records for their national teams
-both a disaster in the Premier League

Not much love for Altidore here, lol. But I think there are some similarities.

-both relatively large, physical players
-both played for AZ in the Eredivisie
-both scored 31 goals in 34 games for AZ
-both have solid records for their national teams
-both a disaster in the Premier League

I think disaster is harsh , Fernando Torres to Chelsea is a disaster, Janssen is a lad who hasn't had the rub of the green but worse ways we will lose 30% to deprecation.

I still maintain Vinny is decent and feel insulted on his behalf that he has suffered the indignity of being compared to Altidore.

If the shoe fits... Altidore is an easy target to criticize because he's American and everybody knows all American footballers are second rate athletes not good enough for the major sports there, but Janssen gets the benefit of the doubt because he's Dutch, so must be good like Bergkamp or Van Nistelroy. I'd be disappointed if he's still here come September personally. He can't play with Kane but he's behind Son when Kane's injured. And he could be further behind and struggling to make the bench if we make a few good signings.

If the shoe fits... Altidore is an easy target to criticize because he's American and everybody knows all American footballers are second rate athletes not good enough for the major sports there, but Janssen gets the benefit of the doubt because he's Dutch, so must be good like Bergkamp or Van Nistelroy. I'd be disappointed if he's still here come September personally. He can't play with Kane but he's behind Son when Kane's injured. And he could be further behind and struggling to make the bench if we make a few good signings.

Always amazed when our own fans write off a player, especially a young one after only 1 season in the Prem.

Surely history shows that a lot of players signed from other countries take time to settle and need at least a season to get used to the pace of the prem.

I think he offers us something different and with a full pre-season behind him will have a lot more confidence going into next season. Missing easy chances is a confidence thing which will hopefully come. Not getting chances is more worrying and i think we saw this a bit earlier on when he seemed to be playing on the shoulder of every defender rather than finding space.

The problem with this team that Poch's built is that no players are unlikeable, actually shit or not putting the effort in and yes i think even Sissoko has contributed, although hopefully we'll see a lot more if he's still here next season...... some fans just need a target/boo boy to make them feel better.

At times over the last couple of seasons every one of our players has had shit posted about them including Kane, Loris, Eriksen it's laughable.

Always amazed when our own fans write off a player, especially a young one after only 1 season in the Prem.

Surely history shows that a lot of players signed from other countries take time to settle and need at least a season to get used to the pace of the prem.

I think he offers us something different and with a full pre-season behind him will have a lot more confidence going into next season. Missing easy chances is a confidence thing which will hopefully come. Not getting chances is more worrying and i think we saw this a bit earlier on when he seemed to be playing on the shoulder of every defender rather than finding space.

The problem with this team that Poch's built is that no players are unlikeable, actually shit or not putting the effort in and yes i think even Sissoko has contributed, although hopefully we'll see a lot more if he's still here next season...... some fans just need a target/boo boy to make them feel better.

At times over the last couple of seasons every one of our players has had shit posted about them including Kane, Loris, Eriksen it's laughable.

All you need to see is potential. I don't see enough. I see a guy busting his gut to little effect, playing at a level above his station. If he was at Woolwich under Wenger I'd expect him to get several more seasons of under performance before quietly being shipped out. Think Bendtner. Think Chamakh. And I'm pretty sure they scored more than a single open play league goal (in injury time in a 4-0 win) in their first seasons. Poch is more ruthless and less belligerent and I'm pretty sure he'll be moved along.

Back
Top Bottom