Victor Wanyama

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With respect cancelling his contract means he will be compensated handsomely.

It will be a mutually agreed arrangement.

Theres no way he will take a pay cut. If we are cancelling his contract it means hes making a mockery of training. ie hes so bad now, its causing a distraction to the others. Bearing in mind he was going to go to Angers its no suprise. Thats a lower level champsionship club

Theres no way he will take a pay cut. If we are cancelling his contract it means hes making a mockery of training. ie hes so bad now, its causing a distraction to the others. Bearing in mind he was going to go to Angers its no suprise. Thats a lower level champsionship club

Yup but cancelling his contract means that he's entitled to be paid in full his wages for the remainder of his contract - 18 months. Its thought he's on about £65k pw so 18 months of wages gives him £5m.

There would be negotiation around that between Spurs and Wanyama's people, so that's the upper amount.

But its certainly going to be a big settlement, probably with him signing on at another club on a lower wage, but in aggregate the compensation from Spurs plus the wages from the new club will probably exceed the £5m, but paid over a couple of years.

So he's going to be even better off than before -and remember he's been on the £65k (£3m pa) wage for about 3 years at Spurs,,,,,,,not to mention reasonable salaries at Southampton and Celtic before that, so he may well end up making £10m or so from his football career.

So sorry he may have to give up a job he enjoys earlier than he planned - but he'll have made more money than most people will see in their lifetimes......so am I feeling that sorry for him ?

As we have to pay his wages whether he stays or not, why not just keep him.
Have him in a player/coach role for the kids

Issues around keeping him is that if we need to register him it cuts down the number of overseas trained players we can have in our squad - and we always struggle to keep within that limit

So if he stays to coach (if he can do and these days you often need coaching badges) he'll be a coach paid more than anyone else other than coaching stars like Mourhino, Klopp et al.

I think there will e talks around terminating his contracts - making the point that he's had some decent offers (eg Club Bruges last summer) but declined to take them.

But terminating a contract without paying out all remaining wages requires co-operation from Wanyama and his advisors - but the fact they screwed up the Bruges offer is not a good omen.

Is he even a footballer anymore? He had a chance to go and play in the CL for Bruges but chose to bum around here for a season instead. Seems like he'll only to with a pay off. One great season and one great goal. Pretty terrible signing all things considered.

He was of that period when a lot of African players moved across to European clubs when their ages had been falsified

I’ve always had my doubts but I can be a bit of the non trusting cynical side of opinion
Not EVERY African player is gonna be Obafemi 'Old Man' Martens y'know!

Is he even a footballer anymore? He had a chance to go and play in the CL for Bruges but chose to bum around here for a season instead. Seems like he'll only to with a pay off. One great season and one great goal. Pretty terrible signing all things considered.
Nah he’s on his pension. Shame

Such a shame, as he was close to as perfect a DM as could be, in his first season. So unlucky to get an injury that has ruined a first class career. I hope he can get something more suited elsewhere.

I am clearly very sad that it went like this with big Vic.
And I would be estatic having prime-Wanyama in our team now!!

But he was never "close to perfect DM". With all the respect - he wasn't even in his prime close to quality of Kante in Leicester title season nor his 1st in Chelsea (for me, the latest example of perfect DM). He did everything that Wanyama did, but he was faster and more dynamic + better passing range.

Though I can totally agree that he was the best DM we have had in long-long time. Though Scotty, after arriving, was close to him in terms of quality.

Hope we manage to find solution regarding him. No real point of keeping him on books "just because". I see little problem with him trying to play somewhere in weaker league. If it does not work, id does not work. But the guy loves football, so I am cheering for him to make it somewhere.

Thanks for good memories and lot of spaghetti to you, big Vic!

Absolutely agree Mrs P

the only reservation regularly gets brought up re Wanyama is his genuine age

did he break easier cos age was playing a part and is this also why no one wants to sign him

But for a solid season he was outstanding and your right .... prime vic is exactly what we’re crying out for

"Regularly?" ....Never seen that levelled at him before.

I am clearly very sad that it went like this with big Vic.
And I would be estatic having prime-Wanyama in our team now!!

But he was never "close to perfect DM". With all the respect - he wasn't even in his prime close to quality of Kante in Leicester title season nor his 1st in Chelsea (for me, the latest example of perfect DM). He did everything that Wanyama did, but he was faster and more dynamic + better passing range.

Though I can totally agree that he was the best DM we have had in long-long time. Though Scotty, after arriving, was close to him in terms of quality.

Hope we manage to find solution regarding him. No real point of keeping him on books "just because". I see little problem with him trying to play somewhere in weaker league. If it does not work, id does not work. But the guy loves football, so I am cheering for him to make it somewhere.

Thanks for good memories and lot of spaghetti to you, big Vic!

2 things:

For that peak season he was top draw. You're wrong.

If he loves football like you suggest; he'd have left by now having obviously been told he has no future here.

There’s a lot out there about Vic and his age or Kenyans ‘age cheating ‘. I mean he represented the national team at 15 !! If pushed ... I’d doubt heavily Wanyama is 28

Again, seen nothing speculated since he's been here.

Well airfixx in this age of digital information at the ends of ones fingertips .... just type it in

voila you’ll have your answer

I hope you’re not seriously asking me to list and link anything I may have read over the past few years

you’re perfectly capable

Back
Top Bottom