Victor Wanyama

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was of that period when a lot of African players moved across to European clubs when their ages had been falsified

I’ve always had my doubts but I can be a bit of the non trusting cynical side of opinion

Well the records show he joined Celtic in 2011, so I guess we can agree he's at least nine years old right?

Sadly as the Y2K thing wiped out all pre-existing digital records I guess we'll never know... Otherwise you could

"just type it in - voila you’ll have your answer"

but you can't.

Well the records show he joined Celtic in 2011, so I guess we can agree he's at least nine years old right?

Sadly as the Y2K thing wiped out all pre-existing digital records I guess we'll never know... Otherwise you could

"just type it in - voila you’ll have your answer"

but you can't.
Fuck I remember that countdown. We hadn’t set the clocks right god damn it

the tears the grief

a digital Armageddon....but worst of all we’ll never truly be able to search with confidence

‘how old is big vic’

Not really a laughing matter. He was one of our best players.

Its very sad for him to lose his career like this. If the club are thinking of cancelling his contract, that really is the end for him. I just hope he has insurance.
Hes not losing his career I think. We are cancelling his contract so he can find another club since the transfer window is closed. Maybe he might find somewhere who will only pay half the wage that he gets here. We give him a payout of half the money and all sides are happy.

Hes not losing his career I think. We are cancelling his contract so he can find another club since the transfer window is closed. Maybe he might find somewhere who will only pay half the wage that he gets here. We give him a payout of half the money and all sides are happy.
It doesn't matter if his contract is cancelled now does it? He still can't register wi
Not really a laughing matter. He was one of our best players.

Its very sad for him to lose his career like this. If the club are thinking of cancelling his contract, that really is the end for him. I just hope he has insurance.
He gets paid out in near to full if he digs his heels in, same as if he sees out his contract. He had offers so its a win for him financially I would think.

It's been clear his body has not been up to it for a year or so.

Agree its sad but cancelling his contract is not a negative for him.

It doesn't matter if his contract is cancelled now does it? He still can't register wi

He gets paid out in near to full if he digs his heels in, same as if he sees out his contract. He had offers so its a win for him financially I would think.

It's been clear his body has not been up to it for a year or so.

Agree its sad but cancelling his contract is not a negative for him.

If we cancel his deal, he becomes a free agent and can sign anywhere he wants.

But not register until the next window. He needed to be a free agent when the window is open to be able to be registered.

I'm pretty sure that this is right.

Looks like you're right.

"Clubs can still sign free agents throughout the course of the year, as long as they were not registered to a club at the start of the season....."

Makes no difference to Vic whether he terminates or sits on his arse under contract then.

Looks like you're right.

"Clubs can still sign free agents throughout the course of the year, as long as they were not registered to a club at the start of the season....."

Makes no difference to Vic whether he terminates or sits on his arse under contract then.
No, he will be looking to getting near full value out of his Spurs contract I imagine. Can't see him sailing through a medical

If we cancel his deal, he becomes a free agent and can sign anywhere he wants.
He can, but he can't be registered to play until next season, that would only be if we cancelled his contract prior to the window closing. So if it's true we're trying to do that, it's a bit shit of us to have waited.

No, he will be looking to getting near full value out of his Spurs contract I imagine. Can't see him sailing through a medical

Does make you wonder if any of his discussed moves (such as Belgium) ever got as far as a medical... If not, any outrage directed at board or player about them not happening is all a bit premature really.

But not register until the next window. He needed to be a free agent when the window is open to be able to be registered.

I'm pretty sure that this is right.

Absolutely correct, but not sure how that operates in different countries/leagues.

So for example MLS (ie USA) opens its window on (I think) 6 February for a month or two - so if he agreed to cancel his contract quickly he could go to MLS next day.

Absolutely correct, but not sure how that operates in different countries/leagues.

So for example MLS (ie USA) opens its window on (I think) 6 February for a month or two - so if he agreed to cancel his contract quickly he could go to MLS next day.
I Thought That but it's got to be a fifa thing rather than uefa I would have thought

Does make you wonder if any of his discussed moves (such as Belgium) ever got as far as a medical... If not, any outrage directed at board or player about them not happening is all a bit premature really.

When Wanyama is being touted round by his agent, or indeed Levy, once there is some level of interest shown in the player the potential purchaser will be given a briefing on the players medical history,

Therefore before the medical, the potential purchaser will know about his past medical condition, just a question then about whatever else comes out of the medical or is the condition of the player worse than disclosed to them - and what the potential purchaser thinks of the medical results.

If they find something and potential purchaser doesn't like the result the player might not be bought ('failed the medical' - but that is very unusual) or there is a discussion on price or structure eg more add ons based upon games played but less fixed feee.

2 things:

For that peak season he was top draw. You're wrong.

If he loves football like you suggest; he'd have left by now having obviously been told he has no future here.

No. He was not. He still had his limitations (quite average passing ability, lack of dynamism - he was strong as hell and could run well in straight line, but when he had to make sharp turns... well not quite his thing).
Ppl just go revisionist from years back. But I get it. I remember from childhood as well that it was always warm and sunny summers combined with cold and snowy winters - no gray spring nor autumn :D !

No. He was not. He still had his limitations (quite average passing ability, lack of dynamism - he was strong as hell and could run well in straight line, but when he had to make sharp turns... well not quite his thing).
Ppl just go revisionist from years back. But I get it. I remember from childhood as well that it was always warm and sunny summers combined with cold and snowy winters - no gray spring nor autumn :D !

Once settled in, he was on a huge upward curve that season... By the time it ended, he was dribbling like he was possessed by the spirit of Dembele (long mazey dribbles, extremely difficult to knock off the ball)... Dynamic, up an down the pitch; confident he could still get back into position when required.

I remember good and bad from childhood.... (i.e. When Dembele was struggling to positively impact our game; when Vic initially looked shit and he and Dier would just get in each other's way... I wanted him dropped originally); but this is why it was such a crying shame that injury struck when it did and meant Vic didn't get to carry on improving on the trajectory he was on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom