Underrated!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think it's got to be Wanyama or Jan.

I was thrilled when we brought in Wanyama and it seemed that a lot of people questioned the signing. I heard a lot of "Why bring Wanyama in, he's just going to stunt Dier's growth." and "He'll be a good backup but won't get 1st team minutes."

I also think that Jan is kind of taken for granted. He's just as important to our defense as Toby but I didn't see the same type of doom & gloom from pundits when Jan went down as when Toby did.

I don't think half of you understand the term 'underrated'.

Vorm is probably the only one who's been mentioned who is actually underrated.. He's the best backup keeper in the league but nobody in the media or other fans have mentioned it.

Every player in our starting eleven has been credited at least a few times this season, except maybe Davies.

Maybe we shouldn't look at who is underrated by the media as we know, we have players giving it all. Maybe the question should be, where can we improve , to up a level and compete for the
PL against teams as Chelsea and LC last season. Players may be underrated by the media but unless we start competeing seriously for the PL we will always be underrated as a club.

Son , he is a fantastic player who has done very well for us but only ever seems one game away from harsh critism by some on this forum , it's not that many years ago that a player of that a player of Son's quality would have been hands down our best player.

I think our squad is missing Lamela,

Yes. He brings something to the squad that others don't. For me, his best role is coming off the bench like at the Citeh away 2-1 last season. We ran them to a standstill, EL comes on and provides a great assist for Eriksen, probably our best away result of the season.

But I can't see him in the starting line up now. Who for? Dele? Eriksen? Both score way more goals that he ever has done. He's only ever got 8 PL goals for us in total. Son scores way more too. With the 3-4-3, that leaves one less space in MF if Moose and Victor start, further reducing EL chances.

Even last season he was behind Chadli in the pecking order for a while, and that was when NC was coming off the bench. Chadli as we know left to get first team action. I can see Lamela doing the same, he just won't get the starts and the game time. Even with Kane out v Soton he wouldnt have started, and the way the game panned out, he wouldnt have even been a sub ahead of Trippier (forced, I take it Walker was struggling?), Winks (to shore up the MF, not a Lamela attribute), VinJan (striker, again not a Lamela role).

Son, he is an excellant finisher, knows where the goal is and works unselfishly for the team. He is judged on good and bad games whether he scores or not. He is much more tyan that. Today he didnt score but had an excellent game.

Do we care or should we care what the media think, its all baloney. We know Poch would not have any player who is a tosser. They are all performing well and giving it all, unlike the shite from N7 or is it N5 or N whatever?
I think the postcode is se18, mate

Vorm is a good call, the guy has always done a good job despite playing hardly any games. He doesn't moan a lot considering and as another poster said he'd get into a lot of PL teams.
I'm happy for all our players to remain under the radar, Dele and Kane can take the headlines. I'm getting uneasy about the focus on Toby - the last thing we need is for him to get poached.

Eriksen, easily one of the finest creative players in Europe. Absolutely pivotal to our play, and usually when he's up for it we're up for it.

I dread the day Bayern will notice his existence.

To be fair, I've heard plenty of pundits call him the best in the league.

Yeah I've heard them getting close to it but they always have disclaimers like "one of the best in the league" or "top three CBs in the league". I don't think I've heard anyone come out and say he is the best in the league. Probably pains a lot of people to give Spurs players that kind of credit as we aren't 'traditional' top four.

I think the issue we're all skirting around is that, (for once) NONE of our players are overrated! ...and any that were, have already been offloaded!
I think that's why so many current players' names have been bandied about, and no one can seem to settle on just one or two truly underrated players... The whole SQUAD is underrated!

... considering that in two consecutive seasons we've occupied 2nd spot going into April!

If that was ANY ONE of the other Sky Big Top 4 they'd be described as 'challenging' for the title!

As it is, (due partly to last seasons' spontaneous combustion, and Chelsea's 'unassailable' 10-point lead this) we've not been suggested as genuine contenders to win the league yet, despite the obvious progress we've made.

That in itself is underrating the quality and ability of Spurs as a CLUB, never mind an individual player or two!

Harry Winks...

9Cxlvxm.jpg

:adegrin2:

Yeah I've heard them getting close to it but they always have disclaimers like "one of the best in the league" or "top three CBs in the league". I don't think I've heard anyone come out and say he is the best in the league. Probably pains a lot of people to give Spurs players that kind of credit as we aren't 'traditional' top four.
Phil Neville referred to Toby as the best defender in the PL multiple times during the Southampton match (I was streaming the NBC feed)

Back
Top Bottom