UCL Matchday 5 - Olympiacos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm all for playing the best available 11 and winning every game, but would argue if we want the best chance of winning as many games between now and the new year - squad management will be essential.

Our upcoming schedule is very hectic. Just look at our Champions League group - of course I want us to win 15-0, but a draw mathematically pretty much puts us through... and a defeat still leaves things in our hands. That's not saying play for the draw.. it's just the numbers.

A West Ham
--- 2 days rest
H Olympiacos
--- 3 days rest
H Bournemouth
--- 3 days rest
A Man Utd
--- 2 days rest
H Burnley
--- 3 days rest
A Bayern
--- 3 days rest
A Wolves
--- 6 days rest
H Chelsea
--- 3 days rest
H Brighton
--- 1 day rest
A Norwich
--- 3 days rest
A Southampton

For me - we can still finish 2nd-3rd in the league, winning the Champions League and FA Cup.
We will need to use 20+ players, and see no reason why we can't rotate a handful of players and still win the game comfortably.
It's going to be interesting who he picks regardless.

Agree that rotation over the next month (or actually probably 4 months) is necessary with the number of games and limited rest between them.

But I still think that we will start with a strong team tonight, maybe 2 or 3 different players from West Ham (Davies definitely out, so one or two others), and possibly bringing on 3 different subs from that used v Wham.

And v Wham, again 1-3 changes, repeat and rinse throughout December

Over maybe 4 or 5 games he will then see all or most of the 25 man squad (including the likes of Walker-Peters and Skipp) - which, other than resting key players, is the other benefit from rotation, he knows who else he can bring in who will not let him (and us) down and that they are being kept match fit, particularly if there is an injury.

Sadly think your targets of 2nd/3rd in PL are mathematically challenging, so I'd be happy with 4th, but in knock out competitions, anything could happen !

Last edited:
Mental to think Mourinho is going to throw Sessengon in at left back in a cl game unless Rose' knock means he isn't fit enough to play imo and peacenick57 I applaud your sentiment but absolutely no way we should be singing about Pochettino in Joses first home game-if hes back in the stand to watch a game or comes back as an opposition manager then fine, absolutely but our relationship is over and its a new chapter and we should show the love for the club players and manager.

Are there any hotspur members that can help me get a ticket for this, I spoke to the ticket office this morning and they said they can only sell the tickets to members that have been so prior to the CL draw.

Still feels weird...
EKQQwTGWwAEruq3

I think we'll go strong, seeing as it IS only Mourinho's 2nd game... and he tends to go with 'tried & trusted' in his first few games, WHEREVER he has gone.

Experienced players playing in their favoured positions, in an uncomplicated formation they can 'll understand isn't rocket Science...
Mourinho knows what works...

Having said that, if Davies/Rose are doubts, I'd play Sess at LB, and Lo Celso in goal!!

---------Gazza--------
Foyth-Sanchez-Toby-Sessegnon
----Dier---Ndombele----
-Son----Alli----Lo Celso-
----------Kane------------

I dont want to see Rose anywhere near the squad. Just like with Eriksen - he is not part of Spurs future.
I say let's continue looking forward AND continue this formation where one fullback takes more attacking position like in previous game. Let Sess roam and Foyth sit back.

That lineup would mean -
- 4 changes with fresh faces
- our main core of attack (Alli-Son-Kane) and base of the defence (Sanchez-Toby) would remain untouched
- yet same formation in the sense of one fullback playing higher up

Please, put Parrott on the bench - if we do well in first 60 minutes, he could come on and get some valuable moments in the big-boys tournament in our new fantastic stadium.

COYS!!!

Stop reading my mind!! 👀

Back
Top Bottom