Tottenham vs Burnley: Revenge of the Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One major positive from today though. Nearly 70,000 for a Sunday afternoon, summer holiday fixture, against Burnley. Now that IS something to be fucking proud of. What a fantastic fan base we really have. Well done Yids.
What a shame the fan base has to watch in a neutral sanitized red toilet that his home to every team in England

We are such fucking slow starters every season...

And in the past this has cost us CL football.

Can't discount dropping points at this time of the season. They comeback to haunt you in May. Be it top 2,4 or top 6.

I know the reasoning behind what Levy does in terms of transfers but it does not change the fact it costs us points and stability in August.

Have had some time to reflect and at the end of the day we got a point in a game where i thought we were rubbish. Hopefully today's result lights a fire under the boards ass and allows them to go out and get a few signings.

We are such fucking slow starters every season...

Apparently due to Poch "Wanting the players to hit peak at the right time". From what I've read he thinks that if we're fit for the start of the season we will burn out. So instead the aim is to struggle through the first month or two and then hit form in the Winter period onwards. We looked dead in the last 10-15 mins, struggled to move the ball or their legs.

I'm not sure I agree with the thinking behind Poch's "fitness plans". I would prefer a strong start to put psychological pressure on our rivals straight from the start.

Both Leicester and Chelsea started strong and they won the title. We start slow and both times lose it. I don't think the penny has quite dropped for Poch regarding this. No point hitting form in December if your rivals are already 10 points ahead.

Apparently due to Poch "Wanting the players to hit peak at the right time". From what I've read he thinks that if we're fit for the start of the season we will burn out. So instead the aim is to struggle through the first month or two and then hit form in the Winter period onwards. We looked dead in the last 10-15 mins, struggled to move the ball or their legs.

I'm not sure I agree with the thinking behind Poch's "fitness plans". I would prefer a strong start to put psychological pressure on our rivals straight from the start.

Both Leicester and Chelsea started strong and they won the title. We start slow and both times lose it. I don't think the penny has quite dropped for Poch regarding this. No point hitting form in December if your rivals are already 10 points ahead.

It's does help however Levy getting all your players several games in with no pre-season with us.

It's does help however Levy getting all your players several games in with no pre-season with us.

Last season we didn't really buy any "starters", team was largely the same so didn't effect us much.

This season is going to be different with the RB situation. Not helpful at all for whoever comes in there.

As soon as it was announced we were going to be playing away from WHL, I expected that season would be difficult. We do not have Home advantage. However nor do the opposition it is a neutral ground. Now not having home advantage is a problem against a fellow top 6 club but should not be against Burnley. We should beat them away and on neutral grounds.
Today I kept thinking if we do not get the 2nd then we are in danger of losing a goal. Harry just did not look like scoring but hopefully will get goals against Malta and then start scoring for us. We should of won today but start every season poorly. I think it takes a few weeks for the players to get super fit and this is vital for our pressing game.
Thought Sissoko played well today and it is worrying that incoming players are all defenders when we need more inspiration further up field.

Have had some time to reflect and at the end of the day we got a point in a game where i thought we were rubbish. Hopefully today's result lights a fire under the boards ass and allows them to go out and get a few signings.
Poch said after the game he is expecting at least 3 more coming in by Thursday.
I guess there will be a couple more leaving as well.

If his thought process is like this surely he knows he needs 18 realistic first team starters to choose from.

Look at Liverpool, Salah, Lallana, Mane, Firmino, Coutinho all vying for 3/4 attacking places, not to mention Origi. Dele and Eriksen are guaranteed starters even if in shit form. Unacceptable for me when football is as fast and furious as it is these days

Disappointing day. Don't want to hate the players too much- they worked hard against a defensively sound Burnley side. That being said, our attack could have been better. It didn't lose us the match, though.

At the end however, our right side completely disintegrated. Sissoko seems to have re-positioned himself centrally for some reason, and left Tripper to fend for himself, the end result (imo) being the tying goal. Not really sure why Sissoko decided to do that but I think it was pretty poor positioning on his part. I really don't understand why we continue to play Sissoko out right. He still looks unsure about what to do there even after a whole season. At this point, I feel like I'd rather have any of Winks, Son, or GKN there.

Trippier for his part I thought looked a bit too casual all day, and finally got punished for it late on. I'm really glad Aurier is coming in to give us some physicality and aggression in that position.

Looking forward to the next match to help rid my memories of this one.

Back
Top Bottom