Tottenham vs Burnley: Revenge of the Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We need at least 3 more signings. And they gotta be players who can bring something to our starting 11 not just hopeful squad fillers.
I've always maintained that we need someone in CM who can pass the ball a lot better than our current lot. I know I sound like a broken record here, but we have too many physical players who can fight/run but can't pick out a one-touch accurate forward pass. That's what we desperately need above all else.

This game was all about poor game management. Into the last 5 mins you have dominated without carving open a dogged Burnley team. You haven't played well but you've got the goal. Fuck it just do what they did to us in the first half. Two banks of four, sit deep solid shape, play out time. Instead, we continued to press high and left ourselves wide open at the back and went to pieces ball possession wise at the end. We looked so naive in the last 5 mins, same as after we'd equalised against Chelsea.

Our game management is hopeless and that is down to one man.

Now it's not that I don't appreciate all he has done for us and I'd prefer his brand of football any day. But there is no way a Mourinho or Conte team doesn't see out that game 1-0 and there's the reason we are struggling to turn our impressive seasons into silverware under Poch.

Lack of competition for places and complacency has cost us at the start of the season again. Poch has been practically begging for new players, the players themselves pleading for new faces, while our super rich owners sit on their fucking backsides waiting for the bargain pick-a-mix players to hopefully pop up at the end of the window. 3rd in the league followed by 2nd in the league followed by standing still and hoping for the best. Disgraceful for a club of our size and stature

It just seemed like it was scripted. Like someone brought a packet of fortune cookies to the game and in each one a little message read "Burnley to equalise in the 92nd minute"

Haha, did yours switch to the LFC-Goons commentary at the critical moment? It felt like the anasthetic before the lethal injection as Burnley attacked, the lack of concern in the commentator's voice lulled me into a false state of security.

Maybe that's what Trippier was listening to as well

Yeah mate. Thought it was just me and I was hearing voices or something. Quite freaked me at the time.

danny.jpg

Only highlight is that Lamela is another week closer to being fit. He would have made a big difference today I feel. Perfect game for him.
Lol. He's coming back from a long lay off. It's going to be a long time before he gets anywhere near his best and he wasn't exactly setting the world alight with his performances earlier.

Time to reset during the international break and get our shit together. The late signings never have helped in the previous seasons and we always dropped points at the beginning before our signings gel and we start picking up wins again.

But anyways, the :levystare: genius saves a few million at the cost of maybe only 5 points by delaying our signings always till the end, so it is ok.

maybe brought on Sanchez when the mighty Burnley were carving us open at will....?

Poch's biggest weakness, how awful he handles subs. Every single season. Leaves it too late or brings on wrong players.

What the fuck did Sissoko do today to shore up the defense? Fuck all. Baffling.

we look spooked. that's the only way to say it. I don't know if it's Wembley or seeing all our competitors spending silly money but we look spooked. Fuck this, I'm going to go drink some beer and smoke a spliff.

Why the tuck were our back 4 pushing so far up with 5 minutes to go? Sit back and play the game out. Poor tactical management allround.

Literally nobody has claimed that we haven't struggled so far at Wembley. I just think you're a fucking moron for believing the reason is the pitch is big.

Our problems at Wembley are 100% mental, and I believe we'll sort it out and become stronger as a club for it.

I'm going to disagree. There is clearly an issue with our usually reliable central players being comfortable making up the 3 or 4 extra feet to cover wingbacks.

It's not just down to Trippier though, is it? It was down to everyone involved.

Is Trippier to blame for Kanes misses? Or the defense pressing high in the 90th min? Or the fact Poch left the subs too late yet again?

92nd minute and he brings on Sanchez. Brilliant, that'll help. It was everyones fault and Trippier was as shit as everyone else.

It's never one thing. It's just that this one thing was so ridiculously obvious and so easily fixable that it sticks out like a giant facial wart.

I know that's hard to believe given all the complete morons that claimed Trippier was the second coming of Kyle Walker and depth wasn't an issue.

They seem to have all gone run off into hiding now though.

The defence is not the problem. Tripper is not a good defender anyway. We should know that.
The problem is having nobody in central midfield who can get into the box. Dembele tires and Dier is too immobile.
Dembele seems to get a nose bleed when he reaches the area.
It's to slow and predictable.
Our midfield was getting over run each time we lost the ball at the death, tand we didn't stop losing it trying stupid passes or long balls that came back.
He brought winks on to put 3 in the middle to counter that. Ironically the only CM who likes to get into the box.
He's on a a short while and what does he do, the very thing we should be doing earlier, not whabhe was brought on to do.
He burst up, playing a one two which went astray and they did what they had been doing before, but scored.
Amateurish.
Keep,the ball one up with mins to go.We were playing like we were chasing the game. Use the fucking pitch, it's supposed to be big.
It was coming but only the players couldn't see it.

Was at the game and I can assure you all of two things

Firstly Wembley isn't the problem, we are. Sanchez is an important signing as we seemed to switch off massively towards the end.

Secondly we need new players. Barkley for me is an absolute must as is Aurier. Davies and Trippier regardless of how well they fit the squad simply aren't good enough for Spurs and if you disagree you need your head tested.

Thought Sissoko showed signs and Kane had a rough game, as did Eriksen who I feel is struggling with the pitch more than most. We are lacking something but don't worry too much, it's only a few tweaks, we'll be fine.

I hope Pochettino is telling a few of them to buck their ideas up in that dressing room as they were defensively sloppy today and had a real lack of creativity going forward. We were far too easy to defend against

Onto the next one COYS

Back
Top Bottom