Tottenham N17.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes the area has had it's low point but It's representative of the London i grew up in.

Greek, Turkish, Kurdish, Somali, Caribbean, Bangladeshi, Russian, Polish... Portuguese.... and all the food, music and pure culture that comes with that diversity... it's a wonderful thing.

Anyone who has a problem with that can take their attitude back to the 70's along with bell bottoms and monkey noises.

Or perhaps we would prefer to take our matchdays in a super-gentrified, socially cleansed Islington.

Broke my heart walking up the High Street seeing all the burnt down buildings and utter carnage..

A big piece of Tottenham was lost during these riots, and I'm not just talking about bricks and mortar..

It's a soulless area these days which is such a shame..
Plenty of pride still there Billy. I don't see much of them these days but I occasionally meet up with some old mates who still live on Broadwater Farm and neighbouring roads, there is still a very strong community. Actually, it takes something like the riots to bring it closer and tighter but that too might mean the gap between old bill and them is larger not closer.

Derby day is still a day where you see the locals hanging out their windows giving it to the scum as they make their sheepish way down the High Road, always reminds me that their is passion there. If Spurs get it right, pricing, there is a wonderful opportunity of having people feeling connected with a Club that can make them be proud of where they live but most importantly afford to go to a game and be apart of what we feel. Fingers crossed.

But it's true. How many rich go out mugging people, selling drugs, become gang members, and commit GBH etc etc. Poor people are far more likely to be slobs and bring up children badly. You can be PC and pretend otherwise, but it's true. THFC is an oasis in shit hole, FACT

*goes and masturbates onto a Thatcher shrine*

My mrs hates going to Tottenham. I love it :dembelelol:

Not the football part (well, partially), but the place. We did a comprimise a few years ago where we stayed in Holborn on the Friday to see Warhorse, then stayed in a room above a Pub in Tottenham after the match on a Saturday. She wasn't impressed, and it bucketed it down the whole Saturday.

I did also gate crash someone's birthday party in the pub and got pissed, so that didn't help. I've always felt more comfortable in places that make the stuck up folk feel uncomfortable. Tottenham is just a quirky mix of Carribean culture and lower class housing - look beyond that, and everyone seems far more friendly than the twats in the rest of London.

The football club will play a big part in the regeneration of the area and should carry on the local community activities they have been involved in, especially with the schools and young people.

Tottenham has crime issues, much like any other deprived area of the UK, mostly linked to drugs.

Some of the biggest criminals I have seen, have either been MP's sitting in parliament, refusing until recently to see the link between drugs and crime and people in suits working for investment banks......

For years I've watched footballers looking very awkward whilst shaking hands or doing any foundation/charity stuff etc...

This bunch seem far more interested and engaged in the work being done.

Look, I have been going to Spurs since the early 70s, and to be honest it has never been a haven, but now it is a shite hole occupied by scumbags and drug dealers. Match days are the only time to visit the area, and that's because of a heavy police presence. The stadium and everything on the grid will no doubt look great, but it's people that make a nice area, and the people who live in Tottenham are far from nice.

So poor people are scumbags is what you think? Or is it just poor immigrants you just don't like?

I used to live in Tottenham, and most of the anti social behaviour I witnessed was certainly from pissed up football fans.

Lets not dress it up people,its our spiritual home but it has a major problem with gang violence and gun crime(along with Wood green next door).Its not a nice place,for a variety of reasons.If the club upgrading helps improve that ,good.Hopefully facilities for the local kids get improvements as well,because thats the grass roots of the problem.
True, we had youth clubs and then older mixed clubs where you could just hang about, watch tv play pool , but there was always something going on. You could do judo, rehearse if you had a band, do pottery, art.
Apart from football, before we were teenagers
We did rock climbing, caving, potholing, archery, assault course, orienteering, hill walks etc on weeks away with the club. Even went to USA with the local boys club
Kids found something they liked. It kept us occupied. Pad a pittance in subs. Yet they are all gone now, flats.
Fucking scandalous and the wonder why kids are running about the streets.
Thatcher is to blame. Took away all the funding and it went downhill from there.

I was referring to the high road in particular.. I remember as a boy walking up the High Road and many Old Boys would be in their gardens saying "enjoy the game Boy" or asking you what the score was going to be.. Now you walk up the High Road and barely one person could give a toss if there was a match or not. It's nothing like it used to be.
I can understand that. I can't imagine it being like that, have never known it.

But there are still plenty of yids who still live in Tottenham, I remember last time we beat the scum, going round to the Park Lane after the game and in the council blocks behind it loads of people had gone out onto the balconies and were joining in with all the songs...was quality. See lots of Spurs shirts etc still around Tottenham, though too many goons as well.

So basically once a month? The walk TO the ground before kick off is nothing like it used to be in the 80's. Match day on the high road was special. Not so much now..
I get it fairly frequently if visiting family in the area on matchdays, usually someone asking how the game went.

I understand your other point (although not having experienced the 80's myself) but I think that's partly down to football culture changing as a whole rather than specifically a reflection on Tottenham.
My dad and his friends used to get down to the Lane early and be in the ground long before kickoff, there was a much different buzz on a matchday I expect.

Now people don't turn up until 5-10 minutes before kickoff (despite Spurs best efforts to get people there an hour beforehand). You're not going to get the same atmosphere building up to the game. Although as others have said NLD's are still pretty special and I'd hate to experience it as a gooner having to walk up the high road and having the welcome from our fans on the corner of the Park Lane.
The difference in visiting their place is astounding, I'm not sure what NLD's at Highbury were like (although my dad has some good stories from his visits) but I'd hate watching football there every week.

Let's hope it's binned for a nice long spell this time.

Can use his free time to comment on Daily Mail articles about how Polish people have stolen his job.

No room for those levels of xenophobia or social profiling. Tottenham is one of the most vibrant, diverse and accepting places i know.... i don't want people like him associated with my club in any way.

Go and support Stoke if that's the shit you believe in.

Last edited:
I do wonder what impact there might be on the area when Spurs don't play their home matches there for a year. I would think this is going to hit the pubs, fast food shops and match day vans and stalls quite hard. On the plus side, at the end of it there will be a 50% bigger crowd in future, but it might require an understanding bank manager in the interim.

I've noticed that in Cheshunt, where my parents still live, more and more of the black community from North London are moving out. I think this is indicative of the ever expanding London. With the regeneration the stadium will bring, and with the gentrification of London continuing to expand, I wouldn't mind betting that Tottenham will be very different in 20-30 years.
Agree, and I think that places in the Home Counties which are currently quite homogenous White British places will change a lot as a result of the same phenomenon.

Back
Top Bottom