Tottenham Hotspur Vs Wolverhampton Yam Yam Wanderers. (Sat 17th Feb 15:00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really poor take. Like something from the proper footballer geezer playbook.

The pitch was compressed into their third, it’s not about “not” taking risks it’s about there being no space to take them.

We didn’t score from taking a risk, we scored from a couple of lucky bounces and a toe poke through the keepers legs. They scored from us taking risks - IE Bissouma trying to dribble in a crowded spot.

You don’t beat bus parks by just doing stupid stuff and ceding possession, you beat it with patience and intelligence and if you are lucky a bit of brilliance- something our forward line is very bereft of.

We definitely need a player (or two) who can dribble 1v1 and better, more intelligent and technically proficient forwards. But even then we’ll still get the odd game where we get skanked by a bus park.
We’ll have none of that level headed thinking today right now it’s about knee jerking and finger pointing.

Ever since the Spurs crowd seemed to hold him personally responsible for Conte's wingback system failing, I've found a large section of Spurs fans attitude to Emerson Royal utterly baffling.

In what way was Royal "shocking" today? Kept one of the best and most in form wingers in the PL relatively quiet all day. Constantly moving and showing for the ball as his inverted role demands - generally neat and tidy and recycling to better ball users as Ange has asked him. Had a decent shot and put in several good crosses.

He misplaced two passes all day afaicr. The second one almost led to a goal for them but HE blocked it. If he was "slow" in ballmovement he wasn't exactly Robinson fucking Crusoe in that department.

Yes he's not nearly as good on the ball as Porro - but Porro has done fuck all with the ball this year. In fact Royal's movement and showing was better than Porro's has been for quite some time. I put that down to fatigue on Porro's part but still...

Compare this to Bissouma who had no impact on the game and was directly responsible for their second goal (which Royal had defended perfectly well to stop Neto and turn him back when one on one).

We all know Porro is first choice and fair enough. But this weird need for Spurs fans to pretend like Royal being on the pitch is the reason we play badly is utter fucking bollocks. So strange.
How about the time he tried a crossfield pass and it sailed over our player for a throw? He did some of his defensive duties well but I'd expect that from a PL defender. Otherwise nothing going forward. Certainly nothing like Porro gives us.

I thought we'd plumbed the depths with Aurier but Emerson is not far off.

I'm certainly not pretending that today's loss was down to him. Only VdV and Vicario emerged with credit

From ‘Tottenham till I die’

“Whilst that result was disappointing, some of the backlash that's followed is ridiculous.

Fans trying to say it was worse than Conte ball, fans saying we've gone backwards, some even saying we won't get Europe which would mean throwing away a 11pt lead on 7th place in order to get no Europe at all.

Fans trying to say we've been found out, even fans saying Ange has his head on the Liverpool job. Other fans saying he looks disinterested, just because he's stood there with his arms crossed, That's Ange, he always does that, nothing to see there stop looking to invent new agendas.

Yes we lost, yes we're disappointed, in fact I was very angry at the final whistle, but we have not been found out, Ange has not lost interest and we will recover. Stop blowing it out of all proportion.

We've made our job harder but not impossible. We've got 2 weeks to prepare for Palace and 2 weeks for everyone to recharge and come back stronger..

Let's stop all this exaggerating about Wolves outplaying and dominating us, We had 79% possession and we created more chances. They just took their chances better on the day. Porro and Udogie instead of Emerson and Davies would have been far better to watch.”

How about the time he tried a crossfield pass and it sailed over our player for a throw? He did some of his defensive duties well but I'd expect that from a PL defender. Otherwise nothing going forward. Certainly nothing like Porro gives us.

Yes that was one of the two badly misplaced passes I referred to. Porro also misplaces passes. Udogie has done it several times directly to the opposition costing us goals and points.

Emerson is second choice. blaming him for the poor performance of our first 11 is ridiculous. He was no worse than anyone today and better than a hell of a lot of them. That's my point.

Richy was bad today. Sonny should have moved to CF after halftime.

Also, the ball movement in the final third was way too slow. Tons of possession but not enough shots.

I'm certainly not pretending that today's loss was down to him. Only VdV and Vicario emerged with credit
Emerson did alright. But alright in Ange system will mean slow build up. Anyone who's defending Emerson should rewatch the game and see how easily dispossessed he was, how slow he was in passing, how predictable he was in his passes (he probably only passed to Kulu, Romero and Biss) he couldn't even dare to cross ffs given all the time and space that Wolves players have no interest in closing him down anymore in the 2nd half.

At one point we had a fast break, and that was only because Romero zippy pass found Johnson. If that pass was made by Emerson, he would have taken a few more touches to jog forward and make a slow pass instead.

The difference between him and Porro is immense. I wouldn't have thought that was the case, but perhaps Porro has grown so much that Emerson, being no fault of his own and doing things alright without much mistakes, is becoming the weakest link in Ange set up. Which is why I no longer as pissed with him as when he was playing Conte ball, but more sorry for him that the game has evolved past him.

He has to be upgraded and sold next season.

Another 10-15 games and the fans will start to turn on Ange while still ignoring the cancer at the heart of the club.

The cycle is predictable, we've all seen it before.

I'm seeing people making excuses about fatigue and needing a break?? Why? We have played 5-10 less games than the sides around us, and we can't even play a game a week without looking lethargic apparently.

All of them need a boot up the arse.

Stop all the laughing and joking, all the high fiving and filming each other on your phones that I keep seeing on the official training vids and start getting fucking serious.

Today was not acceptable. Zero points from Wolves is not acceptable.

Stop making excuses for them, they have one game to play a week and cant even manage that.

Back
Top Bottom