Tottenham Hotspur vs The Bottling, Diving, Scummy Woolwich. Sun 28th April, 2:00pm kick-off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The panel split over Kulusevski penalty incident in north London derby​

INCIDENT: Spurs wanted a penalty for a challenge made by Leandro Trossard on Dejan Kulusevski before Woolwich scored their second goal.
DERMOT SAYS: "I think there is a little bit of a nick on him, but then he clips his own heel. For me, minimal contact not a penalty."
Stephen Warnock: "I think it's a penalty. The big thing for me is, whether it is minimal contact or not, there is contact.
"I don't like it because it is very difficult to get out of the way of. Trossard clips his heel which makes him then cross his legs.
"By interfering with my stride pattern, you have knocked my leg where I can only kick my own leg. But I don't go down unless you don't touch me. That can only be a penalty."
Taking into account the fact that Dermot Gallagher is an utterly brainless tosspot, it clearly should have been a penalty.

On Dermott’s point, do the laws mention anything about contact being minimal or do they just describe a foul in the area being a penalty and not refer to the amount of contact at all?

The law doesn’t mention level of contact. It just says that an offence punishable usually by a free kick should be a penalty if inside the box, that’s it. The free kick rules mostly just refer to careless.

See Merson couldnt resist a little snipe at Dawson on sky yesterday. Give it two weeks Merson will be telling everyone again he was a gambler, cocaine addict and had a drink problem. Get the vibe hes angling for a MBE for being a lowlife.

Really frustrates me that as a club we just accept poor ref decisions
You know if we took the opposite approach that, rather than pander to us in response, the League would double down and give us even less.

And fans across the country would laugh about it.

We don't have the sway to do that, we'd have the piss ripped out of us from every quarter just like Forest for their histrionics.

The law doesn’t mention level of contact. It just says that an offence punishable usually by a free kick should be a penalty if inside the box, that’s it. The free kick rules mostly just refer to careless.
OK, so as I would say technically (and actually) a penalty with a but…*

* in this case, a fucking but that screwed us over… :cautious:

I used to be a defender and I was paranoid as hell if I ever touched a player foot to foot that the whistle would go.

OK, so as I would say technically (and actually) a penalty with a but…*

* in this case, a fucking but that screwed us over… :cautious:

I used to be a defender and I was paranoid as hell if I ever touched a player foot to foot that the whistle would go.

I didn’t think penalty at first at all. I could barely even see the contact. On rewatches there is slight contact.

I’d be shocked if an on field ref gave it and it’s one that VAR will never overturn as not enough in it. If Oliver does give it (which he won’t, given he didn’t for a kick in the balls) they wouldn’t overturn.

I agree with Ange that referees have become too unaccountable. They still need to make decisions because VAR only overturn the ridiculous choices.

I didn’t think penalty at first at all. I could barely even see the contact. On rewatches there is slight contact.

I’d be shocked if an on field ref gave it and it’s one that VAR will never overturn as not enough in it. If Oliver does give it (which he won’t, given he didn’t for a kick in the balls) they wouldn’t overturn.

I agree with Ange that referees have become too unaccountable. They still need to make decisions because VAR only overturn the ridiculous choices.
That’s what I mean, “with a but”.

I’d guess if everything was strictly (and I mean, “the RoboCop version of a referee were using high precision vision”) applied even if the Woolwich player just tickles Kulusevski’s stud it is a penalty, but it wasn’t. Some minor contacts seem not to meet the threshold, in this case some won’t think it meets the threshold.

I’m not going to go much further on this. If it weren’t Tottenham, I would obviously care much less.

Spot on. I can’t believe Oliver isn’t getting slaughtered for needing the VAR to tell him he should have given the foul on Davies. He was looking right at it and waved it away.

Just shows you how referees now prefer not to whistle a big decision and leave the match changing moments to the VAR instead. Then if they don’t intervene it’s the VAR that get the stick and not the cowardly referee.

On Dermott’s point, do the laws mention anything about contact being minimal or do they just describe a foul in the area being a penalty and not refer to the amount of contact at all?

There was definite contact, Kulu lost his balance nearly falling over

Therefore penalty

Anyone saying otherwise is a cunt who should find another sport!

Spot on. I can’t believe Oliver isn’t getting slaughtered for needing the VAR to tell him he should have given the foul on Davies. He was looking right at it and waved it away.

Just shows you how referees now prefer not to whistle a big decision and leave the match changing moments to the VAR instead. Then if they don’t intervene it’s the VAR that get the stick and not the cowardly referee.

It should be a demotion. You are still the on field official. You make decisions, if those decisions are wrong you have a safety net of them getting a review. You are not just a mascot who is on the pitch just for free kicks and yellows - do your fucking job.

The issue is clear and obvious combined with referees being too scared to make decisions = loads of decisions which do need questioning not being looked at. Because clear and obvious is so vague and silly. Firstly refs, do your jobs and referee the same as if VAR didn't exist .. and secondly, absolutely the officials should still be allowed to look closely as incidents like the Kulu 'pen', even if they decide its a no.

I thought it was taking too long with VDV's goal... Obviously took them a while to find the correct frame so they could deny the goal.
There is far too much room for humans (bent cunts) to fiddle things. This could be where AI could perhaps be used. No debate AI draws the lines and that's it. Also would be a lot fucking quicker!
The thing that annoys me about the Chavs game as well is if there was no contact with VDV and Sterling then Sterling must have Dived - if he dives in the box surely its a yellow and No pen to Them or Red card - any way nothing we can do now - I just hope things change soon as its ruined Football and the way things are going I can see myself becoming less interested in Watching it.

Back
Top Bottom