Tottenham Hotspur vs The Bottling, Diving, Scummy Woolwich. Sun 28th April, 2:00pm kick-off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This fixture is almost never lost by the home side if you go back through the years, even during Wenger years we drew more often than lost at home. Form completely goes out the window on an individual and team basis for this fixture, I'd say this is hands down the most bad blood derby in the country and all 22 players on the pitch will be acutely aware of that from the first minute with our stadium in full voice. Watch Davies turn into prime Cafu.

This game is now make or break for Ange's Tottenham career IMO

Sure. A coach in his first season, at the start of his journey to build a new squad of young players should absolutely be beating the best team in England who are on exceptional form and playing with confidence.

Anything but 3 points, sack him. In fact, sack him at half time if we aren't 3 nil up.

Watched the Chelsea / Arse game and Arteta set the team up very well. It essentially revolved around setting traps in midfield. Giving a Chelsea player in the middle space to receive the ball; and then pouncing aggressively and in numbers to retake possession and catch Chelsea out of shape. This worked time and time again and Chelsea did nothing to adapt.

I fear that we will fall for the same traps, with Maddison (and Son dropping deep) probably being the weak link in midfield that they will target. They will let both players have room to receive the ball and then smash them quickly. It will be interesting to see how much physicality the ref will allow, as this could swing the pendulum.

I’m no expert, but if we play like we have in recent fixtures; I’d anticipate a score similar to the Chelsea game. They are much better than us, and we need to accept that and look to stop them playing their game; rather than trying to impose ours. Sit back, let them have the ball, stay in shape; and then try to hatch a smash and grab on the break.

I’m no expert, but if we play like we have in recent fixtures; I’d anticipate a score similar to the Chelsea game. They are much better than us, and we need to accept that and look to stop them playing their game; rather than trying to impose ours. Sit back, let them have the ball, stay in shape; and then try to hatch a smash and grab on the break.

So basically you're asking us to do a 180 on Ange's game plan for one game ?

Won't happen nor should it.

It's at our home, they are playing for a title, and us letting them dictate possession will only embolden them. The crowd will be taken out of the equation. Which is what Arteta wants.

Chelsea were fucking crap. End of. WE stand between them possibly winning it or not. WE need to dominate and frustrate them.

I think we get a result here, but it wont come from letting a team dominate us at home.

Can't believe I had ideas that Chelsea might make it a bit uncomfortable for the goons last night . It's a huge ask for us with the near certainty that we will concede a goal or more likely goals to get anything out of this match .Obviously I think our best chance is we score first and then hope that changes everything .

---------------------Vicario--------------------
Porro-------Romero----VDV-------Davies
--------------Bissouma---Sarr---------------
-------------------Bentancur-----------------
-----Johnson------------------Maddison---
---------------------Son-----------------------

Really not looking forward to this. As much as I hate Woolwich, they’ve become a formidable outfit. They’re playing some great football, and are ahead of us in where they want to be.

We have to be on top of our game and every player needs to put in 110%. Anything less and we’re in for a long afternoon.

Sure. A coach in his first season, at the start of his journey to build a new squad of young players should absolutely be beating the best team in England who are on exceptional form and playing with confidence.

Anything but 3 points, sack him. In fact, sack him at half time if we aren't 3 nil up.
I think he should stay at least a few seasons to develop the team. My point is that things will get very toxic if we get humiliated, and Levy will worry about his top 4. If we really turn up, it would give a lot of belief going into next season. Its the culture of this club, I don't make the rules.

This is embarrassing for Chelsea and a massive confidence booster for Woolwich ffs.
Could be 7 or 8 nil
Unfortunately, that could well be the result on Sunday . If we do not show up, then we be fucked. Hate say it and I am usually very optimistic/hopeful of our abilities.

So basically you're asking us to do a 180 on Ange's game plan for one game ?

Won't happen nor should it.

It's at our home, they are playing for a title, and us letting them dictate possession will only embolden them. The crowd will be taken out of the equation. Which is what Arteta wants.

Chelsea were fucking crap. End of. WE stand between them possibly winning it or not. WE need to dominate and frustrate them.

I think we get a result here, but it wont come from letting a team dominate us at home.

I'm not so sure its against Ange's game plan.

There are 3 teams in the EPL that are clearly better than us - Liverpool, Woolwich, City. We have picked up 1 win, and 2 draws against this lot - and Ange set up differently against them.

The early red card turned the Liverpool game around. But we did shut up shop early and let them have the ball. We sat back, flooded the middle of the park and forced them out wide.

City was a smash and grab on our part. Sit back, try to hit them on the break. We were outplayed and an outsider would say we stole a point in this one.

Against Arse we had more of the ball, but most of it was in our defensive 3rd, as they let us pass it around our defence and waited to press us as we progressed.

I hope no one is saying that but the pressure on Sunday comes from some pathetic and incoherent dusplays in the last few weeks.

I think Sunday is now easier, because expectation after yesterday should be tempered.

We don't have the quality of players Woolwich have, nor the physicality or aggressiveness.

More than anything for next season Podtecoglou must find a system that does not allow us to be overrun as we have done too often in the last few weeks.

Sunday could easily be a shuddering experience but at least now it's an expected one.

Oh yeah mate, we should clap and take a bow if we haven’t shipped 4 before HT… Add Postecoglou in Hall of Fame for it too.

Back
Top Bottom