Tottenham Hotspur vs The Bottling, Diving, Scummy Woolwich. Sun 28th April, 2:00pm kick-off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This system could work if you had players better or far better than that of every other team.

Problem is we won't get in players better than everyone else's because of the financial limitations of our model. We can improve the squad, sure, but not to the extent it will be easily the best in the league.

I don’t think we need to be the best squad in the league, just a bit better and have players that are suited to that system. Appreciate that can take 1-2 years and that is assuming good scouting.

Like 2 of Henry VIII's wives, you've lost your head. Log off and go for a cooldown.

I'm not bothered by these twats... I'm just not happy about the result.

(Seriously though..... That's a seriously skewed observation on your part...... Why should I allow myself to be slagged off without provocation?)

I don’t think we need to be the best squad in the league, just a bit better and have players that are suited to that system. Appreciate that can take 1-2 years and that is assuming good scouting.
The ceiling imho is top four fight; think the best teams will always find a way to play through it in our league. Even Pep and Klopp can be cynical to close out games.

Can someone explain to me the advantage of zonal marking on corners. I'm old & a bit thick so keep it simple.
I don’t like it and never have but it’s what everyone does now but that doesn’t make it right.
Small tweaks could fix it. Big problem is we have our big players doing the zonal and this means we have weak as fuck players picking up the oppositions most aggressive and best headers of the ball. Our big players are trying to win the ball from a standing jump and you don’t need to big to beat that,only timing because you’ll have a run on them.

Firstly,we need to stop giving as many corners away

Secondly, I would flip that and give our best defenders the responsibility to pick up their bigger more aggressive players

Thirdly,the body position of our zonal players are square on and they are only watching the ball and don’t have a clue who and where opposition players are running to. The need to open their bodies up where they can see the ball and where the opposition are going to attack. Watch Hojbjerg and how he can’t do anything because his body shape is wrong. Starting position and body shape is so important and gives you a better chance to win it and what direction you clear it in.

Fourthly,I love Vic and think he’s a great keeper but he needs to come and start taking crosses and take the pressure off everyone.

I’m as positive as they come and will always look for the good in the club, it’s manager and the players but I have now had to watch us lose at home to Woolwich West Ham and Chelsea.
That in itself needs to be addressed.
Not only that, we haven’t been able to win one game against these 3.
Even at our lowest we’d often win one or two of these fixtures.
If you can’t lead a team to win these games then questions need to be asked.

How shit does Son and Maddison have to be before they are left out?
I can’t remember the last time I saw either have a good game.
The players need to have a good look at themselves and the manager needs to ask himself if he is happy at us losing at home to our 3 main rivals?

I cannot remember the last manager to lose at home to Woolwich, Chelsea and West Ham in the same season.
Totally unacceptable.

Tbh this just isn't true, Airfixx has said our midfield needs improvement for a while.

Yeah, in between moaning about the nasty referees after every fucking match he might throw in the 'can we upgrade midfield? maybe, tough though, MacAllister wouldn't be a definitive upgrade on these worldies so we need to be cautious!'

The blueprint of how to play against it was set a fair couple of months ago now and we have failed to address the issues. If Ange thinks its purely personnel then we will need some serious summer movement, otherwise he needs to get his players adjusted to playing against a deep block with forwards looking to counter.
He seems stubborn in his method's, his answer is always along the lines of, we continue to play our game regardless, regardless of what that it's not fucking working.

I’m still fuming , how can this club make us so angry?
So am I despite only just getting home. Thought the journey home might rid me of my ire but this’ll gnaw away at me for some time.

Ange-in/Ange-out, trust the sodding process etc. levy’s fault as usual etc. Putting all that aside:

Was surprised to see our line up. Son is not a #9 and wanted to see Richy there. Ok. Manager picks the side and after 15 days off and nearly the full squad training, I thought we’d be well prepared and motivated 😂😂😂😂😂😂

That’ll teach me to expect any level of competence from anyone related to THFC.

Woolwich didn’t get out of 2nd gear in the 1st half and went in 3-0 up FFS. What the fuck has been going on at the training ground? Since Man City in the cup everyone has known about and exploited our achillies heal - corners. Oh and caught out with a ball over the LB yet AGAIN!!

Two ways to look at the 2nd half - a stirring comeback from our brave lads OR gift of a first goal and a VAR penalty for the 2nd (yes, the officiating was atrocious). I’m obvs favouring the latter.

Going in 0-3 I’m the NLD was and is unforgivable. There are serious questions which should be asked about this club from top to bottom. We - tge long suffering fans - have been stuck in this cycle of nearly men for decades. I wanted to see strong leadership, no back step taken today. Players winning their battles - which includes headers at corners.

I don’t care about XG or stats or processes. The team had a chance today to seriously dent our bitter rivals title chances, enhance our league position and send us all home happy. A Spurs - once again shit the bed.

From open play Davies was obviously the main issue .. not just on the ridiculous goal but throughout the game Saka had him on toast.

Udogie handles that a lot better. Others have mentioned it but we need better depth next season, its time for Emerson and Davies to go .. a lot of the work in the window next season needs to be on bulking up the squad (Tosin, new fullbacks, competition for Maddison etc) and not on players who just sit on the bench but ones who really challenge the starters.

I do worry a bit about Vicario lately as well. I know he became much loved by the fans very quickly but he's being bullied of late, and some of his handling has been suspect as well. I'm not totally convinced by some of his distribution work either.

I’m as positive as they come and will always look for the good in the club, it’s manager and the players but I have now had to watch us lose at home to Woolwich West Ham and Chelsea.
That in itself needs to be addressed.
Not only that, we haven’t been able to win one game against these 3.
Even at our lowest we’d often win one or two of these fixtures.
If you can’t lead a team to win these games then questions need to be asked.

How shit does Son and Maddison have to be before they are left out?
I can’t remember the last time I saw either have a good game.
The players need to have a good look at themselves and the manager needs to ask himself if he is happy at us losing at home to our 3 main rivals?

I cannot remember the last manager to lose at home to Woolwich, Chelsea and West Ham in the same season.
Totally unacceptable.
👏 great post

There are times when I feel my hatred for other clubs (chavs, scousers) may eclipse my feelings against this lot.
But that was back with a vengeance today.
I'm not going to dissect the game, but their first goal had me pulling my hair out. The first half was the stuff of nightmares, felt like every time they went forward, they were going to score.
Much better second half and I thought we were unlucky not to get a draw at least.
Ref was crap, as usual. The push in the back on Ritchie was ignored; five minutes later, nearly the same on one of theirs resulted in a free kick. And why did he need VAR to point out the penalty - as clear as the nose on my face! And it looked like a foul before their second, albeit I've only seen it in real time.
I probably wouldn't feel this annoyed/upset if they weren't at the top, it would have been good to pull them down a peg or two.
Sad state of affairs when I want a corrupt, oil-state backed club to win all their games (including against us) to stop them, but the alternative is too awful to contemplate.
Anyway going to stuff myself full of biscuits and chocolate, get into my PJs and watch reruns of the Repair Shop.

Back
Top Bottom