Tottenham Hotspur vs The Bottling, Diving, Scummy Woolwich. Sun 28th April, 2:00pm kick-off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They will still have more energy than us.

It's honestly incredible how we can still seem lethargic compared to teams who have played significantly more games than us.

Villa have astounded me in the last 3 weeks. Just insane, whereas we have looked like we are in quicksand by comparison.

The traitor and his team won't offer much resistance against Woolwich and will be made to look like marathon elite runners by us. Put your money on it.

Not sure man.

We'll be well up for this and we're pretty good at home. 9 wins in our last 10.

Though that one loss came when Porro and Udogie were both missing.... So here's hoping we've got atleast Porro back.

No predictions from me - I've made too many mistakes to fall into that trap.

I WANT us to win by 2 or more goals (some hopes), to help our GD vs Villa. I actually don't care how we do it either. Just get the fucking goals and don't concede any.

Recently our attack has been toothless, our midfield has been flakey and our defence seems to be either running back desperately or half asleep at corners.
Occasionally they give us periods of lovely, quick, attractive-looking, pitty-patty one-touch passing, but where do we end up? - camped on the outskirts of the opposition's 16yard box, where it all breaks down, often with Son involved.

What's the answer, in terms of tactics? Fucked if I know. Get the ball into their box as often as possible and show passion for the entire game. Not too much to ask, is it? We either win or we go down trying.

think a lot of our corner problem is down to personnel, porro and udogie arent very good in the air to be blunt, and without bentancur the midfield of maddison, bissouma/hojbjerg and sarr are also pretty weak in the air. Minus Richie and Kulu out the lineup and the forwards are even worse.
How many times did Kane clear the ball from a set piece, quite a few i bet.
Zonal marking and just watching the ball is as bad as the personel.

Every team does zonal marking these days, you man mark two or three big threats and the rest of the players defend a zone. Woolwich have the best defence in the league doing this. Zonal marking is not the reason we are shit on set pieces.

Lack of height and lack of aggression are the reason. As you say, players ball watching. Lucas Moura was a dwarf but he was aggressive on high balls and was damn good at getting to them first. If our players were as determined as him it would more than make up for the lack of height.

Every team does zonal marking these days, you man mark two or three big threats and the rest of the players defend a zone. Woolwich have the best defence in the league doing this. Zonal marking is not the reason we are shit on set pieces.

Lack of height and lack of aggression are the reason. As you say, players ball watching. Lucas Moura was a dwarf but he was aggressive on high balls and was damn good at getting to them first. If our players were as determined as him it would more than make up for the lack of height.
Our tallest players aren't great though.
Vicario struggles with physicality, VDV isn't great in the air, Bentancur doesn't seem to win many headers. We look like a team that has never seen a corner come in before.
Scarily, we often look like we've never taken one at the other end either.

We should have done everything to keep Gianni Vio.

Vicario struggles with physicality, VDV isn't great in the air, Bentancur doesn't seem to win many headers. We look like a team that has never seen a corner come in before.

Vicario is great - but he's shit at corners for sure.

Emerson and Davies playing are the least of our problems. They are both competent defensively and have done well enough when called on.

Our big names are the ones that worry me. Son, Sarr, Bissouma and Maddison have been terrible recently. We had our best defence playing in recent matches and we still got battered because the boys in front were abysmal.

Woolwich use Kiwior as a LB and they still win games because the rest of the team do their jobs well. There’s no excuse. I can always accept losing if we’ve put in maximum effort but the last few games we haven’t done that. The level of effort is far more important than the names on the team sheet.

Don't you remember what happened when they both played fullback in this system, which relies on them to be quick and dynamic massively, earlier in the season?

It is a huge problem to the effectiveness of our game if they both play and are asked to do the Porro/Udogie role.

there's nothing inherently wrong with Zonal marking, a lot of teams go zonal and get good results. Liverpool for example.

ours needs work, and i have no doubt it will be worked on pre season but when you 7 or 8 of your defenders in a set piece situation are made up of brennan johnson, son, werner, maddison, porro, udogie and bissouma i feel you're already at disadvantage and putting massive pressure on Romero and VDV as the only two with real commanding areal prescience

One of the many situations where we miss Harry, he would often be the guy that heads the corner away.

Back
Top Bottom