Tottenham Hotspur vs Millwall FA CUP

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What happened at stamford bridge last season? Complete and utter flap is the answer and you will flap again on Sunday ;)

Curious... How many more "flaps" would it take for us to drop down and join you in the doldrums of football?

To be fair to us, that turn out (30,000) was our lowest ever at Wembley because tickets were restricted to season ticket holders and members, plus a guest due to what happened v Wigan.

And we weren't fighting amongst ourselves this time, the fights were with Barnsley - who gave as good as they got.

The occasion we fought each other was v Wigan in the FA Cup Semi-Final of 2013. When two rival families happened to bump into each other & disputes over drug deals etc. spilled out into the stadium. This happened before in 2005 when rival families battled it out in Hungary. I don't know what north London is like, but people in south London see themselves very much part of their own 'manor' - so there has always been a rivalry between Wall fans from Bermondsey, those from Peckham, or Camberwell, Walworth, Deptford etc.

I do recall Spurs fans fighting each other at a League Cup Final in the 1990s/early 200s was it? That may have been the same thing. Also, there was trouble with Leicester City fans when some Spurs got in their end, wasn't there.

Not that you care, but before that Wigan fight saw our tickets restricted for the Barnsley Play-Off Final, our followings at Wembley before the restrictions were 49,500 v Wigan in Auto-Windscreens Cup, 49,661 v Scunthorpe United for League One PO-Final, 44,500 v Swindon Town for League One PO-Final and 40,000 for Wigan Athletic in FA Cup Semi-Final.

I do find it frustrating that our reputation conceals the many historic things about Millwall FC. That is to say, that yes we are now a small club, but those big turn-outs at Wembley were not fans of Chelsea, Woolwich etc. coming along for a fun family day out, like Leyton Orient would get, but the residue of Millwall's past.

Before the docks closed Millwall were one of best supported clubs in England. The club were the pioneers of professional football in London & the south. But, and I am sure you will have empathy for this, were stabbed in the back by Woolwich.

It was Millwall who were the shinning light of football in the south before the turn of the century - earning the nickname 'Lions of the South', which replaced the 'Dockers', for our ability to compete and beat the big northern and midlands giants. This inspired us to set-up the Southern League, which Woolwich helped with. Yet, it was Millwall who were offered a place in the FA football league as the south's first ever representative, having won the first two Southern League titles & showed their class in reaching the FA Cup Semi-Finals twice. However, we turned down the offer, wanting to stay loyal to our southern brothers & felt our league was every bit as good anyway - which Spurs proved by winning the FA Cup.

Yet, sneaky little Woolwich had other plans. They were going to go behind the Southern League's back & join up to the Football League, plus move to a bigger & better area....hmmm, where did that end up being?

By not joining & staying loyal to the Southern League Millwall missed out on an opportunity to become one of English football's big clubs. Yet, crowds of 30-50,000 still turned up to roar the Lions on in the Third Division South & Second Division. The last hoorah perhaps was when 30,000 turned up for a Third Division game in the mid 1970s, the last time that many Dockers still had work and Millwall were the centre of their world.

Ever since the Docks closed and the area has been cleared Millwall have slumped to a loyal, but modest following of 8-12,000 on average. Yet, all the families of those Dockers, many who moved out to greater London, Kent, Surrey, Essex etc. will turn up for the big games still.

The club say that the majority of the 6,000 odd season ticket holders have SE London postcodes, so there is still that link to the area. It's just that they are scaffolders, scrap mental merchants, builders, cabbies, London underground workers, binmen now...not Dockers. And there aren't enough of them to see gates of 30,000 for Third tier football anymore.

Sorry for getting all serious, but this thread had got a bit serious (and silly). I like Spurs, and thought this sneering at small clubs was more of a Chelsea/Woolwich thing to do. Especially those backstabbers from Woolwich.

Good read that, mate. Unlike the rest of the shite on here.

Fair enough I guess.
It's not a football forum though, it's a Tottenham forum.
Maybe he should take it to Football Ramble, they love that auto windscreen bollocks.
Couldn't agree more.
But I just felt the insult was unwarranted. I'd rather sit in a pub chatting to him about his love for the game and his unswerving support of an underachieving third tier team than listen to a load of bollocks from some JCL, 5 minute, chelski bore - or the pseudo "saccer" shite from our wannabe moaning punditeers.

Good grief, why are we allowing these people on this site? I don't give a hoot on what they think or do. Let them go and play on their own site, if they have the internet in South London.

8000 die hards means more to us than does 40000 day trippers at wembley. You can keep your 36000 soon to be 60000 - we know that above 70% of your number will be as plastic as those chelsea pricks. Give me 500 Wall away at Crewe on a cold wednesday night over your shower and your number any day of the week - even in the sunshine - and I know I speak for ALL OF US!
Plastics? We were getting crowds of over 50,000 in the old 2nd Division. And the season before when relegated.

Plastics? We were getting crowds of over 50,000 in the old 2nd Division. And the season before when relegated.
8.4.1978, Division 2 Spurs vs. Bolton attn.: 50,097 (actually in that season more people attended our match away to Fulham than Millwall!)
20.2.1950, Division 2 Spurs vs. SCBC, attn.: 70,302

Plastic...They're raving about historic what ifs, they should remember Charlton used to bring 70K back then (and had the biggest stadia in London) there was nothing significant that kept Millwall back (staying a few more years out of the football league certainly didn't damage other sides as much) bar for a small catchment area and always having larger sharks around them.

Well, my Spurs ticket has arrived in the post, so I guess this is a good a time to wish you farewell as any.

I think our reception in Tottenham from the home support on Sunday will be similar to mine on this forum… some interested & happy to chat, most unbothered or even a little nonplussed and a fee aggressive and hostile.

I will just sign off with these thoughts…

You will beat us and it could well be by 5 goals - but I can assure you it will not be in the manner that Woolwich rolled over for Bayern Munich. It will be because you are the far superior team.

Oddly, I am okay with this. As I wish Spurs & especially Harry Kane luck in winning the thing. Something we cannot do – and bizarrely we are the club in this tie that really need to be concentrating on the league. We are 6 points off automatic promotion & are chasing it with an elder in Morison and a bunch of academy products. We could do with a Semi-Final!

Not that we wouldn’t be over the moon to perform a miracle and reach it by beating the famous Spurs at White Hart Lane. 80 years ago we became the first team to reach the Semi-Finals outside of the top two divisions (since introduction of Div3 South & North). That was also the last time a team from outside the top flight beat 3 top tier teams in Cup, until we did it again this season. So, plenty to be proud of already anyway, but reaching our 6th FA Cup Semi-Final would be a great achievement for this knock-about club just off the Old Kent Road.

I hope there is no trouble – but fear there will be… somewhere.

I have noticed from visiting football forums over the years that while Millwall are widely condemned (rightly or wrong, I will not protest anymore on the subject) as a bunch of hooligans, many are proud of their own club’s ‘boys’… I guess that is football all over though. But remember that in the fall-out please.

NB: If you are going to discuss our history, I recommend the book 'Lions of the South' by James Murray (of Whisky Bible fame). One of the best history books on a club around. And will enlighten you beyond using wikipedia et al

8.4.1978, Division 2 Spurs vs. Bolton attn.: 50,097 (actually in that season more people attended our match away to Fulham than Millwall!)
20.2.1950, Division 2 Spurs vs. SCBC, attn.: 70,302

Plastic...They're raving about historic what ifs, they should remember Charlton used to bring 70K back then (and had the biggest stadia in London) there was nothing significant that kept Millwall back (staying a few more years out of the football league certainly didn't damage other sides as much) bar for a small catchment area and always having larger sharks around them.

Just a quick one as I caught this...

The thing that kept Millwall back was the unfair way money was divided in the pre 1960s, place the limited promotion spot. By missing out in the 1890s and waiting until the 1920s the club missed a great opportunity.

When we were getting 30-45,000 in Div 3 South we had to share half with every other club, and only get one promotion slot.

However, by the 1930s Millwall had built up a head of steam and looked set to go on to great things. Yet Adolf Hitler had other ideas. The Den suffered massive damage and insurers were not paying out after the war. We had to ground share. All momentum was lost and it cost a lot of money to rebuild.

By the time the club had recovered the slum areas were being cleared and the docks were being run down - Millwall were now staved of the huge local support it had once enjoyed.

Make no mistakes, Millwall pre WW2 were ideally placed to become a big club - heavily populated catchment area and ground swell of passionate support loyal to a club that represented them as dockers etc.

I think you are being a bit dismissive.

Just a quick one as I caught this...

The thing that kept Millwall back was the unfair way money was divided in the pre 1960s, place the limited promotion spot. By missing out in the 1890s and waiting until the 1920s the club missed a great opportunity.

When we were getting 30-45,000 in Div 3 South we had to share half with every other club, and only get one promotion slot.

However, by the 1930s Millwall had built up a head of steam and looked set to go on to great things. Yet Adolf Hitler had other ideas. The Den suffered massive damage and insurers were not paying out after the war. We had to ground share. All momentum was lost and it cost a lot of money to rebuild.

By the time the club had recovered the slum areas were being cleared and the docks were being run down - Millwall were now staved of the huge local support it had once enjoyed.

Make no mistakes, Millwall pre WW2 were ideally placed to become a big club - heavily populated catchment area and ground swell of passionate support loyal to a club that represented them as dockers etc.

I think you are being a bit dismissive.
Purely speculative, the same thought experiment could be replicated to any club within a metro area. Why not Barnsley? Palace? Fulham? Birmingham city?
All had large crowds and the properties to allow a boom that never happened.
True you're not brentford, but lamenting some possibility is quite ridiculous, you don't see us raving on what could have happened if we hadn't come to the early PL years nearly bankrupt

And for smashing up one of our local boozers in 2001 you''ll feel the lions claw on Sunday not just hear our roar!

467dc9e2d86c25dcd0067fb900603b99.jpg

Back
Top Bottom