TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs Liverpool

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gerrard was a top player in his day. No doubt about that at all imo. He must writhe in disgust every time he is mentioned in the same breath as Henderson. Like sticking pins in a voodoo doll.
He only ever had one good game for England. Massively overrated, the media had to have a star at Anfield to continually suck off and he was the only one that was half-decent. Can’t stand him for how lazy and selfish he was every time he pulled on an England shirt

The one in which they finish above us every season. They actually believe it. It's hilarious how often they mention stuff like that, and why would certain players would be interested in Spurs when Liverpool can offer trophies and top 4 football. It's fucking delusional, but they do it.

I reckon its a deep secret but Liverpool is actually a bit like North Korea, media controlled...
Its not their fault they only have access to the Mark Lawrenson BBC Predictions league table, where they haven't lost a game for 25 years.
:dembelelol:

Up at a beastly hour due to my son waking up early. This won't matter if we win, but a disappointing result will mean I'll probably be crying on the train home.

This is my first time going to a Liverpool game - hope it's a good'n. As ever, I'll be sliding through Victoria and probably having a couple in Euston if anyone's at a loose end. COYS.

Judging on what? This is the delusion I speak of. Less than half of your fan base but almost 50% higher attendance figures. I don't see any Liverpool shirts when travelling abroad, any that you see are as old and broken as your dreams of being a big club. How many trophies have you won over the last 5 years?
This is why you are the joke club of the nation. The most deluded bunch of dreamers you'll ever come across
Newcastle surely?

Klopp has not improved a weak defence. They are vulnerable on set pieces and their Centre Backs have lost more in the air than Freddie Laker.
Tuesday's line up would be interesting against their " Gegensturmfuhrerhandihockscnellenfookin'pressinglaaa.'

I am not sure I trust us against Liverpool today, there are a number of media outlets just rubbing their hands at an 'After the Lord Mayor's Show' narrative at whichever team performs worse today.

Liverpool are a strange team, they tend to perform to better against strong teams and weirdly against lower sides, they haven't won a league game since beating Leicester away 2-3 on the 23rd September, though some fortune could be attributed to the fact that Leicester had a penalty saved. They come in to this with 1 win in the last 6 premier league games.

The draw at Newcastle saw them under perform, they failed to take their chances and let in a stupidly sloppy goal. The Manchester United game they drew and were the better side but only fashioned 5 shots on target for their 63% possession but limited Manchester United to just 1 shot on target (arguably more a lack of ambition on their part). They let in silly goals, look susceptible on set pieces but of late they don't tend to concede a lot at the moment, they did let in 3 against Watford at the opener and 5 against Man City, though I am not sure if we can count Man City as a form team who trounces everyone at the moment?

The problem is our home form, on paper, we've only lost once at home this season but it's the fact we haven't been able to reproduce the same standard of performance from the Lane, the talk has been about the size of the pitch, for me it's the speed, our transitioning and our counter appears to be slower, the tempo and intensity are not the same. We've scored 3 premier league goals at home, one of which was an own goal, in 4 games. Whereas comparitively speaking away from home we've scored 12 goals in 4 league games. That's a concerning statistic.

We need to put in a decent performance because beyond the statistics we need to make Wembley ours and set our stall out in the league as we did against Dortmund. For me we need to see if Alli can come in and give us a performance, this game is almost perfect for him to show how his guile can make the difference today, I also like the idea that if it's tight towards the last 20 we can give Rose a run out and he might give us the winning edge.

Today is winnable but I can see Liverpool nicking the draw, winning convincingly today could do a whole lot for our collective belief.

Last edited:
Thing with Liverpool is, and has been for a while, they're big time Charlie's. They honestly tend to do very well against the big 6 clubs, as they raise their game.

Then drop points against the teams they 'should' beat.

We struggled against them recently for sure, however whilst Poch and the team appear to be evolving, I don't think Liverpool are. Ten thousand goals against FC Dracula in the CL means bugger all.

I think we may see a coming of age type performance from us this weekend. And see Liverpool exposed for what they are.
:harrylol:

FC Dracula................

giphy.gif

I am not sure I trust us against Liverpool today, there are a number of media outlets just rubbing their hands at an 'After the Lord Mayor's Show' narrative at whichever team performs worse today.

Liverpool are a strange team, they tend to perform to better against strong teams and weirdly against lower sides, they haven't won a league game since beating Leicester away 2-3 on the 23rd September, though some fortune could be attributed to the fact that Leicester had a penalty saved. They come in to this with 1 win in the last 6 premier league games.

The draw at Newcastle saw them under perform, they failed to take their chances and let in a stupidly sloppy goal. The Manchester United game they drew and were the better side but only fashioned 5 shots on target for their 63% possession but limited Manchester United to just 1 shot on target (arguably more a lack of ambition on their part). They let in silly goals, look susceptible on set pieces but of late they don't tend to concede a lot at the moment, they did let in 3 against Watford at the opener and 5 against Man City, though I am not sure if we can count Man City as a form team who trounces everyone at the moment?

The problem is our home form, on paper, we've only lost once at home this season but it's the fact we haven't been able to reproduce the same standard of performance from the Lane, the talk has been about the size of the pitch, for me it's the speed, our transitioning and our counter appears to be slower, the tempo and intensity are not the same. We've scored 3 premier league goals at home, one of which was an own goal, in 4 games. Whereas comparitively speaking away from home we've scored 12 goals in 4 league games. That's a concerning statistic.

We need to put in a decent performance because beyond the statistics we need to make Wembley ours and set our stall out in the league as we did against Dortmund. For me we need to see if Alli can come in and give us a performance, this game is almost perfect for him to show how his guile can make the difference today, I also like the idea that if it's tight towards the last 20 we can give Rose a run out and he might give us the winning edge.

Today is winnable but I can see Liverpool nicking the draw, winning convincingly today could do a whole lot for our collective belief.
Has there ever been a high tempo game played at Wembley? Struggling to think of a single game. I'm convinced it's the pitch, not it's size but perhaps what it's made of, that surface is as slow as fuck. I can't recall the actual game, but I recall out grounsdman tweeting proudly at his team's work on the pitch prior to kick off, and what followed was a much quicker roll to the ball. Don't think I've seen us water the pitch at half time too, which is something we always did at WHL.

I'm getting a bit mystic Meg here I know but in the words of the great cunt Richard Keys, "all is not well with" the pitch at Wembley.

Has there ever been a high tempo game played at Wembley? Struggling to think of a single game. I'm convinced it's the pitch, not it's size but perhaps what it's made of, that surface is as slow as fuck. I can't recall the actual game, but I recall out grounsdman tweeting proudly at his team's work on the pitch prior to kick off, and what followed was a much quicker roll to the ball. Don't think I've seen us water the pitch at half time too, which is something we always did at WHL.

I'm getting a bit mystic Meg here I know but in the words of the great cunt Richard Keys, "all is not well with" the pitch at Wembley.

Barcelona smashing United into oblivion was pretty high tempo.

Could be a bit of short memory remembrance but Man Utd/Southampton in the League Cup final wasn't bad either.

But you're not wrong.

A mid sized team punching above our weight !!!!.
Fuck right off.. We have a global fan base, supporters clubs all over the country, attract crowds of 70,000 and more at a neutral venue, one of the richest clubs in Europe, about to move into the best stadium in Europe (allegedly). ...We ain't no mid size team punching above our weight. We are fucking massive and have finally got back to the level we truly belong mate. In short, We are Spurs.
Can confirm. We have at least Portuguese supporters. Me and Kompreszor Kompreszor . We ain’t no middle size club fuckers.

The Dortmund game eas high tempo as well! But I'd say that you are righht on most occassions. Certainly we struggle to up the tempo there!

It’s definitely a slow surface. Like in golf some courses have quicker greens than others. If there was a football version of the ‘Stimpmeter’ I bet you’d find Wembley was one of the slowest playing surfaces.

It’s definitely a slow surface. Like in golf some courses have quicker greens than others. If there was a football version of the ‘Stimpmeter’ I bet you’d find Wembley was one of the slowest playing surfaces.
I think there may be other factors too. Like if the pitch is slow why are we not watering it at half time. When we play away, 90% of the oppo will leave the grass long and not water the pitch, Poch who seldom makes excuses complained about the Newcastle pitch earlier this year. I just don't get why we don't water the Wembley pitch, which appears to be a slow pitch anyway??? Something just doesn't ring true, a bit like Wanyama's knee.

Back
Top Bottom