Tottenham Hotspur vs Leeds United; Sunday 21st November 2021; 16.30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Interesting. I registered Conte saying he was unhappy with the quality of our final balls from the wide areas. Wonder how the team will shape up as soon as the players get familiarised with the system.
Having come in midway through the season will possibly translate to us really struggling to get to a point where the player knows his system well enough is my worry.

I think he'll stick with what he's working on now 3-4-3 (or 3-4-1-2), The most competent element has been our defence so far, even in periods where we've been poor the oppo haven't created massive chances against us (Leeds goal was really their only serious effort all game, other efforts were all tame and from outside of the box). It's still our attack that looks as if we are making it up as we go along.

Last edited:
Having come in midway through the season will possibly translate to us really struggling to get to a point where the player knows his system well enough is my worry.

I think he'll stick with what he's working on now 3-4-3 (or 3-4-1-2), The most competent element has been our defence so far, even in periods where we've been poot the oppo haven't created massive chances against us (Leeds goal was really their only serious effort all game, other efforts were all tame and from outside of the box). It's still our attack that looks as if we are making it up as we go along.
I think they'll get a good idea of the system although you're right that a pre season would've been ideal.

My bigger worry is that they won't be fit enough to play the way he wants which is high energy, high press for 90 minutes - something he talked about yesterday after the game.

Weird game. Weird day. Booing. Cheering.

Worst first half of recent times - yes, inc Nuno/Jose. Leeds fielded close to a second team yet they were excellent. Enjoyed seeing Bielsa sit on a bucket - and no I’m not a hipster. Spurs - cowed, fragile, timid, boring.

2nd half - much better. Leeds did make a weird substitute/tactical change at 1-1 but anyway. Goals from two of the worst performers in the first half; a bit of singing; much cajoling from our new manager. Dier, Moura good. As was Sanchez when he came on.

3points and much to work on. Conte gets a full week with the squad. Pleased to Sessegnon appear today. A goal for Harry can’t be too long in coming???

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

The crowd - near me (block 512) - pitiful (fries, cokes, popcorn and chit chat). No singing at all. South Stand sounds loud for a couple of bars of familiar songs but that’s about it. The old Lane this ain’t but we must find a way of making it our own and our fortress - us and the team..

Shame I missed Mrs P yet again….
Sorry that I missed you too, but I was rubbing shoulders with Michael Dawson in the Heineken Bar
;)
Brentford game?

Slightly disappointed he didn't say Que? instead of What?

que GIF

Didnt think the atmosphere was that bad. Started all right but we were fucking awful for 45 mins and its hard to keep anything going in those circumstances.

The boo boys however can fuck off, do my head in.

If we were next to the away fans there would be more banter but we can barely hear them and they can barely hear us
Exactly. The position of the away fans is a mistake; right next to what’s supposed to the family stand so all the little kids, granny and grandad have to put up with their gloating and vitriol.
I was in block 250 close to the pitch in the south stand on Sunday and the atmosphere was decent, particularly second half; thanks to some young lads giving it their best and getting things going. There was even a fight between two knobs falling out over something (best part of the first half)!

Yep that's what I'm saying. He did the right thing but the fact he had to doing was utterly cringe, I never want to see that again (but I know we will because our support right now is dead).

We've all ripped into Klopp having to cheerlead at Anfield. Our support is fucking dead.

I also thought booing the team off at the end of 1st half was completely misjudged too, if you want your manager out because you've seen nothing from them then by all means the fans are OK to do so but to boo in the guys FIRST home game is rediculous (the performance was shit, so just don't applaud them off)

The bottom line is our fanbase is dead and offer this team nothing other than singing one song once in a while.
Depends how you see it.

I thought the half time boos were a message of the sub standard performance. It triggered a response in the second half which is what we needed.

You can't have the players go through the same motions under 3 managers and be happy to accept that. These lot need to rid themselves of that easy going mentality. A match needs to be struck under these fuckers.

I also don't think Conte had his tactics quite right in the first half. We were far too deep, especially the fullbacks. He changed it in the second half but we can't play that deep and expect the other team to not dominate the ball. This is the PL, you give any team possession and they will create chances to score. The first half was also a fair reflection of Leeds playing 1v1 all over the pitch and winning their individual duels in the most part. Conte was right that the intensity wasn't there in the first half.

All I'm saying is that in the PL we can't afford to coast through games even against supposedly weaker opposition. That was a depleted Leeds team we made heavy weather of. The attitude needs to change from minute 1.

Depends how you see it.

I thought the half time boos were a message of the sub standard performance. It triggered a response in the second half which is what we needed.

You can't have the players go through the same motions under 3 managers and be happy to accept that. These lot need to rid themselves of that easy going mentality. A match needs to be struck under these fuckers.

I also don't think Conte had his tactics quite right in the first half. We were far too deep, especially the fullbacks. He changed it in the second half but we can't play that deep and expect the other team to not dominate the ball. This is the PL, you give any team possession and they will create chances to score. The first half was also a fair reflection of Leeds playing 1v1 all over the pitch and winning their individual duels in the most part. Conte was right that the intensity wasn't there in the first half.

All I'm saying is that in the PL we can't afford to coast through games even against supposedly weaker opposition. That was a depleted Leeds team we made heavy weather of. The attitude needs to change from minute 1.
For me if the players and manager aren't aware that was a bad first-half performance then we are doomed.

They don't need us fat plebs scoffing pizza and burgers booing them to say that we're not happy with their energy levels.

I do believe there's a time and a place to boo (getting a dinosaur out of the club for example but on the manager 1st PL home debut, that's ridiculous IMO. In fact, I can't ever recall that ever happening to a Tottenham Manager before, can't think of (I'm sure there are some examples) of that ever being done to a new manager for another team! And we are talking about doing it to a guy that's one of ver very best in the world!!!

Wrong vibes, this fanbase is a depressing negative mess.

Last edited:
Punters who paid to watch that first half had every right to boo, it was absolute shite. I don't think it was directed at Conte at all, it was a venting of frustration that fans have had enough of cowardly football and we expect something else now, because we have a top manager in charge. In the 2nd half, we as fans got what we wanted, some aggression. And the top manager we have saw to it that it happened (not because of the boos, but because he wanted to win the game).

At least it matches the team then

Consistency !
I openly applaud this team, they have managed to get two chances sacked, to which I will be eternally grateful.

I think these fans deserve to have Mourinho or Nuno manage their team, probably they are secretly missing the utter shitness of the performance, inept tactics, the scapegoating of players so they could unload their misery and hate and all their pent up frustrations of what tragic negative lives they wallow in.

For me if the players and manager aren't aware that was a bad first-half performance then we are doomed.

They don't need us fat plebs scoffing pizza and burgers booing them to say that we're not happy with their energy levels.

I do believe there's a time and a place to boo (getting a dinosaur out of the club for example but on the manager 1st PL home debut, that's ridiculous IMO. In fact, I can't ever recall that ever happening to a Tottenham Manager before, can't think of (I'm sure there are some examples) of that ever being done to a new manager for another team! And we are talking about doing it to a guy that's one of ver very best in the world!!!

Wrong vibes, this fanbase is a depressing negative mess.

The self entitlement and negativity has crept into our fanbase over the past few years so much so fans rightly or wrongly think they have the right to boo, let's hope Conte changes that quickly.

I have not seen any discussion on Tanganga getting subbed. I was not sure if it was injury but he is available for tomorrow. It is unusual for a CB to be subbed unless there is a problem. Does it mean his chances of starting in the PL are now low?

I have not seen any discussion on Tanganga getting subbed. I was not sure if it was injury but he is available for tomorrow. It is unusual for a CB to be subbed unless there is a problem. Does it mean his chances of starting in the PL are now low?
Because there’s not much to discuss. It was just a tactical sub for fresh legs. Sanchez had just come back from South America and was not ready for 90 minutes.

I openly applaud this team, they have managed to get two chances sacked, to which I will be eternally grateful.

Seriously; fuck that shit.....

......What about Poch? .....What about if they decide they're gonna pull that shit on Conte too?

Lazy/mutineering players are a fucking cancer regardless of whether you like the manager(s) they fucked over or not.....

Back
Top Bottom